Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
Camaro Carbone
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2ls
Paint for the "chrome plastic" around rear lights?

Is there a paint or a replacement part to make them black? If I can paint them , Do these just pop off ? Or do you paint them on the car. Help.
Camaro Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Leem12

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro (RS)
I'm lookin to do the same I also need help
Leem12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
They pop right out and you can use plasti dip. Works great!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Camaro Carbone
Account Suspended

Really? You make it sound so easy. lol give it a try I guess.

Is Plasti dip at local stores?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
They are difficult to pop out without breaking the tabs but really easy to pop in so its easier to buy new ones, paint those and replace your originals. Just for the insurance of breaking one while you're taking it out and you're screwed.
My advice is not to buy them pre painted if you're just doing a flat black because they are outrageously expensive. Go to www.gmpartshouse.com and you can buy OEM ones for $15 each. I gave mine a good sanding and painted with a good outdoor primer first. I went with black BBQ pit paint for the top coat because that stuff is supposed to handle the heat and elements well. Give that at least 2 or 3 coats. I also alternated black coats with an outdoor clear sealer. I did the exact same thing with all of my badges. Mine look great and have stood up perfectly to the Houston summer and weekly washes. Good luck and enjoy!

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Camaro Carbone
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat 2SS View Post
They are difficult to pop out without breaking the tabs but really easy to pop in so its easier to buy new ones, paint those and replace your originals. Just for the insurance of breaking one while you're taking it out and you're screwed.
My advice is not to buy them pre painted if you're just doing a flat black because they are outrageously expensive. Go to www.gmpartshouse.com and you can buy OEM ones for $15 each. I gave mine a good sanding and painted with a good outdoor primer first. I went with black BBQ pit paint for the top coat because that stuff is supposed to handle the heat and elements well. Give that at least 2 or 3 coats. I also alternated black coats with an outdoor clear sealer. I did the exact same thing with all of my badges. Mine look great and have stood up perfectly to the Houston summer and weekly washes. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Go to YouTube and search for Camaro tail light bezel and there are a couple of good instructional videos on how to remove.

Plastidip is an ok option but you can't think of it as permanent as paint. If it starts to peel, the whole thing will come off. That might be fine for some folks but I wanted to do it once and forget it. I've seen a few raggedy applications of that around. I'm sure there are lots of folks who love the stuff, it's just not for me on things with a high polish, slick surface.

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
The toughest to pop out is the tabs next to each side of the car. I did the ones on my SS with no issues. You can buy plasti dip at the hardware store. Very common.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
I just stuck a flat head screw driver in a slot of the bezels and twisted the screw driver slightly and it would pop the tabs. I broke one of the tabs trying to pry the piece up the first time I removed them.

Don't twist the screw driver too hard or you'll bend the plastic in. Real easy, just take your time.
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
The MOAC

Drives: IBM 2011 2SS/RS
i popped mine out with no problems, very easy and looks great after words.
The MOAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
midnightwarrior
Its so hard

Drives: 2010 SS, 2009 Yamaha Warrior
After you get the first out the rest come out pretty easy. I guess because you kinda know what to feel for. I just took mine out and painted them to match my rims.
midnightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
might check out SEM Trim Black and the various SEM preps, thats what Im planning to use on mine down the road.
its a satin black and holds up well, made for exterior auto trim like wiper arms etc.
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
barking tires
Supercharger

Drives: 2SS Camaro
I ordered from carid, flat black for $89 total. Anzo supplies them had to send them back twice because they mixed flat black with gloss ones, but the third time was the charm.
barking tires is offline   Reply With Quote