Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #43
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy View Post
The Bluetooth setup menu does come up. I have tried it in different ignition cycles with the same result. I guess I am screwed. Should I take it to the dealer or do you have any other suggestions?
Unfortunately, it seems like there might be something wrong with the USB port wiring. If the devices are 'turning on' when you plug it in, the 5V might be getting to the port (which also comes from the PDIM), but there might be something wrong with the data lines.

When you plug in a USB drive or some device (heck, even a phone), a message should pop up saying that the device is not supported. If you aren't getting any messages when you connect up a device, then there is no communication between the PDIM and your USB device. It seems very likely to be a wiring issue, or something wrong with the USB side of the PDIM. It's pretty tough to tell from your side.

I do recommend taking it in to the dealer giving them this information to help them diagnose the issue that you're seeing. Let me know if there's anything else that comes up along the way.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #44
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
my USB drive connects, indexes the songs, and shows that a song is playing.... but all i hear is static.

It plays CD's, XM, and FM just fine.

I have tried 3 different USB drives (all FAT32 formatted). All have the same result. Hope mine is not a lemon.

Anyone have any ideas about what would cause this?

Or is anyone else having this issue?
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 06-12-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #45
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
my USB drive connects, indexes the songs, and shows that a song is playing.... but all i hear is static.

It plays CD's, XM, and FM just fine.

I have tried 3 different USB drives (all FAT32 formatted). All have the same result. Hope mine is not a lemon.

Anyone have any ideas about what would cause this?

Or is anyone else having this issue?
I'm sorry that you're having problems with the USB input on your new car. It sounds like there might be a bad audio connection between the PDIM and your head unit. If you have an audio player and an aux jack cable, try connecting the audio player into the aux jack and see if there's static with that too. That connection is the input right next to the USB jack. If there's static there too, it's definitely the audio connection to the head unit, and your dealer would have to fix this.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
So after reading this. My I pod is not working in the Camaro.
It is 60Gig with 53Gig if music.all in music directory.
If I set up play lists on the I-pod. The camaro will then see the I pod.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #47
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
I'm sorry that you're having problems with the USB input on your new car. It sounds like there might be a bad audio connection between the PDIM and your head unit. If you have an audio player and an aux jack cable, try connecting the audio player into the aux jack and see if there's static with that too. That connection is the input right next to the USB jack. If there's static there too, it's definitely the audio connection to the head unit, and your dealer would have to fix this.
good info.. thanks !!!

... i didnt think about that... didnt know that the PDIM was separate from the stereo !!

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #48
jxmot

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
No, a PlaysForSure device will have the same limitations as a USB drive. When those connect up, they act almost identially to a flash drive where the vehicle has to index the whole thing. Actual iPods are the only ones that do the indexing themselves, so for you you'd have to grab a 5th Gen or newer iPod classic to fit your 55 gig of music.
@codeman71 - I've got Sansas, an e260 and e280. They are allegedly "PlaysForSure". I haven't tried them in a Camaro (waiting for it) yet. Both devices have 2 USB modes - MTP and MSC. Where one mode allows for dragging mp3 files over as if it were removable media. The other mode allows WMP to "syncronize" mp3's and playlists. So, provided that the player is in the 2nd mode will the Camaro still need to do the indexing itself?

thanks!
jxmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #49
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxmot View Post
@codeman71 - I've got Sansas, an e260 and e280. They are allegedly "PlaysForSure". I haven't tried them in a Camaro (waiting for it) yet. Both devices have 2 USB modes - MTP and MSC. Where one mode allows for dragging mp3 files over as if it were removable media. The other mode allows WMP to "syncronize" mp3's and playlists. So, provided that the player is in the 2nd mode will the Camaro still need to do the indexing itself?

thanks!
Yes. Only iPods take care of the indexing on behalf of the car.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #50
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
This may seem really obvious to some but when I ripped my first thumb drive using MS Media player there were a bunch of songs that wouldn't play. The folders in folders view were there but no songs in the folders showed up when I plugged it into the Camaro. So...I plugged the thumb drive back into my computer and checked the properties of the songs that would not show up. For some reason, the songs that wouldn't play were "protected". You can check this by moving the pointer over the file name in the explorer view of the thumb drive. I can't remember what setting I change in the Rip option of Media Player, but it had to do with "copy protected music" and I either checked or unchecked this option, I can't remember. Which ever it was when I ripped those songs again they were unprotected and played when I connected the thumb drive to the Camaro.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #51
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
sometimes my flash drive will play songs, and the screen will blank out and just leave a line across the top. I have a 8 gig san disk flash drive that is about half full any help?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #52
codeman71
GM Employee

Nova, could you be more specific on what you mean by blanking out? Is it completely blank with one line of pixels or one line of text? Does the music continue playing in the background? When it blanks out can you change sources to FM or XM or CD? Sorry you're having problems with the radio.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #53
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
might be a question someone has already asked but i could not find it. Can you hook up a external hard drive that is powered by usb and use that as a library of music like a ipod would be?
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montej23 View Post
might be a question someone has already asked but i could not find it. Can you hook up a external hard drive that is powered by usb and use that as a library of music like a ipod would be?
It depends on what type of drive and how the drive exposes itself to the car. Someone tried a hard disk and couldn't get it working. But if you're referring to a Flash drive or a portable hard drive that acts as a 'USB Mass Storage Device' then it *should* work just fine. Just keep in mind that you're limited to 2500 songs.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #55
Bell040

I know this is about as "Necro" as it gets, but I figured I would update my status on the PDIM issue (from Post # 44). It was finally replaced today.

Yes... that's 6 months waiting for a replacement PDIM module. :bangdesk:

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #56
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
did it work like you wanted it to?
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote