Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
I'm disgusted at what people will pay just to have a badge...

on a subcompact car. DISGUSTED. To think that I will probably be able to get a fully loaded "top dawg" Camaro for a tick over $40k only fuels my great dislike for this ultimate badge-whore magnet.

http://http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2917

Last edited by Scotsman; 01-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
You've got an extra http:// in there, bud.

Anyway, I hear you.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The person I live with will be looking for a new car in 6 months to a year. All he can talk about is a BMW 3 series... (Though even he said the 1 series isn't much cheaper than the 3, so just get the 3.)
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I actually really like the 1 series. To me the small size is the selling point, as I prefer the nimbleness of a small car. And the thing should be an awesome drive too. This isn't just about the badge. It actually is a great driving car, and would likely kill even a top dog Camaro around an autocross course. However, the price is a killer. For only a few grand more you can get the better equipped 3 series that still falls into what I consider to be the perfect size range. Also, they lost me when they decided not to offer the hatchback. The hatchback is simply beautiful, while the coupe is just awkward. The hatchback has far more rear head room and cargo space too.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Myka
ritired suthern gentlman

Drives: nothing now
I've been reading all over the place that the quality of BMW has drastically dropped. Even BMW enthusiasts avidly talk about it. I don't see why anyone would buy one with a little research.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

^ For me the point is it's overpriced, big time. No doubt BMW makes great handling cars and I've had the privelege of experiencing the "ultimate driving machine", but I refuse to pay what BMW asks for cars the size of a 1er or 3er. They're great cars, but not that great. I'm sure as a second hand buy they'd be even sweeter, but I'm not desperate. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the handling potential of the new Camaro as EVO pointed out that the Vauxhall VXR8 (whatever it's called, "England's Commodore") wasn't very far behind the E90 335i sedan handling-wise. I've posted a link to the article somewhere in here if you wanna read it, otherwise hit-up evo.co.uk.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I've been reading all over the place that the quality of BMW has drastically dropped. Even BMW enthusiasts avidly talk about it. I don't see why anyone would buy one with a little research.
This is true, BMW is a big time cost cutter and it's starting to show up in the quality of their cars.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
stovt001

There is a subtle difference between handling and nimbleness. Even if you made a full-size sedan get world class grip and balance, a smaller car might still be easier to drive through the cones.

Also, a big factor to the cost is the weakness of the dollar to the Euro. That automatically inflates the price over what it would cost if it was built by a company dealing in the dollar.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
I wouldnt pay over 25K for a car that size! Even with that engine. But I bet it is a SWEET ride. I really like the small size, decent power numbers, and RWD! Just not worth 40K+ IMO.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
stovt001

What does size have to do with price?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yup....just for a Beamer....way too much dollar. A Merc on the other hand? hmmm...a bank vault on wheels....love'em.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
A Merc on the other hand? hmmm...a bank vault on wheels....love'em.
I have to agree with ya' on that comment buddy. My Dad finally "gave in" and bought his first Merc, an E350 4-Matic, and what a nice car.

Granted, MercedesBenz has had it's "quality issues" just as BMW has, but "knock on wood", my Dad hasn't had any problems/issues.

As for spending more money just to have a badge, I don't get it. I've worked with people who are only focused on owning a Bimmer, etc., . I even have a friend who "had to own" a Porsche, and he gets a company car to use, while the Porsche sits in a city garage!

Paying $$$ for a badge is just stupid IMO.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
As far as the Camaro getting killed in the twisties by the BMW . . . im not so sure. The new G8/commodore/etc is said to be able to hold its own against the Germans that cost twice as much, and out accelerate them. Sounds like a fair fight to me
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
What does size have to do with price?
Well it is smaller than the 3 series so IMO it should cost less than it, not almost the same because technically you are getting less car for the same money. Even though it probably handles better and stuff but I dont care much for that as long as its fast in a line. I would just have to go for the 3 series for the same price .
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote