Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
Get a V6
My 1970 Buick with the original 350 V8 got 12.5 mpg before I put in the 455! Something ain't right when a new fuel injected pushrod V8 with AFM gets the mileage that carbureted 350 had

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage4625 View Post
my avg speed is 25 mph and i only drive it about 15 miles a day.
This has something to do with it
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage4625 View Post
Ok only had car about 2 weeks and am only getting 12.5 mpg and dont have a heavy foot by any means actually i baby the crap out of it. It is a 2010 2ss. Is this normal and if not what can i do the fix it? I have seen things about doing a reset on here and also the type of gas? Thanks for the help in advance
savage4625,

Here are some tips you can follow to maximize your Camaro's fuel economy:
  • Keep the vehicle properly maintained: The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper vehicle maintenance, so please be encouraged to follow the vehicle’s maintenance schedule.
  • Keep the tires properly inflated: One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy is under-inflated tires. Tires with low pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting fuel.
  • Change the air filter: A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine, forcing the engine to expend energy to "breathe" and wasting fuel in the process.
  • Use the proper oil: Oil with a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine, causing more work (especially when cold).
  • Use the recommended grade (octane) fuel: An octane rated fuel recommendation is provided in your owner’s manual. Using higher octane fuels will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage.
Last but not least, you can find ways to improve your driving habits (I know you said you baby your vehicle):
  1. Avoid quick acceleration from a standstill and high cruising speeds on the highway.
  2. Remove unnecessary items from the trunk.
  3. Combine smaller trips
I hope that helps,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I have had my L99 for 6 weeks and now have 900 miles on it, average just moved from 13 to 14mpg last week. I have not reset it yet, and have a leadfoot that won't quit.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Goober
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
savage4625,

Here are some tips you can follow to maximize your Camaro's fuel economy:
  • Keep the vehicle properly maintained: The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper vehicle maintenance, so please be encouraged to follow the vehicle’s maintenance schedule.
  • Keep the tires properly inflated: One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy is under-inflated tires. Tires with low pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting fuel.
  • Change the air filter: A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine, forcing the engine to expend energy to "breathe" and wasting fuel in the process.
  • Use the proper oil: Oil with a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine, causing more work (especially when cold).
  • Use the recommended grade (octane) fuel: An octane rated fuel recommendation is provided in your owner’s manual. Using higher octane fuels will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage.
Last but not least, you can find ways to improve your driving habits (I know you said you baby your vehicle):
  1. Avoid quick acceleration from a standstill and high cruising speeds on the highway.
  2. Remove unnecessary items from the trunk.
  3. Combine smaller trips
I hope that helps,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I agree with all your suggestions except Number 1. Scratch that one off the list.
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
I agree with all your suggestions except Number 1. Scratch that one off the list.

That's a really important one!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Remember, ever car gets zero MPG when stopped at a red light
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #21
soFlo305

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Remember, ever car gets zero MPG when stopped at a red light
are you suggesting not to stop?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM   #22
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phail View Post
All depends on your definition of city driving - what is your average speed on the DIC?

I do all city driving, and my average speeds never gets over 15mph, with lots of start/stop traffic. I have a v6 and never get more then 15mpg.

For me its not the cars fault, its the kind of driving I do.
What this guy said = true

Mine is a V6 and I only do city driving, 50 km/h is my speed limit in the city, i drive pretty light and I am at about 18-19 mpg
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
My city isn't that bad at 16-17mpg.

Went on a road trip last week and I avg about 70ish mph and got 22.7mpg going and 23.2mpg coming back.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
sanjosebmx

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
are you measuring by the dic or by actually seeing how many miles you get on a tankfull...? you know..old school with a notebook, pen and calculator...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soFlo305 View Post
are you suggesting not to stop?
An onlooker once commented to Ettore Bugatti, the famous designer, that the brakes on his cars seemed puny.

Ettore replied, "I build my cars to go, not to stop"
Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
RipCityCoug

Drives: 2010 2SS, Black w/ Black Stripes
Ya something is definitely wrong. I have had a 2010 2SS for about a week and a half as well now and while I wouldn't say that I drive it hard I definitely like to put my foot in it at stop signs and the like but I still get at least 16 mpg with everyday driving and a lot better than that on the freeway.
RipCityCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #27
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Ok well it is probably a used car also if he just got a 2010. It may have a CAM or some tuning that is killing the MPG.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #28
nfl46

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Dang, 12.5! That's pretty bad.
nfl46 is offline   Reply With Quote