Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #85
joegagan

Drives: 70 f bird etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
GM is still on the brink of bankruptcy and will have to go back to the government and ask for more money again and again. At some point the government will only provide more help if their input is followed regarding fuel efficiency and low emissions. The Camaro will then either cease production entirely or see all V8 engine choices eliminated and replaced with much smaller direct injection engines. Don't think this can happen? Think again.
any government agency that mandates a corporation do something that is directly opposed to customer demand is out of it's mind.

-- oh wait, i forgot, everything we've seen from this administration is opposed to common sense and free market rules....
joegagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #86
joegagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
very interesting discussion....my 2 cents...first the camaro has had a 4 in it before. Its was called the berlinetta. It was the base model with of that line. It had upscale interior but thats about it.
sorry, wrong.

the berlinetta package had the v6 as the base engine, you could not even get the berlinetta with the iron duke.

base model of what line? what are you talking about?

according to 3rd gen.org ( coincides with my memory of the available packages in 82):
quote:
1982 Camaro Berlinetta came standard with the LC1 V-6. The LG4 V-8 was optional. Berlinetta came standard with exterior gold 'Berlinetta' badging on the rear bumper and C pillars. The headlamp pockets were painted in an accent color and tail lights got a gold and black horizontal divider bar. Berlinetta also got its own lower body pinstriping. The Berlinetta came standard with its own unique 14x7 finned aluminum wheel with gold accenting and 'Berlinetta' center cap. Also standard was the custom cloth interior, rear storage well cover and additional carpeting on rear wheelhouses ('deluxe luggage compartment trim'). Berlinetta also came standard with additional body insulation, softer suspension and full instrumentation. The Berlinetta also had its own unique steering wheel with 'Berlinetta' badge.

end quote

Last edited by joegagan; 03-16-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #87
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Ah, the Berlinetta. Didn't know it didn't have dukes. I've never driven a duke-powered camaro or firebird, but I will tell you this: As a former owner of two different iron duke-powered fieros, that the <2400 lb 2-seat mid-engined fiero is the largest car that should ever have had such a motor.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #88
joegagan

i rode in the backseat of a test drive of a 1982 firebird with a 4 cyl/ 4speed combo in late 81, when the 82's were just coming to the dealer. first of the 3rd gen production run, for sure. (color= gold)

it was pathetic.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #89
Rob490

Drives: NONE
The v6 is fine and with 29mpg you really cant ask for much more
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #90
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegagan View Post

it was pathetic.
I can only imagine, my friend. Nothing stirs the soul like 95 hp (that was the 'suped up' TBI fiero version!) and a 4500 rpm redline, the engine howling and shaking, having given up its peak hp/tq long ago. One thing the duke did do quite well was get 40 mpg in my two duke-powered fieros. (ok the 84 got 40 mpg, my 88 only ever got 37 mpg. )
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #91
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegagan View Post
i rode in the backseat of a test drive of a 1982 firebird with a 4 cyl/ 4speed combo in late 81, when the 82's were just coming to the dealer. first of the 3rd gen production run, for sure. (color= gold)

it was pathetic.
My wife had an '82 Firebird 4-banger/4-speed (no name or letters on it, just Firebird). It was awful.

To Vash: Enough with the stupid Ricer comments. In 2006 the $20,000 I had to spend on a sporty/economical/reliable car did not have a place at Chevrolet (I don't like the Cobalt). If the V6 Camaro had existed then, it would have been different.

By the way, I bought my Honda from Americans, it's built by Canadians, and serviced by Americans. Sure, I want to "buy American", but you do have to consider that if everyone did, the lack of "ricers" on the road would put a lot of people out of work. In other words, lets get enough people in Camaros to save GM, but think twice about disparaging all the good people at my Honda dealer and the Canadian Honda plant.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #92
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob490 View Post
The v6 is fine and with 29mpg you really cant ask for much more
For the power, price, and fuel economy there isn't anything that comes close.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote