Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
ADR01T

Drives: '14 1LE | 04 RX-8
Another Redline D4 convert (TR6060)

I just got done draining the old transmission fluid out of my 1LE and replacing it with (just under) 4 quarts of Redline D4 ATF. The car has just over 2200 miles on the clock and this is my favorite mod to date!

Before: Ever since I picked the car up with 12 miles on it, the transmission was noisy. I had what sounded like gear whine on decel and out of gear at idle and shifts were notchy and sometimes difficult. Once or twice I've had to keep the clutch engaged and shift out and back into the gear I wanted because the transmission wouldn't completely go into gear (felt like it was half way engaged?) I've been driving manual transmission vehicles since I was old enough to drive my father's tractor while we did hay so this isn't my first rodeo. Coming from my Rx8, the transmission was AWFUL and by far my least favorite part of the car.

After: The transmission is completely silent! I am floored by how much difference 4 quarts of fluid could make. Shifts are butter smooth, there is no notchyness shifting into 2nd and 3rd anymore, I don't get any gear whine on decel or the ambient grinding noise that was present when idling in neutral sometimes. I can still hear the noisy-ass throwout bearing but it's like I got a completely different transmission installed! I went out after rowing it through the gears gently for a little bit to circulate everything around and banged through the gears hard at that point. I used to be very cautious and careful shifting because of how temperamental the transmission was. My confidence is completely restored.

I'm still using the stock 1LE shifter but planning on upgrading to the MGW unit in the near future. I have been reading threads here trying to figure out what to do about my awful transmission but this is all it needed.

If you own an SS with a manual transmission and are on the fence about swapping out the fluid for Redline D4 ATF, DO IT! Best $40 I've spent on the car.

Oh, as an afterthought, all I needed to do the swap was a 3/8" drive to get the fill and drain plugs out, 4 quarts of D4, and I used this thing to transfer the fluid out of the container and into the transmission. It was a little messy and if I had it to do over again, I'd probably get a different model of suction gun as the tube is too large and I had to cut the top off of one of the bottles of D4 but it got the job done. I had access to a lift at the hobby shop near the base I'm stationed at so there may be better options depending on you garage.

On my 2014, the drain plug was NOT magnetic so it would be a great time to upgrade to one. I thought it was magnetic so I didn't have a replacement on hand. I've ordered some neodymium magnets off of Amazon and I'll position a couple near the drain plug as a temporary fix until it's time to replace the fluid again.
ADR01T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I'm going to give Redline DT4 a shot in Pumpkin's tranny. Picked up 4 quarts last week just need to get around to making the change.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
I have added Redline fluids to the TR6060 and the rear differential. I'm very pleased with the results.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
nxttruck2002

Drives: Camaro
I have Redline 5W30 in my motor and Redline 75W90 in the rear differential for a while now so quiet and smooth. I'm thinking of putting D4 in my TR6060 as 2nd is very hard and notchy on warm-up and sometimes at operating temperature.

Did you add Redline's limited slip additive to the rear differential? I did not as it states from their site and tech, "LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required"

2014 ZL1
nxttruck2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I also have Redline in the trans and rear diff. No additional additives were required. It came premixed.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
millatime84

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/IOM
Changed the transmission fluid with redline and couldn't be happier. No more notchy shifts when cold.
millatime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I just changed Pumpkin to Redline, can't believe the difference especially when it's cold.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Redline D4 and I wish I would have done this when I first got the car, it shifts so much smoother!!!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote