Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Agree it shouldn't come off under any situation.

But the real answer would have been a hard cover that opened and closed with the roof. But that would have been a huge tear up and there wouldn't be much room to do it. It would have required a new decklid and rear structure. Look at the Corvette. A panel like the Corvette convertible would be the ideal solution. That just doesn't work with the Camaro design. And the size of the trunk opening would be smaller than today's trunk which is already too small.

So the current cover is a compromise to that ideal solution.
I agree. In the very early days we were all speculating that the top would operate like the BMW vert with the back lifting up, top folding in and then the hard tonneau cover folding back down; But alaise, it was not to be. I think it couldv'e been done, but like you said, the top is just to damn big/long to get everything inside.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
niterat

Drives: ZLI IOM Convertible
I have a 2013 with the bungee loops. Mine only came off the first time because I didn't have the loop completely on the hook. After that no real problem - it does rise up in the center but that didn't worry me until i added the windrestrictor. Now it lifts a great deal, to the point I was worried if it lifts high enough it could turn into a sail. The hook and loop solution IMO is probably the bestsince the bungee add allow some flexing and not tug directly on the cover fabric. Not being that fussy, I chose the velcro solution. I got the industrial strength heavy duty glu on 4" x 2" strips. I cut one down to 1" x 2" and stuck it on and let it sit overnight (directions say 24 hours cure for the adhesive). It was easy to put on, and works perfectly. Of course it adds a step to getting the cover on and off, and it adds some strain to the cover vinyl but I'm satisfied with it.
niterat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #31
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
IMO, the key is having the top adjusted so it drops down further in the well.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #32
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
Trust me. I know exactly how this is supposed to be installed/tucked, and all was good. I'm thinking about trying some velcro on the back edge to help secure it.
I have done the Velcro on mine both front and back, it works well I still see some movement but i think it is much moer secure. I only have the clips not the cords.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
Coming back from a cruise this past weekend I watched this happen on my friends convertible in front of me. It started flying off but the bungee loops saved it (and me).
Old 10-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #34
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey I have a 2012 vert with the bungee loops on each side and the owner's manual states to hook to post on rear seat housing........I looked and looked and stretched the loops to where the posts could possibly be. No luck locating.

Could it be my car was the in-between the two tonneau tops and the posts weren't added?
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Hey I have a 2012 vert with the bungee loops on each side and the owner's manual states to hook to post on rear seat housing........I looked and looked and stretched the loops to where the posts could possibly be. No luck locating.

Could it be my car was the in-between the two tonneau tops and the posts weren't added?
Check the trunk or glove box if the vehicle is new; if not, the previous owner probably didn't install the "posts" that the bungee loops hook to. You may have to order a set from dealer. There are multiple threads with pics and instructions. Good luck.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #36
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i have a 2013 2 LT vert. i use the bungee cords when on highway speeds, but on side streets going 40 to 50, i just tuck it in without using cords. it seems to fit snug and not move any. the bungee cords take extra time to try to loop them. the whole cover is clumsy to put on but sure looks nice when its on.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #37
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
Check the trunk or glove box if the vehicle is new; if not, the previous owner probably didn't install the "posts" that the bungee loops hook to. You may have to order a set from dealer. There are multiple threads with pics and instructions. Good luck.
Thanks. I did find the other thread on this after I posted this, of course. I think I found the bolts, debating doing it myself or taking it to the dealer. Maybe I should and let them check on any top issues or TSB's hanging out.

Best
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #38
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i have a 2013 2 LT vert. i use the bungee cords when on highway speeds, but on side streets going 40 to 50, i just tuck it in without using cords. it seems to fit snug and not move any. the bungee cords take extra time to try to loop them. the whole cover is clumsy to put on but sure looks nice when its on.
Mine takes 2-3 seconds per side to hook. You must like to keep a tight schedule, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
Be glad you didn't have one back in the 60's when you had to snap about 40 metal snaps to install the tonneau on most convertibles. It takes me maybe two minutes to install mine. It isn't that bad once you have done it on twenty or thirty times. It gets easier with practice.