Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Riddikulus5Gen

Drives: 2010 ABM RS 2LT
Sorry for sounding so naive about these matters, but what is the reason for your cars
needing to be inspected? I live in California, when/why would this be required?

thanks.

Built: October 2010 / ABM Chevy Camaro RS 2LT
Grey/Ebony Leather Interior / 6-Speed Manual Trans.
Gauge Cluster / Silver Rally Stripes (May remove?)
20" Polished Aluminum Rims.
K&N Cold-Air Intake / Corsa Exhaust.
Riddikulus5Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
It's bit more of a pain, but I usually just have the dealership do the NC inspection. They are usually pretty good about it. I have a dark tint on my Acadia and they don't give me any trouble. I think it's partly b/c I bought the car there and they don't want to hurt any possible repeat business.

Now hearing about the joy rides, I'll definitely take the Camaro to a dealership where seeing one these monsters is an everyday occurrence for them.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY-RAY View Post
I appreciate itbud, it's not that big a deal though. My biggest complaint was the fool that was inspecting my car. I don't know, a lot of the roads around here are straight and boring. Apart from the frost heaves up where I'm from, I like the winding roads. But of course, I do like the straightaways.
You're on the wrong end of the state my friend! As you go west, the roads get more and more fun. The roads leading up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy are as hair-pin and white-knuckle as you can stand. Dragon's Tail and other mountain roads are just insane. The Blue Ridge Pkwy itself isn't terribly fast (lots of tourists) but one of the most spectacular drives I have ever done.

On the bright side, where you are, there are lots of long, flat strait-aways to open it up with no one around. Unfortunately, every time I'm out that way, I'm in my company car or the LR3 (3 stands for 3-tons of slow).

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddikulus5Gen View Post
Sorry for sounding so naive about these matters, but what is the reason for your cars
needing to be inspected? I live in California, when/why would this be required?

thanks.

$$$

The state calls it a "safety inspection". Beyond making a few dollars for the state and everyone in the supply chain, the biggest thing it does is help enforce the mandatory liability insurance requirement.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
So I took my Camaro in to get it inspected at Family Tire here in New bern, NC. The f'ing punk who inspected my car inappropriately revved up my car! So I went up to the little key puncher cash register guy and told him that I don't appreciate this mf'er revving up my car. I watched this idiot cruise by the bays, with the clutch in, and purposely revved to get the attention of the other mechs in the shop. These people's excuse was "I'm sorry sir, we don't get many of these cars in here so he got excited." I was like "really dude!?" I'm not taking my car back there again.

On top of that, this is how GAY north carolina is.....I have my vinyl, static cling blackouts on my taillights, side markers, reverse, and front turn signal lenses from camarodecalstore.com, which are AWESOME! Thanks again Reggie! The people at Family Tire made me take them off b/c if I get pulled over and the cop doesn't like the fact that I have them on my car, he'll ask where I got it inspected and then Family Tire will get fined.....AGAIN! Apparently, they have already had one incident where they let something slide. I've driven past many cops and haven't been pulled over. I even mentioned to these mf'ers that they just peel right off.....and still they made me take them off. Nonetheless, I put them back on!! This just pissed me off this weekend and it's one more reason why I can't wait to leave this state!

OP, while I will definitely agree that the individual shouldn't have been playing around with your vehicle. I probably would have asked them if they were going to replace all the gas that this "fool" was wasting by driving around gunning your engine. Plus probably chewed his ass out too.

In reference to your black out kit. Its not just your State that will make you remove the black out decals. I'm going to bet money that in most States if not all, they are illegal to run on a public roadway. They are generally sold for "show" only thus that's why you can take them off and on. You are changing the illumination on a DOT approved lens which is illegal.
I for one, don't really mess around with pulling cars over for the tinted tail lights etc.. as long as I can see them. I know that on some cars it looks really cool, but hey if you want to take the chance of getting rear-ended and some idiot sues the s--- out of you claiming he couldn't see your tailights HAVE FUN!
Just don't be too upset if you happen to find the few officers that give tickets out for those violations. After all you put them there.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
CrazyDan

Drives: 2011 SS
That kinda sux I would be too quick to punch one of them in the face over that. people need to learn respect.
CrazyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Drives: 1SS IBM w/ SIM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
You're on the wrong end of the state my friend! As you go west, the roads get more and more fun. The roads leading up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy are as hair-pin and white-knuckle as you can stand. Dragon's Tail and other mountain roads are just insane. The Blue Ridge Pkwy itself isn't terribly fast (lots of tourists) but one of the most spectacular drives I have ever done.

On the bright side, where you are, there are lots of long, flat strait-aways to open it up with no one around. Unfortunately, every time I'm out that way, I'm in my company car or the LR3 (3 stands for 3-tons of slow).

Eastern carolina does suck. I lived in Barnardsville for a little while and Asheville for a few years. The first time I moved here was to Barnardsville and that's when an unfortunate thing happened to my mom. So after that I went to TN and then up to NH (where I reside now). But now the Marine Corps has me stuck here in NC. I've been up the parkway once or twice. I remember going up there to hike Mt. Mitchell.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Riddikulus5Gen

Drives: 2010 ABM RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
$$$

The state calls it a "safety inspection". Beyond making a few dollars for the state and everyone in the supply chain, the biggest thing it does is help enforce the mandatory liability insurance requirement.

How often does this take place or is required?

I am in the process of buying a camaro from out of state, and just trying to
cover all my bases so I know what I have to do and plan for.

Built: October 2010 / ABM Chevy Camaro RS 2LT
Grey/Ebony Leather Interior / 6-Speed Manual Trans.
Gauge Cluster / Silver Rally Stripes (May remove?)
20" Polished Aluminum Rims.
K&N Cold-Air Intake / Corsa Exhaust.
Riddikulus5Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Medical attention required to remove my boot removed from his @**!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #24
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
OP, while I will definitely agree that the individual shouldn't have been playing around with your vehicle. I probably would have asked them if they were going to replace all the gas that this "fool" was wasting by driving around gunning your engine. Plus probably chewed his ass out too.

In reference to your black out kit. Its not just your State that will make you remove the black out decals. I'm going to bet money that in most States if not all, they are illegal to run on a public roadway. They are generally sold for "show" only thus that's why you can take them off and on. You are changing the illumination on a DOT approved lens which is illegal.
I for one, don't really mess around with pulling cars over for the tinted tail lights etc.. as long as I can see them. I know that on some cars it looks really cool, but hey if you want to take the chance of getting rear-ended and some idiot sues the s--- out of you claiming he couldn't see your tailights HAVE FUN!
Just don't be too upset if you happen to find the few officers that give tickets out for those violations. After all you put them there.
I understand all of that and I appreciate the info. Like I said, I think the guy was just being a d'head b/c I complained about the mech revving my car. That's just my opinion. The decals I have, have small perferated holes throughout the entire thing. So the light emits through all the way, it only makes it a little darker for looks.

Do you think it is too late to go back and say something about the gas he wasted?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Nicragomi

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
I recently had to get mine inspected as well, not sure where New Bern is, but up here in Cherokee/Bryson area, I tried to take mine to a local shop to get inspected. They turned me away because my Window Tint was "Aftermarket" and won't pass inspection.

I looked at the guy and said, "Really? so, whats the difference if I go take off my tint, bring it back to just pass it, and re-put it back on after the inspection?" No reply, so I left, went to a friend of mine that owns a shop and said "I don't see no tint" and passed my car. I know the troubles my friend, this state is a pretty strict one.
Nicragomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
RAY-RAY
Pure Anger On Wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddikulus5Gen View Post
How often does this take place or is required?

I am in the process of buying a camaro from out of state, and just trying to
cover all my bases so I know what I have to do and plan for.

Saftey/Emissions inspections have to be done annually.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Nicragomi

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The Parkway is a exceptional ride now that all the new pavement has been done, I just wish the TN side was as smooth, then I'd enjoy going to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area more often

Deal's Gap/The Dragon's Tail is the best road in the whole of US, if you think taking a Camaro is fun, try a bike, its insane!!!
Nicragomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
I understand all of that and I appreciate the info. Like I said, I think the guy was just being a d'head b/c I complained about the mech revving my car. That's just my opinion. The decals I have, have small perferated holes throughout the entire thing. So the light emits through all the way, it only makes it a little darker for looks.

Do you think it is too late to go back and say something about the gas he wasted?

thats cool and like I said I'm not a ball buster about that kind of stuff like you found out thats more of an inspections deal.
We have State inspection stations at DMV here and it doesn't cost anything less shady stuff going on, but they can get strict as well. They made me take a tiny sticker off of the corner of my tag that my kid put there and they were going to fail my GMC Jimmy back in '96 because the factory glass looked like it was too tinted for them. WTF? Luckily a senior guy heard me get cranked up and overruled the other guy. Talk about screwed-- how in the hell do you get a lighter tinted window than from the factory? So I've been there trust me.
In reference to the gas yeah they are probably going to tell you to take a hike.lol But since you are USMC they better do it nicely. I know how you guys get. HA HA my Dad was Kilo 3/1 '68-'69