Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
Kurdt

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/RS
HOW TO: Wind splitter installation instructions (NEW PRODUCT BY 3gcustomz)

Hello,

I am proud to say that I was the first customer* to purchase their new product called "Wind Splitter" which is a custom aluminium front splitter. Ken from 3gcustomz was very helpful and I appreciate his help regarding instructions on how to mount it. I improvised with the installation and I left some feedback as well which hopefully will improve future customers' experience.
Here is a picture with their first splitter installed on their car (mine was the 2nd ever created*):

and here is how mine turned out to be:

I need to adjust the rods a bit tomorrow during daylight. I autodipped it with black gloss and I am very pleased about the product. It is light weight since it's made of aluminium.
The price is unbeatable as well ($305 shipped).
To make things easier I would highly suggest removing the front bumper, wheel wells (optional), front tires (optional) and lifting the front up (at least on ramps for easy access)
There are plenty instructions and DIYs for bumper removal so I will stick to the splitter installation and bumper reattachment after splitter install.

Wind splitter installation instructions

I would strongly suggest getting a buddy to help you. I did the job alone but it was a bit more difficult. Installation time without painting/dipping: 4 to 6 hours

The package includes:
-aluminium wind splitter
-12 bolts with washers and nuts**
-2 spacers
-2 supporting rods (2 more can be ordered for additional cost)

The splitter comes with 6 pre-drilled holes: 2,3,4,9,10,11.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you perform a fitment check before painting/dipping. If you have a custom bumper you might need to drill additional holes.

1. After the fitment check drill 2 holes to line up with the 10mm screws that were securing the bumper to the metal bracket underneath (where the 2 square grooves are located). The 2 spacers will be placed here between the splitter and bumper. Use the 2 longer screws**. Holes 5 & 8.
Optional tip: You can leave the screws flat with the interior surface and use tape on the outside to secure the screw temporarily. This way your spacers will not fall out during bumper reattachment. Very useful when doing the job solo.

2. Drill 2 more holes at the edges to secure the splitter to the bumper. Holes 1 & 12. You can tighten these screws permanently if you want.

3. When all the holes are aligned drill 2 additional holes 6 & 7 to secure the splitter even better. you can permanently tighten these 2 screws as well.
IMPORTANT: Hole #6 needs to be drilled about 1/2" closer to the edge. I drilled it too far in the picture.

4. Supporting rods placement boils down to personal preference. My installation is ok but I need a bit longer rods so I ordered a new pair from Amazon but if want you can try to email 3gcustomz regarding the rod length right after you placed the order and they might be able to help you out.
The way I did the install is to measure right from the center to where I want the rods to be (in my case it was 18 1/2") and I placed them 1/2" from the edge. I placed a piece of cardboard on the bumper to gather the metal shavings and I drilled the holes directly with the splitter attached so I can see better if they align. Feel free to take the splitter off after measurement and drill them like that. It's all up to you.
Drilled the holes in the bumper as well and attached the rods with the hardware provided (There is a small bag with additional hardware specifically for rods)

5. Get some help if you can and reattach the bumper to your car. The screws 5 & 8 will replace the stock 10mm screws.
Also screws 3,4,5,9,10,11 will replace the factory screws used to secure the wheel well. I placed the wheel well between the bumper and the splitter aligning the 3 holes and ran the screws through. I liked the way it turned out but you can do it differently as long as you secure it.

6. Congratulations! Enjoy your new wind splitter!

Here is a side shot: with the complete installation.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a 3gcustomz employee so please do not contact me with sales and technical support related questions. The installation instructions described above are performed on a stock 2015 Camaro SS front bumper and it's based on my personal experience. I am not responsible for any damage that may occur to your vehicle during installation.

*information communicated via phone by 3gcustomz representative.
**might contain different hardware as a result of feedback.

Last edited by Kurdt; 08-27-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Do you have their web site?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Kurdt

http://shop.3gcustomz.com/
Old 08-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Very nice. You should add a step by step start to finish with pictures. Looks great.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Kurdt

I did not take pictures. I worked at night with a spot light and wanted to finish so I go to sleep ��

Last edited by Kurdt; 08-28-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt View Post
I did not takr pictures. I worked at night with a spot light and wanted to finish so I go to sleep 😊
Haha been there done that!