Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Rhyno

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Rhyno
My 2010 LS's progressive fade to black

When the 5th generation Camaro was first announced, I said as soon as I could afford one, I was getting one. That required me to get a used one to do it, but it was worth it. I got my black 2010 LS M6 on August 3, 2011. Just a base LS. Came with the XM radio, a spare tire, and the previous owner had put in some Wal-Mart floor mats. That’s about the extent of the options. It is my daily driver, year round (for now), so she’s had some miles put on her since…but they’ve been fun miles to say the least.

The day I brought her to her new home:

I was driving 140+ miles round trip for work, so I never intended to mod much and put a bunch of money into it. Just wanted to enjoy driving it. Well, we all know how that goes, right? That plan lasted about a month...

Two years later, I'm still modding, as the budget allows. Not sure what the typical protocol is for these journals, but I'll give a quick list of what I have now, and then ensuing posts to show pictures and document the specific changes, as best I can. Unfortunately, was not very good about picture documentation through much of it, but I'm getting better.

Current Exterior Mods
  • Smoked side markers and reverse lights
  • Blacked out the front and rear bowties
  • Plasti-dipped tail light bezels
  • Added OEM Spoiler
  • LED Reverse lights
  • LED License Plate lights
  • Black 20" OEM wheels with Nitto NT420s Tires
  • Vanity Plate
  • Window Tint

Current Interior Mods
  • OEM Floor mats (just to have something that fits properly)
  • Blue LED Dome Light
  • Blue LED Footwell lighting

Engine and exhaust mods
  • Injen Long Tube Intake w/ washer bottle relocation
  • Elite Engineering Catch Can
  • RX Breather cap
  • Swapped to SS exhaust
  • Painted Engine cover, fuse box cover and washer bottle

Future plans / wishlist:
  • Plasti-dip Camaro fender badging
  • LED engine bay lighting
  • Painted brake calipers (blue)
  • Engine bay dress-up stuff
  • Heritage grill
  • Fog Lights
  • Lowering springs
  • Front Splitter
  • Oracle ghosted black side markers
  • Lighted door sills
  • Ported Throttle body
  • Short throw shifter

Current pic:

Last edited by Rhyno; 08-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Rhyno

First mods

The first mods were to tint the lights and plasti-dip the trim rings on the black steelies:

Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Rhyno

Window Tint

Great story...

The week before Father's Day 2012, I had to go to NYC for business for the week. My wife asked if she could keep my car while I was gone because she wanted to take some friends out for a “girls night”. Didn’t bother me, to be honest. She's very careful with the car, and leaving my car at Detroit Metro Airport was never something I was overly fond of anyway. I get home and open the garage and immediately notice it looked different and when I got closer found out the windows were tinted.

Turns out there was never a girl’s night. She wanted to keep it so she could get the windows tinted. My wife got my windows tinted for me for Father’s Day.

Best. Wife. Ever.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
kold

Drives: 2011 LS White Camaro
sweet brother!!! most people hate the LS camaros (mainly cause its a v6,terrible rims and some other stuff that im sure im forgetting) but i swear there perfect for building something that you can really make ur own and is affordable.
kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Rhyno

Tire/wheel upgrade

In October of 2012, I purchased a set of OEM 19" silver (painted) wheels from a fellow member of our local Detroit 5th Gen Club ("rtcat600man" on here) complete with tires. This past spring I plasti-dipped them black

Before:

After:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Rhyno

New wheels (again) and spoiler

In June this year I upgraded to 20" black OEM style wheels with Nitto tires. Got them for $500. Found them on eBay and had to drive to Pittsburgh (from Michigan) to get them. Totally worth it though. I needed new tires anyway, and was going to be more than that just for the new tires.

Also in June, I got an OEM spoiler to put on. This meant drilling holes in my trunk and that made me super nervous. Took me until July to actually get up the stones to do it. It was actually pretty easy, when all was said and done. A little blue tape, a step drill bit, and a few deep breaths and about an hour later it was done.

There may have also been beer involved...you know, to calm the nerves.

I also bolted on an exhaust from an SS that I got from another club member that was upgrading his. It's a decent little upgrade in sound. Weighs about the same, in fact it might be a tad heavier, and no real performance gain, but combined with the CAI, it gives a nice sound upgrade for us V6'ers. It is a little raspy at times when it's cold and at WOT, but can't really complain when getting it for free. Thinking of upgrading to the MRT 2.0 at some point, but I suspect I'll upgrade to a V8 before that happens. Wait, what?

This a pic from Superfest with the new wheels and spoiler and the new vanity plate:

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Rhyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by kold View Post
sweet brother!!! most people hate the LS camaros (mainly cause its a v6,terrible rims and some other stuff that im sure im forgetting) but i swear there perfect for building something that you can really make ur own and is affordable.
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things that I don't like about the LS. No audio controls on the steering wheel, no fog lights, etc. But for the price it's hard to beat and does leave more room for personalizing.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
you have done a great job, your Camaro looks awesome
Old 03-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Rhyno

Sold it in September '14. Got up to 119K miles on it and was time to upgrade anyway. Just upgraded to an awesome 2012 2SS/RS. Updated photos and details coming soon...