Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
shag

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Longtubes + Borla Touring or "S" type

Going with Kooks longtubes w/cats, but undecided on Borla "S" or Borla Touring catback. Love the sound of Borla, had the "S" axle back setup on a 06 Mustang (yes I defected, so happy I did), but looking for little less drone.

Do longtubes typically reduce drone?

If true, going with "S" type, otherwise it's Touring catback for me. Hoping someone who first installed Borla "S" catback (or other catbacks with some drone), then added longtubes w/cats can comment.
shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
headers will only make whatever you do LOUDER. i've heard folks with the Stinger setup claim some drone and Touring setup folks claim it too.

this was my concern as well. i too went with Kooks LT's catted but i got a set of Corsa catbacks because from i heard out there, the Corsa have a nice idle and gettin' on it tone but at cruising speed they're almost silent..

but if i had to choose from the Borla line up, i'd go Touring because you have headers. if they're too quiet, you can swap out the mufflers for the Stingers.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
I spoke with Chris from Borla and he recommended the touring set with LT's.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
2010SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
that's the way i was gonna go. then if you need it louder it's a muffler swap. but i opted for Corsa for the no DRONE factor.

quiet when cruising but snarling at trottle is what i'm after! thanks MarylandSpeed.....

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
chris@borla

Drives: 02 True Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
It will sound healthy without driving you nuts while cruising.
chris@borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
I have ARH LTs w/ Borla Stingers and they're completely tolerable. They're aggresive in WOT, but mellow enough when cruising. I too was concerned when buying them, but am extremely happy w/ them and wouldn't look back.
Swifty
P.S. The mild droning between 1700-1900 RPMs is less than what I had w/ MAC axle-backs in my Mustang GT...no problem.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Yea...I think "drone" is completely subjective. If I wanted a quiet Camaro I would've stayed with the stock exhaust. I bought the Borla Stinger cat-back and I love it. I have Kooks headers on the way, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Don't be scared of the Stinger!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
I have the stinger on my M6 and it does not drone. It is actually slightly quieter than I expected. I think I would be really unwelmed by the Touring if it was even quieter.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
I have ARH LTs w/ Borla Stingers and they're completely tolerable. They're aggresive in WOT, but mellow enough when cruising. I too was concerned when buying them, but am extremely happy w/ them and wouldn't look back.
Swifty
P.S. The mild droning between 1700-1900 RPMs is less than what I had w/ MAC axle-backs in my Mustang GT...no problem.
Thanks for posting.. I was worried about the S-types being too obnoxious with long tubes.. You made me feel better now.
Can't wait to get my long tubes installed
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Thanks for posting.. I was worried about the S-types being too obnoxious with long tubes.. You made me feel better now.
I can't wait either!

Hurry up Marylandspeed!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
2010SSRS

Quote:
the 2010 Camaro vid on Borlas youtube page sounds awesome.....i almost got the Stinger based on that clip alone!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
You're more than welcome. Let me know how you like the set-up once you get it installed. Personally, I love it...when my wife and daughter are in the car, I'm "undercover brother"...but when I'm alone, the testosterone sack hangs low.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS View Post
the 2010 Camaro vid on Borlas youtube page sounds awesome.....i almost got the Stinger based on that clip alone!
I've always loved the sound of Borla on other cars, and those Youtube clips sealed the deal for me. Here's one of mine.

I'll post another one once my headers are installed.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I can only speak about the '02 I used to have, but there was LESS drone with LTs/cats' than manifolds/OEM cats' through my Borla CB. Yes - it was a totally different configuration, however, suprisingly, the drone was less. With the cutout open, just cruising, it wasn't bad at all! Now, once you got on it, the lower frequencies (with the CO open) were fairly muted, considering, and well, pretty loud at WOT.

If you ask me, like the OP said - it's subjective. See about going for a ride with someone with a similar configuration to what you're considering. If you're looking for the best balance of loudness/tone/rasp/drone/etc., I think that's your best bet. If you're looking for the safest, the Stinger is probably not the best bet, IMO. I think tubing size is going to be an influence too, FWIW.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote