Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #113
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Says the guy who's test driven it?
Did you look at his sig? I'm sure it'd be a HUGE disapointment compared to what he's driving now! The biggest thing about the ZL1 is that you get a pretty high horse car from the factory with a warranty!

I wouldn't buy one right away just for the reason of the premiums that dealers will charge and also that I can get one a couple of years later for quite a bit less oney or buy a Highly odded car from someone that wants the exclusivity that the ZL1 will have! That, and they might not offer a A6!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #114
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
People get too stuck up on the horsepower levels. This car is a completely different beast from the SS. There's more to it than horsepower.
Things that the SS will never have or be able to do.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #115
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
People get too stuck up on the horsepower levels. This car is a completely different beast from the SS. There's more to it than horsepower.
Things that the SS will never have or be able to do.
........ with stock parts.

I think you forgot to finish your sentence. As someone earlier posted people with SS's can purchase the upgrades and have the same or better car without having to purchase a ZL1.

Also, my sig. (car) has a lot more than just HP and TQ #'s. a large percentage of my suspension has been upgraded, and more to come. My expectation when I'm done (finally next year sometime), my SS will perform right up there with the ZL1. Of course without warranty (useless anyway if not honoured or replacement parts are just as bad as the originals) and new traction control, but I don't think anyone cares about the TC anyway.

Last edited by calbert1999; 06-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #116
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post

I think you forgot to finish your sentence. As someone earlier posted people with SS's can purchase the upgrades and have the same or better car without having to purchase a ZL1.
And they are wrong.

Well, actually depends on how much you are willing to spend..... $30-45K on top of the price of the SS, might get it close to the same.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #117
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

And no warranty... I think more often than not, modifications reduce the value of a given car, too. You have to find an enthusiast to even start to get any money back for the mods', whereas a car like ZL1 won't need as many to go nearly as fast. If someone can produce a plan to build SS into a can nearly equivalent, or faster, that ZL1, with even the same durability, I'd like to see it. Let's see: $35K for SS + $7K for a blower with no strength enhancements to the long block + maybe $2K for forged wheels and comparable tires + $3K for a built tranny of similar specs' + something like $7K for a HD driveshaft, 9" conversion and axles + $1K for a non-functional body kit + $4K for adjustable suspension (non-active) + $1K for a non-functional hood and spoiler + $1K for interior enhancements like short-throw shifter, gauges, suede, etc + 1$k for enhanced exhaust manifolds and catback (non-active) .

If I add that up, I think that's still more than ZL1 and doesn't have a warranty, exclusivity, value, factory engineering, upgradability and more that I don't really think is necessary to get into. I'm not trying to put down ANY SS (and that extends to V6'ers out there ), but I don't understand the arguement that it makes sense to compare a mod'd SS to a stock ZL1. Even with what we know, it is just not fair, and we still have more to learn. What happens if ZL1 is priced close to the GT500 and I apply the difference in price it takes to match ZL1's performance with SS and put it into ZL1...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #118
radz28
Petro-sexual

... but... we still don't know the price and performance of ZL1, so some of my points may be moot. LOL.

Look - if you enjoy your SS, I am super-happy for you. Please don't pizz in my cereal, though, because I'm excited about the highest performing factory CAMARO in history. That will be a fact and not disputable.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #119
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
And they are wrong.
Well, actually depends on how much you are willing to spend..... $30-45K on top of the price of the SS, might get it close to the same.
Partially, agree, I think we've got it "better", because we got the opportunity to pick and choose what we want installed, after realizing some much needed upgrades were required on the SS to make it feel and handle like a real (racecar) muscle car should.

Case and point, if the SS had the right sway bars, end links, chassis braces, strut braces, springs, bushings, CAM, CAI, timing, tuning, etc... nobody would be upgrading. Also, some folks (post SC installs) are forging and stroking engines to support huge boost #'s too.

So, I suspect the ZL1 will have slightly better than original SS stock parts, with a moderate SC installed, leaving lots of room for improvement or the pricetag will be up there in the $70+k price point.

I've read lots of posts on C5 with folks writing about ZL1's having all the super high end stuff installed believe these vehicles are going to be priced around $35+k to compete with the Mustang Boss / Laguna which is laughable. They're comparing an apple (Mustang Boss which is a joke) to a watermelon (suppossedly super duper ZL1). The comparison is more like ZL1 vs Shelby GT500 which I believe is about $50k (base).

If it's $40-50k there will lots of improvements to be had, if it's $70+k (give or take a few g's for credit adjustments as not starting out with parts that need to be replaced) then, I'd say they'll be equal or slightly better than the mod'd SS's out there, a GT500, Boss and SRT-8 killer (stock) for sure, and a heavily mod'd SS contender (maybe).

And, not pissing in anyones cereal, just a discussion on two very amazing vehicles that's all. One being mod'd, the other being built the way it should have been from the get go. If the ZL1 with all the enhancements equate to the pricetag of a GT500, I'd say everybody should definately get one. Me included. LOL But, I think (especially here in Canada), they're not going to be as inexpensive as we all think they're going to be. GM based on feedback will do one of two things. 1. High pricetag with awesome parts. 2. Low pricetag scaled down.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #120
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

I strongly believe it will be priced competitively with the GT500. I wouldn't mind paying more for it, since it will have parts that the GT500 will not come with. (ex. sueded interior, MRC, etc..)
Old 06-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #121
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
I can agree with both arguments....

If the ZL1 is $47-$50 K range, then I think it will be hard to say you can mod an SS to compete. You will spend a lot more money and still me missing some things (MR suspension)

But, if the ZL1 is priced near the $70K mark that calbert stated, then yeah, I will be considering buying an SS and modding.....

it really all comes down to Chevy's pricing.

I am speculating $48-$51K....maybe because that is where I want it to be and where it needs to be for me to purchase....
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #122
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
I can agree with both arguments....

If the ZL1 is $47-$50 K range, then I think it will be hard to say you can mod an SS to compete. You will spend a lot more money and still me missing some things (MR suspension)

But, if the ZL1 is priced near the $70K mark that calbert stated, then yeah, I will be considering buying an SS and modding.....

it really all comes down to Chevy's pricing.

I am speculating $48-$51K....maybe because that is where I want it to be and where it needs to be for me to purchase....
If GM's already stated the target for the car, I can't see them making the price that much more. Chevy is known for bang-for-the-buck, so it makes me very doubtful we're going to see much of a premium over the GT500. I know no more than any of you, though, so I could be out in left field.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #123
Rocky918

Drives: SS for Super Sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
And no warranty... I think more often than not, modifications reduce the value of a given car, too. You have to find an enthusiast to even start to get any money back for the mods', whereas a car like ZL1 won't need as many to go nearly as fast. If someone can produce a plan to build SS into a can nearly equivalent, or faster, that ZL1, with even the same durability, I'd like to see it. Let's see: $35K for SS + $7K for a blower with no strength enhancements to the long block + maybe $2K for forged wheels and comparable tires + $3K for a built tranny of similar specs' + something like $7K for a HD driveshaft, 9" conversion and axles + $1K for a non-functional body kit + $4K for adjustable suspension (non-active) + $1K for a non-functional hood and spoiler + $1K for interior enhancements like short-throw shifter, gauges, suede, etc + 1$k for enhanced exhaust manifolds and catback (non-active) .

If I add that up, I think that's still more than ZL1 and doesn't have a warranty, exclusivity, value, factory engineering, upgradability and more that I don't really think is necessary to get into. I'm not trying to put down ANY SS (and that extends to V6'ers out there ), but I don't understand the arguement that it makes sense to compare a mod'd SS to a stock ZL1. Even with what we know, it is just not fair, and we still have more to learn. What happens if ZL1 is priced close to the GT500 and I apply the difference in price it takes to match ZL1's performance with SS and put it into ZL1...
... i still think people are underestimating that your getting a warranty with all this stuff... all the modded SS's have voided their warrantys... and unless your a camaro fanatic which many of us are... we are all buying these cars because we want the most bang for the buck with power/performance .... if we were all rich we would be getting something way more expensive, which leads me to believe many people will not be able to afford a broken part with a modded SS, or will not be happy about paying for it

Quote:
Please don't pizz in my cereal, though, because I'm excited about the highest performing factory CAMARO in history. That will be a fact and not disputable.
not gonna lie, I read this sentence fast and thought you said jizz in my cereal

but then again, its the always the highest performing camaro until the top dog of the next gen
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #124
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
If GM's already stated the target for the car, I can't see them making the price that much more. Chevy is known for bang-for-the-buck, so it makes me very doubtful we're going to see much of a premium over the GT500. I know no more than any of you, though, so I could be out in left field.
Has GM announced a target price for the vehicle? I haven't seen or heard anything other than from someone that works at a dealership and they said (here in Canada) there will be a premium and it was enough to make me ROTFL.
But, again remember here in Canada we get shafted all the time because companies like GM figure they'll only allow a certain amount into the market creating a price war for anyone who wants to buy that particular product (even when they're made right here in Oshawa, Ontario). So, the dealers take advantage of it and price gouge the consumer. Case and point Corvettes. Way, way, way overpriced.

Last edited by calbert1999; 06-09-2011 at 05:20 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #125
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Has GM announced a target price for the vehicle? I haven't seen or heard anything other than from someone that works at a dealership and they said (here in Canada) there will be a premium and it was enough to make me ROTFL.
But, again remember here in Canada we get shafted all the time because companies like GM figure they'll only allow a certain amount into the market creating a price war for anyone who wants to buy that particular product (even when they're made right here in Oshawa, Ontario). So, the dealers take advantage of it and price gouge the consumer. Case and point Corvettes. Way, way, way overpriced.
Yes, they said it would compete with it's nearest competitor and they also stated they are aiming for the GT500
Old 06-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #126
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
Quote:
Yes, they said it would BEAT it's nearest competitor and they also stated they are aiming for the GT500
corrected 4tw
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote