Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Which current head unit to buy??

Looking to get a head unit either kenwood or pioneer...Any certain model number need to be looking at to go with Metra kit
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I just got the Kenwood DNZ-571HD. I was also looking at the Alpine INE-S920. I chose the DNX because it uses HDMI cable and I found it on Amazon for a really good price...but outside of that they both do the same thing. Only thing I don't like is that neither of them can retain the center console AUX and USB inputs. But the DNX has 2 AUX inputs and one USB built in to it so no sweat there.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I just got the Kenwood DNZ-571HD. I was also looking at the Alpine INE-S920. I chose the DNX because it uses HDMI cable and I found it on Amazon for a really good price...but outside of that they both do the same thing. Only thing I don't like is that neither of them can retain the center console AUX and USB inputs. But the DNX has 2 AUX inputs and one USB built in to it so no sweat there.
You can retain the center console USB easily on any aftermarket head unit if you have a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable, like this one (LINK). The USB in the console has a miniUSB connector on the back of it.

I would honestly suggest checking out the new Pioneer NEX units. They are outstanding. If you want NAV, the AVIC-8000NEX is pretty amazing. The capacitive touchscreen is unique to that unit (the same kind of screen you get on smartphones/iPad). If you don't need NAV, then the AVIC-4000NEX would be good.

I would honestly stay away from the Alpines if you value ease-of-use. I have an INE-S920HD in my daily driver Cruze and it sucks compared to my previous Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS in terms of iPod functionality. Pioneer is way ahead of Alpine in iOS interaction.

The Kenwood units are very nice, but the Pioneers just have more features for the same/similar money.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I've always had good luck with Pioneer. I have a Kenwood in my S14 and it's been a real POS. Never seems to function properly.

Check Crutchfield out for the best and most honest reviews IMO

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
I've always had good luck with Pioneer. I have a Kenwood in my S14 and it's been a real POS. Never seems to function properly.

Check Crutchfield out for the best and most honest reviews IMO

Nick C.
Thanks for the info...Im thinking the Pioneer looks good to go with...Looking into the Nex
Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I've been happy with my AVH, plus we have one in our showcar that is fairly easy to use. I strongly recommend them

Hope that helps a bit

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
CamaroI

Couple of guys in my local club stated should be looking at the kenwood dnn 991...any thought on that compared to pioneer 8000nex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I just installed the 4000NEX and a Metra kit this past weekend. Haven't really had time to properly set everything up but, out of the box (with new JL Audio C5-650 6.5" components) it sounds kickass. Very crisp and clean.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
CamaroI

I'm leaning towards the 8000nex but haven't had time to play with them. Where did you get metra kit...I'm kinda nervouse about picking one up since some have said had issues with them.

Car toys has metra kits for $399 and they warranty for a year but saw on amazon for around $247. I would also be having mine hydro dipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
You can retain the center console USB easily on any aftermarket head unit if you have a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable, like this one (LINK). The USB in the console has a miniUSB connector on the back of it.
There is such a connection but it will not work depending on which head unit you buy. Some head units have a connection on them specifically to retain the center console and others don't. For example, my Metra kit had 2 RCA cables that are intended for the center console. But the head unit I have does not have a connection for those RCA cables. So leaving them disconnected makes the center console stuff inactive. You have to look at the head unit to see if it retains the CC AUX and USB.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I got my metra kit off of ebay for $255. Works great. 4000NEX also off of ebay for $540.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
There is such a connection but it will not work depending on which head unit you buy. Some head units have a connection on them specifically to retain the center console and others don't. For example, my Metra kit had 2 RCA cables that are intended for the center console. But the head unit I have does not have a connection for those RCA cables. So leaving them disconnected makes the center console stuff inactive. You have to look at the head unit to see if it retains the CC AUX and USB.
I think you need to re-READ my post. I said you can retain the USB with the cable I linked. I said nothing about the AUX input. If the aftermarket head unit has a USB input, you can retain the center console USB connection with the cable I linked.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I think you need to re-READ my post. I said you can retain the USB with the cable I linked. I said nothing about the AUX input. If the aftermarket head unit has a USB input, you can retain the center console USB connection with the cable I linked.
And I think you need to re-read my post. In my first post (which you quoted BTW) I said that certain head units do not retain the center console USB and AUX inputs. You replied stating that "You can retain the center console USB easily on any aftermarket head unit if you have a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable, like this one (LINK). The USB in the console has a miniUSB connector on the back of it.". And you are incorrect. Yes, if your head unit comes with a USB attached or a provision for USB, then you can use that cable you linked through the head unit itself. But you will still lose the center console USB with certain head units. My head unit and the ones I listed do not retain the CC USB. Even if you disconnect the cord going to the back of the CC and tried using that cord directly, it does not work. The cables are dead. So no matter what you plug back there, that CC USB will not work unless the head unit has a specific connection. And I mentioned the AUX for emphasis. Because you will lose that as well. If you look on Crutchfield and put in your vehicle info, it will tell you whether or not a head unit will retain the CC USB and AUX.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
And I think you need to re-read my post. In my first post (which you quoted BTW) I said that certain head units do not retain the center console USB and AUX inputs. You replied stating that "You can retain the center console USB easily on any aftermarket head unit if you have a standard USB-to-miniUSB cable, like this one (LINK). The USB in the console has a miniUSB connector on the back of it.". And you are incorrect. Yes, if your head unit comes with a USB attached or a provision for USB, then you can use that cable you linked through the head unit itself. But you will still lose the center console USB with certain head units. My head unit and the ones I listed do not retain the CC USB. Even if you disconnect the cord going to the back of the CC and tried using that cord directly, it does not work. The cables are dead. So no matter what you plug back there, that CC USB will not work unless the head unit has a specific connection (You mean a standard USB connection?). And I mentioned the AUX for emphasis. Because you will lose that as well. If you look on Crutchfield and put in your vehicle info, it will tell you whether or not a head unit will retain the CC USB and AUX.
You could have retained the CC USB with your head unit - the DNX-571HD has a USB on the rear, right? The cable I linked goes from the USB on the headunit directly to the port in the CC - it does not go through a dash kit or any other harness.

Both head units you referred to have USB and aux connectors on them... I have the INE-S920HD in my Cruze and I have my center console USB tied into it. Are you saying that no head unit will allow you to reuse both ports? That would be inaccurate as well. You could splice into the connector for the aux and connect that to the radio (easily accomplished by using a meter to trace which 3 of the 5 pins are required for the connection). It really has nothing to do with which dash kit is used because these connections must be made directly from the head unit to the console ports.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things? If the aftermarket head unit has a standard USB connection, the cable I linked will allow you to retain the center console USB port. I'm referencing this thread that details the connection. This is a picture of rear of the USB connector.

I have the center console USB tied to the DEX-P99RS in my car. I have the USB from the AVH-X7500BT routed into the glovebox.

Also, Crutchfield is a great resource for information, but it is not always 100% accurate.

Please tell me we aren't arguing over semantics. In my original post, I was assuming that the headunit would have a USB connector on it as all of the head units discussed prior have USB.