Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #379
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Don't agree with that... at all. If they matched the GT500 cornering speed in the ZL1, it would felt like a walk in the park. Oversteer and understeer become greatly more noticeable at the limits.
And then the zl1 would have been like 5 seconds behind. . .

I guess you probably have more racing experience than Randy and talked to him after the review to confirm that he reneged his statements after viewing the lap data, right? If the car understeers at the limit, it understeers. If the car oversteers at the limit, it oversteers. Regardless of where those limits are for each respective car, it's still a characteristic of the chassis and suspension dynamics. Randy preferred the balance of the gt500 as he stated.

Do you think the zl1 was pushed further beyond it's limits than the gt500 or they were both pushed to their limits? If you believe the former then it looks like the gt500 has more on the table, if you believe the latter than Randy just prefers the balance of the gt500 at the limits.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #380
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
And then the zl1 would have been like 5 seconds behind. . .

I guess you probably have more racing experience than Randy and talked to him after the review to confirm that he reneged his statements after viewing the lap data, right? If the car understeers at the limit, it understeers. If the car oversteers at the limit, it oversteers. Regardless of where those limits are for each respective car, it's still a characteristic of the chassis and suspension dynamics. Undesteer is still understeer and oversteer is still oversteer.

Do you think the zl1 was pushed further beyond it's limits than the gt500 or they were both pushed to their limits? If you believe the former then it looks like the gt500 has more on the table, if you believe the latter than Randy just prefers the balance of the gt500 at the limits.
Both of these cars have understeer... one more than the other. The ZL1's MRC and PTM let you push the car harder without being punished. As has been said over and over... the ZL1 is easier to drive at the limit.

Read the other reviews - their feedback is completely opposite on this topic.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #381
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Both of these cars have understeer... one more than the other. The ZL1's MRC and PTM let you push the car harder without being punished. As has been said over and over... the ZL1 is easier to drive at the limit.

Read the other reviews - their feedback is completely opposite on this topic.
And only one other review has taken these cars out on the track. . . the video is pretty clear that Randy preferred the balance of the Mustang. That doesn't mean it's faster in the turns or easier to drive, or even that everyone else will prefer it, but he liked the balance better. Disagree with it if you want, but discounting it because you don't like it and assuming the lap data would change his opinion is a joke.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #382
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Zl1 ftw, nice video
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #383
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1034 View Post
I knew it all along, Camaro is best overall. Wait until I put the 700HP upgrade on it.
Winning
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #384
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
And only one other review has taken these cars out on the track. . . the video is pretty clear that Randy preferred the balance of the Mustang. That doesn't mean it's faster in the turns or easier to drive, or even that everyone else will prefer it, but he liked the balance better. Disagree with it if you want, but discounting it because you don't like it and assuming the lap data would change his opinion is a joke.
And there you have it people...it's all opinions. So that being said, respect other peoples opinions, but choose what ever car appeases to you...AND MOD THE HECK OF IT! I guarantee that no enthusiast is ever going to keep his or her car bone stock.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #385
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Actually, there has been 4 different track comparisons already.

Since what I say doesn't matter to you, I'll point you to the below excerpts...

This feeback comes from another profession racecar driver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomobileMagazine
Entering the turns, the Shelby displays a boatload of body roll. That's not completely surprising given the GT500's humble origins, but I expected more from the Bilstein two-mode adjustable shocks, which are part of the $3495 Performance Package. The car wallows like a stuck pig and I desperately attempted to load up the outside wheels on corner entry. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't calm the Shelby to precisely attack a corner. To make matters worse, the understeer in the fast turns was significant, meaning I was unable to carry the speed through the important fast sections of the lap. Power down, however, was solid and when the rear did break loose, the car was easily manageable.

It looked like the chubbier ZL1 was fighting a losing battle, but as I entered the first few turns, I noticed something significant. I felt like I was driving a sports car. The steering was sharp and responsive and the car reacted instantaneously to my actions. The body roll is a fraction of the GT500's, which is simply titanic. I began smiling. The ZL1 was magnificent to drive and already I was blown away. The car rotates effortlessly mid-corner and power down is predictable and with poise. It oozed with confidence, daring me to push even harder. Chevrolet's Performance Traction Management has five distinct settings and frankly it's overkill. I switched it off entirely

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz1z8LYx9u8
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #386
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74z28 View Post
If you read the article by the third lap it hasnt even caught the GT500 yet. The GT500 had just slowed down enough that it was only running with the best time of the ZL. What kind of skewed lodgic is it that a car running faster for 2 laps, then vertually the same on the third are even at tha point and getting passed?
How hard are you going to continue to push in a situation like this? It becomes a safety issue. "Serious fade" are the words they use. I don't think they had any choice but to take a break and let the gt500 cool down. Meanwhile the zl1 was putting down laps with confidence and very consistent times. I'm not trying to be biased. This is basically what they wrote in the review.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #387
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Where in the world do they run a 3 lap race? The only reason they only ran 3 laps was to say it was too close to call. Actually the writing was on the wall, with the Shelby getting slower each lap and the ZL1 being more consistent it was obvious that in a real race the ZL1 would not take many laps to overtake and pull away from the Shelby. They want to create the illusion that these two cars are equals on the track. But are they in reality? In any count they are both great cars and deserve their place in automotive history.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #388
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
And there you have it people...it's all opinions. So that being said, respect other peoples opinions, but choose what ever car appeases to you...AND MOD THE HECK OF IT! I guarantee that no enthusiast is ever going to keep his or her car bone stock.
lol, you hit the nail on the head here
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #389
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
They are both great achievements from either brand. Al should be and most definitely is proud of what he and the rest of the Camaro team has done. This car is a beast on the track for sure. You can mod these cars to death and the battle will rage on but straight out the gate the Camaro is the better car. As it is you need to add $6k worth of options on the GT to track it. Of course if straight lines are all you care about then you'll have the best car ford has ever built.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #390
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawattz View Post
Besides , your opinion doesn't count, your on a camaro forum, while you own a douchestang
Cheers; I was like what in the hell is he on about, then I saw you own an svt contour and I got the sarcasm. You got me for a sec haha.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #391
74z28

Drives: 1974 Z-28
Better car for what?

Other than opinions ( and we all know what opinions are like ) What merits your "Better" lable. Its sure not staticstics. Just wondering.
74z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #392
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomenonSVT View Post
Yes. I don't understand why this is an argument anyways. The Shelby won the braking tests, and won the track tests. So let's let that be that shall we? . . The guys who are going to track these cars will buy bigger brakes, tires, etc. . . Simple fact.
The reason it matters is because I read the article and watched the video.

The Shelby stopped quicker on a test from 60mph.

Then BOTH drivers said the biggest difference is the Shelby brakes were horrible. And couldn't stand up over time.

I just made a comment based on the stock car and the article that this thread is about.

Last edited by PQ; 06-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote