Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #337
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
camero, glad to see you're still around.

Eisenhauer, I completely agree. I want to know what changes so much that it's going to explode in a collission if placed on top. I can understand it exploding if the GAS TANK were behind the rear left quarter panel. But, I can't understand it exploding just because a filler valve is pointed upwards and not off to the side.

As for all those people who claimed you would spill some gas on your paint if it was up on top, I just spilled gas again on mine....and it's on the side! That just goes to show that it doens't matter what side of the car the filler is located (top or side), you're still going to have an occassional spill.....just clean it up!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #338
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by camero View Post
That explanation made so much sense to me that I believed it at first too but the other day I compared them in the computer and the concept car and the production car are nearly identical in that area.... the c-pillar touchdown didn't move and there is the same amount of room for the gas cap in the same location. I guess you're going to just have to believe Scott's explanation instead. (it sure does look flatter in that picture though... it must be the angle and the white paint.... the good news it that you're getting the huge roof-to-body offset that you fell in love with at the autoshow!) (oh, and concept car headlights don't really work on the street either..... they don't put out much light and if they do for more than a few minutes they melt.... you have to test real cars with real headlights)
Camero - Nice to see you, again.

But what about underneath the body panels? I mean, the actual frame of the car? I suppose it would be relatively easy to keep the same 'shell' while moving the the actual C-pillar around underneath, right? Just throwing it out there.
If that was the case, then it'd make a little more sense, yeah?

Also, I was trying to rationalize why exactly having a cap up on top is more of a danger than on the side...and I came up with somewhat of a reasonable explanation as to the 'exploding cap' reason that Scott gave us:
Since the tube between cap and tank would be more direct if the cap was up top, would that not make it easier for fuel to spurt out of the top (under pressure) and land right on top of the wreck, than if it were on the side??

As for the Bentley, and the Lambo......
Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #339
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Since the tube between cap and tank would be more direct if the cap was up top, would that not make it easier for fuel to spurt out of the top (under pressure) and land right on top of the wreck, than if it were on the side??
There should be a little ball inside the neck of the filler tube- I think GM does this with their cars. That little ball does a few things:
1. It prevents fuel from gushing out of the tank if the car flips.
2. Makes it reeeeeally hard for someone to siphon your gas.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #340
Killer CamAro

Drives: 06 cobalt ss, 1968 camaro ss
Even if it turns out its on the side (and i think it just might ) either way it needs that kick azz cap
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #341
Camaro Lives On
Force RECON

Drives: 2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
Send a message via AIM to Camaro Lives On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
There should be a little ball inside the neck of the filler tube- I think GM does this with their cars. That little ball does a few things:
1. It prevents fuel from gushing out of the tank if the car flips.
2. Makes it reeeeeally hard for someone to siphon your gas.
Isn't that a trick that GM started using last year in their NASCAR teams? If i remember correctly NASCAR decided to use that in all the new COT's (car of tomorrow for those who arent NASCAR freaks like me). Like Eisenhower said, it stops fuel form coming out at a certain angle (about 45 degrees i think). A ball rolls toward the top and locks off the valve near the base of the filler neck, keeping any fuel from coming out, in the even of a roll over. If GM were to do this then it might make it possible to put the filler cap on top of the fender. Now might i add, all the stuff I just said is guesses on my part. I'm just going off of a very large hunch. i might be wrong on every bit of it, but i dunno.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #342
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
As for the Bentley, and the Lambo......
Do Bentleys and Lambos have 5 star safety ratings? I'm pretty sure that they don't.

I remember hearing something about how Chevy, and maybe GM as a whole, wanted all of their cars (including the Camaro) to have 5 star crash safety ratings. So they're holding themselves to higher standards than are required to sell cars in North America.
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #343
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I couldn't tell you how many accidents I've handled where the vehicle was either on it's side or had rolled over on it's roof. I have never had one of those veh's leak gasoline....never. I don't know if there's a stopper ball or not, but whatever it is, it doesn't leak.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 AM   #344
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
Here's something to think about:

Maybe, just maybe, GM looked at the gas cap, and went...damn....it'd work even better RIGHT THERE (new location) and everyone will love it. And because it's so awesome a location and finishes the car off even better than the concept (and they've had so many leaks and whatnot) they decided thta they would just make everyone wait to see it and tempt them with pictures of half-finished and cobbled together cars that would make everyone want to see the finished product even more.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #345
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Found some bigger versions. Consume away
Also added to first post of this thread.
Attached Images

Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #346
HooliganZ

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
I see a bowtie on that centercap!
HooliganZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #347
djthecop

Drives: Toyota
that is so kickass!
djthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #348
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Aww, I love this car!!! So far I haven't seen anything on it that I don't like .
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #349
COPO_Chevy

Drives: 2015 Malibu 1LT; '87 Grand Prix LE
Send a message via MSN to COPO_Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Aww, I love this car!!! So far I haven't seen anything on it that I don't like .
dido to that
COPO_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #350
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
The front comes to such a point/angle. It sends shivers down my spine.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote