Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
CamaroCorvetteFerrari

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS
help! led valet switch screwed in..how to restore to stock?

I am a moron, with a captial M. I made a big mistake. I had the dealer installer an aftermarket alarm days after I got my camaro. I thought they would integrate into the key fob, but they actually attached a new alarm with another fob for the newly installed alarm (i think it's from a manufacture called automate). Anyway, I believe they drilled the LED valet push button switch into the dash. I don't think they glued it on. But if it's drilled, I'm pretty much screwed right?

I mean, I want to get this thing removed. It was a bad idea. The GM alarm that comes with the camaro is fine. I just rushed into things and thought I'd rather have the dealer install it than an alarm place, because my car is brand new and I don't want them touching the car. I'd rather have the ppl who sold me the car, touch it. I know them. I trust them, since they sold me the car. But that was a mistake.

They overcharged me, which I knew, but I figured it'd be better since it's the dealer and they'll go the extra mile and do a better job. But, no, I got screwed.

What I'm wondering is is there a way to remove the LED valet switch from the dash and make it so that it looks like the LED valet switch was never drilled? I mean, cover up the hole that was drilled. Maybe fill it with some compound and then have it spread, similar to how u treat a scratch, to make it look like it's the original dash material? I would hope there must be something out there that could at least approximate the look of the dash, before the LED valet switch was installed, a la a hole in the wall in the house and plastering it up.

Thank you for any input.
CamaroCorvetteFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
sorry I cant help you but can you post pics?
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i'd like to see a pic of this.never heard of such a thing.are those people idiots or what ? they actually drilled a hole in your dash ?
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
CamaroCorvetteFerrari

I will get a pic tomorrow.

Here's the installation (http://www.directed.com/guides/manua...436A_12-03.pdf), where it indicates to drill a 5/16 hole into the dash for the led valet switch.

And this is the alarm, oem: am5

http://www.automatecarsecurity.com/products/sec.asp.

I am beyond pissed at the dealer. I didn't want anything to be drilled into the car, which is one of the reasons I passed on mud flaps. Now I don't know if that hole can be repaired somehow. I would think I can, without having to replace the dash. I am definitely having the alarm removed, if not by the dealer, than by an aftermarket place. Cannot believe they would drill into the car.

Maybe I can use something like this: http://www.fitsmybudget.com/product.php?productid=27439

I'll see if the dealer will have a solution. I'm not back to them again for anything like this, that's for sure. Otherwise, I might take it to an auto restoration or auto repair place in long island, ny. I rather a professional do it than finding some "professional" home kit and making it worse.

Last edited by CamaroCorvetteFerrari; 03-14-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Drives: 91 Camaro RS
the dealer themselves dont do aftermarket work, they just farm it out. We used to do dealer services, but dealers arent the most fun to deal with. Whoever drilled that hole was just doing "their job" which was to do it as fast and easy as possible. At least that could have hidden it, or put it in a little box under the dash that unscrews.

The second link to the repair kit is usually only for vinyl dashs, kinda like the couch repair kits. Ive never used them on plastic before, so I wouldnt be able to give you a good answer to that one. They sell plastic plugs for holes, but it will still be noticeable. You might be able to get some epoxy or even black silicone and do it, but to match the texture it would be a royal pain. Hope the dealer settles up with you!
Hess RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
CamaroCorvetteFerrari

I will get a picture of it today. I believe it was definitely drilled into the dashboard.

Right, they told me an outside guy would do the job, because they said that's how the installations are done. The dealer farms out the work. I don't necessarily blame the installer, although he could've indicated something to somebody.

It's not so much that I got ripped off and they marked up the price. The alarm is a cheap piece of garbage. They basically paid 50 bucks for the alarm and I paid the rest for the installation, which will go into the installer and dealer's pockets. I can deal with that. What I am having difficulty with is that they would drill into the car. Nobody asked me if it was okay. Nobody came up to me and said, "before they install the alarm, they will have to drill into the dashboard, is that okay with you? Or, they could mount it underneath, it'll be harder to see and reach, but they won't have to drill. They can just clamp it on." Something like that! Nobody walked me through the installation. I was under the impression from the service dept, b/c that's what they said to me, that the alarm would be integrated into the key fob, not a separate one!

When I bought the car, my sales guy, who is a pretty nice guy actually, asked me if I wanted them to drill the license plate into the front bumper. Of course, I declined and he told me about an aftermarket piece on the internet for like 20 bucks that will mount it to the grill.

Why didn't I get the same treatment after I purchased the car? I put down hard-earned money and did not expect to be taken for a ride like this. Again, the stupid markup on the alarm I can deal with. Drilling into the freaking dashboard I can't. I don't know what they will do. I would hope they would fix it or even order a new dashboard for me. I mean, I paid for a reasonably costly car and I feel like I deserve a little bit better service than this. Heck, if I knew where to order a camaro dashboard, I would, and then either have them put it on and find somebody else. But I hope it can be fixed. Otherwise, I might have to leave the stupid thing in there, until a solution comes along.