Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
DIY: Wiring front speakers and MyLink radio to a DSP

After searching high and low across the internet I found a lot of useful information to achieve my goals, however some information was missing. For that reason I decided to write up the DIY I wish I would have had in an effort to help others who may be wanting to do a similar project.

So I'll start with some background of the project goal.

1. Connect the front speaker outputs of the MyLink head unit into an Audison Bit Ten D digital processor's inputs for front left and front right. Rear speaker outputs untouched to used as fills from the stock radio for now and all of the other stock controls remain intact (phone, steering wheel controls, etc.)

2. Connect 4 outputs of the Audison to a 4 channel amp, 1 channel for each front speaker in an active crossover configuration. Wire each amp output to the front speakers (two per side).

3. Connect the Audison Sub output to a separate mono amp.

Most of the research I needed I found in forums and the dealer who I purchased the stuff from. What I couldn't find was wiring info specific to the Camaro's 44 pin connector to the radio.

Note that this worked for my specific needs. Yours may be different and this is only to present ideas through my own experiences. Always have a solid plan before proceeding.

One of the challenges was figuring out how to get the speaker wire through the cabin and into the doors without destroying anything.

Just below the wiring cluster coming out of the cabin is a plug covering a hole not used (might be used in other models). I removed the plug and fed both sets of speaker wire through this hole.
Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  116.2 KB

The next shot shows where I fed the wire into the door. I loosened the two nuts to get the wire through easier and put some plastic wire wrap around the exposed wire to make it look neater.
Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  128.9 KB

Before I connected and installed the new woofer, I poked a hole in the rubber fastener to run the tweeter wire through and taped it with electrical tape to the existing harness to keep it from flopping around.
Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  109.1 KB

After measuring and cutting the 4 wires that will connect the head unit to the DSP, I fed them behind the radio enclosure as shown. (leave enough slack - nothing worse that finding out your wire is too short after an hours work)
Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  112.6 KB

This is where I cringed the most. I could not find any information on the pin assignment for the 44 pin connector. I already knew the wire coloring at the speakers after inspecting the connection at the woofers and held my breath that the 44 pin connector used the same scheme. So, before I disconnected the original wiring of the door speakers and a little common sense, I clipped the two wires for what I thought was the + and - for the passenger door (If I wasn't so cheap I would have bought a volt meter). Then I reconnected the connector to the radio and no sound! So I clipped the wires for the drivers side and connected these to the wires that will go to the DSP as shown.

For the record, The wire colors on my vehicle are
Light green - right front +
Dark green - right front -
Tan - left front +
Grey - left front -
Name:  image5.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  90.2 KB

The next photo is just where I ran the wires to the back. Later I will pull out the seats and carpet to clean up the install and sound deaden the floor.
Name:  image6.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  205.3 KB

Well that's it and it works fine. There is still more to do and as I progress I will post more.

Last edited by Brandywine5; 03-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Brandywine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
Nice work. I ended up drilling holes in my door and the jamb to fit my speaker wires. I did not think to run the wires through the hinge area.