Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Not Good Boys...

A buddy and i test drove the new pontiac G8 today, and let me tell you this car was a winner on so many levels... but one level stood out in a negative manor, and was so drastic that it stopped either of us from wanting the car. At least with the Auto.

The Auto/manual shift system in the car lagged to the point that would make you uncertain if you had shifted hard enough, wondering if the computer read it and you should do it again.

The Shifts that were made in the 'Manual' mode were lagged what felt like seconds, realistically it was probaly just over a second or two. But a car travels a long time in a second or two.

i wasnt expecting lighting fast shifts like that in a Ferrari, but this almost made the whole 'manual' concept irrelevant. It made you feel even more detached from the car than you did before.

Now the real scary thing about this: this is the same 'TAPshift' system we're getting in the Camaro, According to the man at the dealership i talked to.

now im having trouble confirming this to be true, but it seems like it would be true. New systems, same platform, the G8 and Camaro are alot alike in alot of ways... just makes sense.

Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Get a manual... Problem solved... J/K Haven't driven the G8. I love the car but it only being available in a auto except for the G8 GXP that is to come out was a major turn-off for me personally.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Did you test; the V6, or the V8? Cause they were two different transmissions....

And keep in mind they can recalibrate the transmission from car to car. They 'fixed' it in the Corvette from 07 to 08, which produced a noticeable response increase according to the 'Vette guys. And they're also playing with shift response in the Camaro to drop the V6 0-60 from 6.1 to 5.9.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Did you test; the V6, or the V8? Cause they were two different transmissions....

And keep in mind they can recalibrate the transmission from car to car. They 'fixed' it in the Corvette from 07 to 08, which produced a noticeable response increase according to the 'Vette guys. And they're also playing with shift response in the Camaro to drop the V6 0-60 from 6.1 to 5.9.
I test drove the V8, im hoping they recalibrate something to rectify this. If you were the one that was driving you'd be saying the same thing.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I wanted to test drive the G8 GT and as a few know...that car REALLY impressed me on looks, fit, and finish alone. I didn't drive it cause I was afraid I wouldn't have returned it to the dealership!

But, to fix that problem, BUY A MANUAL!!! Or don't tap shift. But buy a manual....hehe ....much better anyway.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
spd98

Drives: had a goat
The gripes about the manumatic modes are well known. The bottom line is if you want to shift your own gears get a manual. It does wake up considerably with a tune but really. Buying an auto and hand shifting it on a regular basis is just silly.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I drove the G8 with the V8 in it and I don't recall the shifts being that bad. I was very impressed with the fit and finish. I am hoping the Camaro gets the leather from the same supplier. The center console was cheap but overall the car was great. Keep in mind this is the 4 door sedan, it shouldn't have lighting quick shifts for the family. I would guess the target audience is a little different. I guess I'm saying I think the shifting will be much better in the Camaro. I know mine will be.....I'm getting the stick.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Its control over an automatic transmission. Nothing more, nothing less. The shifts will still feel like like an automatic no matter what. If you want your car to shift like a manual, you need to get a manual. Tap shift and the like are for having a bit more fun with an automatic not to replace a manual.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
The gripes about the manumatic modes are well known. The bottom line is if you want to shift your own gears get a manual. It does wake up considerably with a tune but really. Buying an auto and hand shifting it on a regular basis is just silly.
I agree 100% and always have. Only the exotics and real race cars use tap-shifting that actually matters.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Yeah. Unless the transmission in a G8, was a dual-clutch transmission, like what I believed are used in the Audi/VW's DSG/Triptronic transmission, or from BMW's or Mercedes, those transmissions have a much better feeling when up-shifting/down-shifting.

The transmission on the G8 is still basically just an "automatic transmission" with a computer controlled manual shifting system. I've driven them on a few cars, G6 Coupe, Lincoln LS V8, Lincoln MKS etc and my car's a stick and there's no comparison.

So yeah I'm sure when the Hydramatic "auto" comes over to the Camaro it'll be more refined...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Yeah. Unless the transmission in a G8, was a dual-clutch transmission, like what I believed are used in the Audi/VW's DSG/Triptronic transmission, or from BMW's or Mercedes, those transmissions have a much better feeling when up-shifting/down-shifting.

The transmission on the G8 is still basically just an "automatic transmission" with a computer controlled manual shifting system. I've driven them on a few cars, G6 Coupe, Lincoln LS V8, Lincoln MKS etc and my car's a stick and there's no comparison.

So yeah I'm sure when the Hydramatic "auto" comes over to the Camaro it'll be more refined...
+1 Didn't an engineer, in the NBC special, comment on calibrating the transmission in the V8 car? I could've swore I read that they're going to be calibrating the TapShift to be able to hold that gear at redline. Hmmm... now I have to find it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Congoman775

Quote:
What is silly is putting something in a car that doesnt work.

why put that there if it is ineffective??
Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
What is silly is putting something in a car that doesnt work.

why put that there if it is ineffective??
It does work, its just not as quick as you would like. But when you tell it to shift it does shift. Therefore it works.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Well since I have a bad knee, taking the clutch peddle out of the equation but still being able to manually shift is appealing. However I know the limitations of a simple automatic with a simple manual shift mode. I'm still hoping we see a nice DCT by the time I buy. Otherwise I'll be getting the manual and keeping advil in the car for my leg on long drives.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote