Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Would a Stainless Works Retro Chambered catback be my solution?

Problem: Cammed, Pfadt Longtubes w/o cats, Magnaflow non-resonated X-Pipe, Magnaflow Competition Series Axleback (Muffler Delete) = Loud and Raspy

So I've done pretty much the back asswards way of making your car louder in that I started with an axleback and worked my way towards a cam install and now I'm stuck with exhaust that is loud and raspy.

I don't mind the loud, but the raspiness gets to me (Apex Chase can attest to this as he's driven my car). Would a Stainless Works retro chambered system act as a resonator?

I found a youtube video that sounds like it would fix my problem, but on a laptop it's kind of hard to really tell.

I was hoping for real life experience/opinions from those that may have been in a similar boat. I've considered just adding in the resonated x-pipe, but if I can kill two birds with one stone I'll just go ahead and upgrade to a full stainless 3" system.

Thanks!
Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
im in the same boat, only I have the MBRP 3" system, long tubes and Kaotic cam...uber raspy:/
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Pharmaro

Apex Chase had posted this in another thread and I wondered if the chambering would act as a resonator. I have no clue myself.

"They use two 3 inch chambered sections on each side (4 total). Just after the x-pipe and then again just before the tips. The sections with the crimping on the outer pipe are the chambered sections."

Name:  ca11cb.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  3in.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  30.5 KB
Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I think that video sounds fantastic
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Considering the cost of the Chambered cat-back, have you considered switching your x-pipe to the resonated version first? I have read one of its purposes is for reducing rasp, so maybe your solution could be as simple and cheap as that. I think it is worth a shot at least, interested to hear your final solution.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I always though that adding bullet mufflers knocks it down a lot. It might quiet it more than you want though.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Sounds dang good to me!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
mikespeed69

Drives: 2012 AGM SS RS
I just installed dynatech headers on my retro and feel its to loud. It is a little raspy and I really miss the sound of the retro alone. It sounds great at idle and lugging it around but anything over 3k and I dont like it. Not sure what im going to do.
mikespeed69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Pharmaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Considering the cost of the Chambered cat-back, have you considered switching your x-pipe to the resonated version first? I have read one of its purposes is for reducing rasp, so maybe your solution could be as simple and cheap as that. I think it is worth a shot at least, interested to hear your final solution.
The resonated x-pipe will probably be my first attempt at quieting the rasp down once spring finally gets here as it would be a cheaper solution. I was just hoping someone would have had a similar experience and the chambering on the SW system would have a similar effect to a resonated x-pipe.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Yeah I understand your thought pattern completely. I have a feeling after getting used to it a bit more and then adding the new x-pipe you will be happy with the end result. Hopefully anyway, as that's a relatively cheap solution. I will have my headers installed in a week, and will keep this in mind for myself in case its a bit too loud for me. Good Luck man!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #11
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
if your in the cleveland area of OH they are having free installation on all camaros when you buy a full or cat back system during March. just thought I would mention this

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote