Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 03-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Yep. That's a great idea... like before posting you have to select from a drop down what 'category' it goes under. This will save time and head-aches for the Mods for sure. Now that's thinking outside the box!
What would keep someone from selecting "General Discussion" for their thread? Back-in-the-box!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #30
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
What would keep someone from selecting "General Discussion" for their thread? Back-in-the-box!
Don't make "General Discussion" one of the options?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #31
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Imagine an airport without a specific place for each airline and flight. Everyone piling in the same section. Chaos. I don't want to speak for them, but that is what I think the moderators are trying to avoid.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #32
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
I'm excited for that new Age of Ultron movie out in May! It should be pretty epic.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #33
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
The C5 forum site has been very well sectioned with specific forums for specific topics. The powers that be do this to help US, the C5 members. We can find info/opinions/guidance on topics we have interests in, and avoid all the BS (or discussions not in our interest) in the process.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the mods just deleted threads posted in the wrong forums. They have asked and asked and asked that people post in the correct forums, yet people (usually new folks) continue to post in the wrong ones. If they were to delete enough incorrectly posted threads immediately (and have an auto-generated email sent to the OP), people would learn real quickly not to do it.
I know that you hate stuff in the wrong forums. Like, lets say the we are in this forum and someone introduces a thread about a Chevy SS and then you get . This is a Camaro forum, let me repeat, Camaro forum
Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #34
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I'm excited for that new Age of Ultron movie out in May! It should be pretty epic.
The new Terminator is also coming out, epic X 2
Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #35
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Dear Mods, I don't think I've had the pleasure. Ya'll just seem to live behind the scenes and often just show up to move threads here and there when ya'll feel like it. All good... not trying to do your job nor will I ever be a mod for a forum ever again.

I've started this thread because something's been bothering me about how you guys move threads around. For the sake of being civil and perhaps to help some thoughts get more exposure... I am suggesting ya'll wait until a thread reaches like page 3 and beyond before ya yank it... or at least page two and perhaps, using a bit of discernment, can see that it will go no where else beyond where its been.

Just a thought. I'm sure there's a good reason for what you do - exposure by people who search for things, right... I agree that things should be categorized in some fashion. But how is something going to grow if it gets pigeon hole'd before it even gets a chance to take off?

Can ya'll break it down for me? Maybe I'm not seeing something... thanks for all you do (I know!), and for keeping the doors wide open. Its a great forum, I love it and the people in it... just had to get this off my chest. Have a great day.
I'm always curious about the "open letter to admin/moderators" thread. Yours is constructive, but mostly they are thinly veiled complaints and a chance to publicly air dirty laundry. I'd say yours is one of the 3 to 5 percent that's not just somebody beefing about nonsense. So. Good job.

This group of forums is actually moderated in a fairly lax but effective manner, and this is coming from a guy that has had his account suspended here.

Compare to the historic pistol collecting website I go to. On those forums, if you knowingly start a thread on say, a commercially available Colt Model of 1911 made in 1920 in the forum for US military-issued-only Colt Models of 1911, a moderator will issue you a warning. If you post words in a thread that has "pics only" in it's title, you'll get a warning. Even if you say something like "really great example, thanks for posting", you get warned about breaking the rules. That's draconian in my view and it does limit my enjoyment of that site to a fair degree. I feel C5 strikes a good balance in how the moderators do their thing.

What everyone should remember about a site like C5 is that it's owned by somebody and that somebody asks his moderators to do certain things. Even if it's just that Tran is a neat freak, that's what he's asked them to do- keep it tidy. Personally I prefer it that way; on-topic threads can move off the first index page awfully fast otherwise.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #36
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Uhm, while I hate to do this, I am going to move this to the proper subforum.

As to your comments, We the moderators and administrators of this site have lives away from Camaro5. The moderators offer their time to help keep the site orderly and easier to navigate. With nigh on 100,000 members, think about this possibility...

I start a thread, post it and go look at something else in a sub-forum for a minute... I come right back to the first page and it's gone.... and by the time I get to the second page it's at the bottom. or headed to page three...

If every thread was left in this forum until it went dead, or even for a few days, threads would disappear off the first page within moments. The majority of improperly posted threads are from newer members but this is by no means universal.... There are people with thousands of posts, and yet they still post in the wrong forums. Some of them have numerous warnings and even some infractions for this same activity...

I move obvious threads when I have time. Occasionally I just want to come read without doing any official actions. Other times I'll come on here strictly to check and properly locate threads.

There isn't any set time frame of pattern for moving threads either. Something I may feel is appropriate other mods may want to relocate it...

It works well for the most part. Some threads just don't have a particular place and cross the realm of several forums. At that point its a personal choice or maybe a case of looking at a thread with a different perspective.

You mentioned you were a Moderator on a forum, and I have to ask if it had the number of members or volume of traffic this forum has.

I'm tired from lots of travel the last two days and offshore working but I hope something in my ramblings helped..

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #37
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #38
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Uhm, while I hate to do this, I am going to move this to the proper subforum.

As to your comments, We the moderators and administrators of this site have lives away from Camaro5. The moderators offer their time to help keep the site orderly and easier to navigate. With nigh on 100,000 members, think about this possibility...

I start a thread, post it and go look at something else in a sub-forum for a minute... I come right back to the first page and it's gone.... and by the time I get to the second page it's at the bottom. or headed to page three...

If every thread was left in this forum until it went dead, or even for a few days, threads would disappear off the first page within moments. The majority of improperly posted threads are from newer members but this is by no means universal.... There are people with thousands of posts, and yet they still post in the wrong forums. Some of them have numerous warnings and even some infractions for this same activity...

I move obvious threads when I have time. Occasionally I just want to come read without doing any official actions. Other times I'll come on here strictly to check and properly locate threads.

There isn't any set time frame of pattern for moving threads either. Something I may feel is appropriate other mods may want to relocate it...

It works well for the most part. Some threads just don't have a particular place and cross the realm of several forums. At that point its a personal choice or maybe a case of looking at a thread with a different perspective.

You mentioned you were a Moderator on a forum, and I have to ask if it had the number of members or volume of traffic this forum has.

I'm tired from lots of travel the last two days and offshore working but I hope something in my ramblings helped..
SSE 4 2SS, thank you very much for your response. I hear you 100 percent and was just wondering about the logic of such moves. You've explained it in a manner that any of us can understand and I'm glad I brought this up so at the very least you can be heard/read by others on this process.

I was a mod early last decade for a few years for a place with only one main forum and maybe 3 or 4 (varied) sub-forums. The traffic was fairly high at one point and I remember some of the things I went through in the past. I know it can get crazy trying to keep things 'organized'... and that was with what I had to work with. You guys have to manage quite a few more I would say, so major kuddos for the job you're fulfilling here.

For the most part I think you guys are fair and understanding. ChrisBlair is right, I'm only trying to be constructive here and maybe the idea that Splitter brought up makes sense if possible. Adding the feature to select which forum to post in while posting one's post could help alleviate the situation. A plus of course would be having a general dump (or general discussion) that each post automatically falls in, along with it going in the right sub-forum. Just some thoughts.

Regardless, this place rocks if only because we all have so much in common lol. The rest is just icing on the cake. Lets all keep on keeping on...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Here's the #1 most important thing to understand about why we move threads out of 5th Gen General: except under rare circumstances we do not care one bit about the number of views that a thread gets today, this week, this month, or this year. And neither should you.

Also, threads are far more likely to get lost in 5th gen general than anywhere else on the site. How? Well, how often do you go past the first page of threads in a sub-forum? Approximately never, right ... same goes for everyone else. Each sub-forum displays 40 threads (I think). Each day, there are usually between 50 and 60 new or replied to threads in 5th gen general. Which means 10 to 20 new or recently active threads get pushed back to the 2nd page every single day.

In the sub forums, it might take a week or even a month for the same thing to happen. Furthermore, the people that visit those sub forums are more likely to have knowledge or interest in your topic and therefore can provide a better reply (on average) than what you would get in 5th Gen General. This is why 'thread views' is so utterly meaningless, and to a lesser extent replies. If I have a question, I would much rather have 1 person who knows the answer to give it read through 30 people squabbling over who's opinion is more right. And I have seen a number of instances where someone asks a question and 60 posts & a couple days later the actual answer still hadn't been given (one specific example was why overseas Camaros made more power, the answer is they were rated in a different unit of horsepower).

Now, why do I say that you'll get a better quality of answers in the subforum? Well, anyone that has a particular interest in that topic will (at least on occasion) visit that area. And if there is a new thread there, they will see it. The same cannot be said about 5th Gen General. Some people don't frequent it all that much (as hard as that may be to believe), and even if do they probably don't look past the 1st page of threads (which means there is a good chance they'll miss something thats been inactive for more than 12 hours). Its the busyness that many consider to be the 'strength' of 5th Gen General that is actually is biggest weakness.

Lastly, the difference in replies per day isn't nearly as big as some people make it out to be. I did a random sampling a while ago and saw that typically, they were within about 15% regardless of the section -with quite a few of the sub-forum threads actually out performing 5th Gen General threads.

All in all, there isn't much thats actually lost by having threads in the proper section, and quite a bit to be gained. That is why we move threads. If you don't know where a thread should go, read this sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
No consistency is right. I can look at the first page right now and see a couple threads that were moved and other threads that should be moved but are not. Some subjects on the forum are so strict and others especially in this section are the opposite of strict. A lot of threads should be deleted immediately. This general discussion section is silly and juvenile.
If you see a thread that needs moderator attention, either report it or PM us. Whether it should be moved or deleted or there's a troll harassing members or if its just something you think we should keep a close eye on just let us know, and we'll do what needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigelitest View Post
I thought u got booted for posting in the wrong area????
I think trolls should get booted for posting stupid threads bashing camaros
The only times that we have suspended the account of someone for posting in the wrong area is if they are repeat offenders who ought to know better and are clearly doing it out of laziness/view count.

As for trolls, we have banned plenty of them. Some are gone within hours and perhaps only a few dozen people even knew of their existence, while others walk a very fine line & hardly ever cross it -those ones take quite a bit longer to deal with.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #40
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Imagine an airport without a specific place for each airline and flight. Everyone piling in the same section. Chaos. I don't want to speak for them, but that is what I think the moderators are trying to avoid.
You have just described Mexico City's airport.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #41
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
DGthe3, I am in complete agreement with you on 'view count'... it means absolutely nothing and I like that this place doesn't refresh the views on every refresh. It keeps things interesting for me. If we could do without that column, I would be in a better place lol

What I think people, at least myself, were referring to is exposure. You are correct I think, that one will receive better responses to any given serious topic by people who are in these sub-forums to both help and learn. Visibility and exposure, however, remains something to consider further... for example if they're under a car posting off their cell phones hoping to get quick help on this or that, rare occasion, I know... but. I think it tests one's discernment and self control, when any of us decides to move anything from one place to another as Mods.

I've noticed on some occasions that one of the quickest ways to limit a thread from further immediate responses, whether that's the bickering or something really helpful, is for a mod to move it away from the 'General Discussion' forum. Then it no longer becomes general discussion, it becomes a pointed topic. Things go quiet quickly and maybe this is what you guys want and is needed in order to keep things sane sometimes on occasion. You guys understand that we all have lives, and sometimes all the time we have is to jump on the General Discussion forum to quickly check in and throw some thoughts out there. Truly, unless I'm actually on point towards something on my own car and with time to search the webs for detail, I'm often no where near any of the sub-forums. Different situations for different people having different perspectives about different things in life. We all do not have to agree on things, for sure...

Anyway, the mind wanders and of course, every one of us would have a say in how to make the world a better place. Its all relative and again, thank you for what you do here and for your responses... ya'll were mature about this and now that i've read you guys further, I can see that this place is in good hands and that its not just some freaking college kid going mod-power hungry at the helm.

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #42
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread and I did not see it in the General Section, but I appreciate the way the OP discusses this subject and do understand the point.

As for myself, I simply move them when I see them, with no regard to views etc, so this means the thread may have just been created or it may have been there for weeks. Either way it's not in the right spot and to keep things organized it gets moved with a re-direct so you actually get exposure in two places. Others are reported, then moved and the ones that are so wrong like a Hellcat thread in General may get an official warning if the user has been around and should know. Also, warnings are given when we see that every single thread a person makes has to be moved. If we don't do that then we get to keep moving them.

Now let me toss this one back at the OP. After looking at your entire thread creation list you have started everything in Camaro General and only had 3 moved counting this thread. The rest have dropped out of sight and 90% of them still need to be moved and probably never will at this point. If everyone did this it would be a mess and no way we could keep up.

Bottom line is we need everyone's help to keep things in the proper category. The #1 complaint is the search function doesn't work well and threads in the wrong forum doesn't help.

Good discussion and I'll go back and re-read. My thought would be for a user to set an automatic move to the proper forum so it gets moved after a certain time period.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  210.4 KB