Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #85
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Next, I would tackle the fenders. I knew getting the 3M adhesive off would be a bit of a pain, so I made sure I bought a Heat gun, dental floss, Goo Gone, and 3M adhesive remover to make the process easier :

The reasoning behind me removing the fender emblems??

1. I like dark colors. I felt like the emblems stuck out like a sore thumb on the sides with the "chrome" plating.

2. I also felt that the LS3 badging should tie into the Powerplant, which means it has no place on the side of the car.

I purchased the "Black Onyx" Camaro Lettering from Emblempros.com (they have made a killing off of me this year lol), which I think look really good against CGM. I thought about doing flat black lettering, but I think this choice was just as good :

LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #86
LS3 SS

I am also in the process of trying to find a buyer for my Lexani wheels, so for now I have them in storage, and I have the stockers back on. I got tired of looking at the Midnight Silver on the CGM, so I decided to *gasp*.....Plastidip my wheels!!

Last but not least, I removed the SS emblem from my Heritage grill, and added the Emblempros.com Black Onyx LS3 emblem. It definitely looks like it belongs there, and personalizes my car more IMO :

Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #87
LS3 SS

The other mods that I still have to install are :

NewFlat Black Mailslot vinyl
New Flat Black Front Fascia blackout vinyl
New Flat Black rear trunk blackout vinyl
New Flat Black side gill vinyl
30% smoked Headlight, DRL, and Turn signal "Headlight Armor".

I definitely think once all of these pieces are installed, the car will be "complete" appearance wise.

Next up on the mod list :

BMR Front Strut Brace
Pedders ZL1 Zway bar kit (27 & 32 mm)
SP or SW 1 7/8'' LT Headers
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #88
LS3 SS

UPDATE : Today during lunch break I installed 30% smoked DRL vinyl from HeadlightArmor.com; I still need to install the 30% turn signals sometime this week. I don't think I will be installing the Headlight vinyl, because its too dark to be driving around like that where I'm currently at :

LEFT DRL = FACTORY RIGHT DRL = 30% tint

Old 11-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #89
LS3 SS

UPDATE : My BMR Front Strut Brace Arrived Friday Afternoon, just in time for me to install it. I went over a friend's house to tackle the install in their garage. It wasn't too bad, pretty straight forward, you just have to make sure you get the suspension to free hang as far as possible to dislodge the strut assembly from the tower.

Clamped the Strut brace to mock up the holes for drilling :

Finished product :

I didn't notice a huge difference, I mainly purchased this piece for the look of the engine bay. I'm sure it tightens up the front end just a tad, but not enough to rave about it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #90
LS3 SS

UPDATE : I ordered my SP 1 7/8'' Long Tube Headers during Black Friday and got them for a killer deal.

I did my inspection of the system, and I was impressed with the design, the quality, and the fitment of the system.

I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted to, because I was more focused on the installation, but I think I did enough justice.

The install wasn't too bad; I definitely recommend anyone who is doing it, to use a lift, and have a buddy to help out. There are some parts that I wonder how people do it by themselves. And as far as the infamous "dipstick tube" installation which everyone said was a PITA, we had the dipstick tube back in in less than 2 minutes. But then we found out we had to grind down the bracket a little to get the tube to mount back to the block.

Overall, I am happy with the looks, and definitely happy with the sound of my LTs!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #91
LS3 SS

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #92
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Car is looking awesome love the new emblems and badges ,what tune are you going for with the headers?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #93
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre777 View Post
Car is looking awesome love the new emblems and badges ,what tune are you going for with the headers?
Thanks!!

I am going to go with a normal dyno tune, just hoping to break 400 rwhp/rwtq honestly. Shouldn't be too difficult considering it's winter time, so it should be easier to tune without the humidity/heat etc.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #94
BlkSlvrdo129

Drives: 2008 Silverado
Nice work so far. How difficult was it to get the new letters lined up on the front fender?
BlkSlvrdo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #95
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSlvrdo129 View Post
Nice work so far. How difficult was it to get the new letters lined up on the front fender?

Thanks, it wasn't too bad actually; I made sure I put tape on the top and bottom of the letters and just took my time making sure the spacing and the alignment was good.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #96
LS3 SS

Update : After Installing the Headers, I wasn't in a rush to get the car tuned, because I wanted to call around and get the best pricing and see what tuners were available. Well I ended up going back home to Virginia to get my car tuned by a very reputable tuner who mostly deals with Camaros/Corvettes. His name is Ed and I believe he's a member up here as well. Overall, I am happy with the final numbers, but there was a bit of pinging going on while he was tuning the car, that left some power on the table.

At first the numbers were off, because of spark knock, so he recommended that we switch to NGK TR6 plugs from the AC Delcos that I recently replaced last month.

That did the trick as my numbers went from 392 to 399 rwhp. Then he did the final bit of tuning, but could not put the max out of it because of the pinging. Here are the final numbers (405 rwhp/ 399 rwtq)

He advised running seafoam through the intake, as that (and maybe fuel) were the culprits for the detonation/pinging issues I was having. As of this morning, I ran seafoam through the intake, and a little bit of white smoke came out after I ran it for a little bit; I also ran two cans of seafoam through the fuel tank as well.

As much as I would love to go back and get the car re tuned, I don't think its necessary, as the car runs great, and the tune is very good. He also told me that it's not necessary to retune, just to seafoam the car and watch out where I fill up at.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #97
LS3 SS

Here are more photos of the car on the dyno, and I will try to figure out how to upload a video as well :

Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #98
LS3 SS

http://youtu.be/ue2sP777xO4

I'm not sure how to embed a video on here.