Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
A few comments since I'm familiar with the area - I'm sure your dry run will work these out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman28a View Post
Proposed Route: (Use map view on google maps to trace the route out. Satellite view doesn't work for some of it.) I will be doing this route Fri or Sat to verify roads are not blocked, or under construction and to see if there are any picturesque spots we can stop at.

Meet at Tim Hortons at Mississauga and Derry Road’s @ 9AM-10AM
East THAT'S ACTUALLY WEST on Derry Road to Trafalgar North

Then west on 15 sideroad to hwy 25 north to 22nd sideroad and back accross to Trafalgar. North on Trafalgar Rd (Turns into Wellington Road 24) to Hwy 24 (Wellington Road 124) and head east to 9th line, turn right and then left onto Wellington Road 52 which turns into Bush Road.

Follow Bush Road to the Forks of the Credit Road to Hurontario and turn north to Highway 9. Turn left on Highway 9. THERE IS THE COFFEE SHOP IN BELFOUNTAIN BUT THE PARKING THERE IS LIMITED. JUST EAST OF THE SWITCH-BACK ON THE FOTC THERE IS A SPOT TO PARK ALONG THE SIDE OF THE ROAD (BESIDE THE RIVER). IT'S PRETTY THERE BUT THE PROBLEM IS IT'S ON THE NORTH (WESTBOUND) SIDE.
We will make a stop at Angels Diner. It is on Hwy 9 on route.
NEED TO GO THROUGH ORANGEVILLE HERE. AT HWY 9 & 10 NEED TO DO THE RIGHT/LEFT TURN. NOT A BIG DEAL AS VISIBILITY IS GOOD

Follow Hwy 9 west to 3rd line (CR11) and head north.
Head straight north on CR11 towards Shelburne to Hwy 89, jog right and then left onto 124 north.
IF YOU WANT SOME BEAUTIFUL HILL TOP VIEWS YOU CAN GO UP HWY 10 TO THE GREY HIGHLANDS. PROBLEM IS IT'S A BIT OUTTA THE WAY.

Reddickville marks CR 21 and we'll turn right here and start east.
THIS IS NICE TOO. BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CONTINUING UP 124 AND GOING EAST ON GREY ROAD #9. IT'S TWISTY AND VERY PRETTY AS YOU COME DOWN TOWARDS AIRPORT RD. IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE i WAS UP THERE BUT I'M 99% SURE IT'S A PAVED ROAD. NOT SURE OF IT'S CONDITION. JUST A THOUGHT.

Turn right at Airport Road and then right again at SR 20, also known as River Road.
HMMM DON'T THINK I'VE BEEN ON THAT ONE. MIGHT BE GRAVEL

At Hornings Mills we'll turn left and head south again to Hwy 89.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO OUT TO HORNING TO GO BACK DOWN TO 89. YOU CAN GO STRAIGHT SOUTH AT KILGORE IF YOU WANT.

At 89, turn left and then right again at the lights at Hwy 10.

Continue south to CR 8 at Camilla where we'll turn left towards Mono Centre.

Continue along CR 8 until we're back at Airport Road (#18) - take a right and head south.

Follow Airport Road to Hockley Valley Road and turn left. Follow to the end where the country diner is (Adjala TLine).
THAT DINNER IS ACTUALLY IN HOCKLEY I THINK, NOT AT THE EAST END OF HVR

Get back on Hockley Valley Road and follow west to Hwy 10, turn left and head south.

AWESOME ROUTE!! S/B VERY PRETTY THIS W/E :THUMBSUP:

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
Zeeman28a

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
Thanks for pointing out the west on Derry Rd. I really need to get my compass fixed.

On Google Maps, are you saying the portion of Hwy 10 that is labelled Prince of Wales? I'll check it out.

NO GRAVEL. I'm trying to avoid the gravel stuff. I found out about River Road on a motorcycle forum as they cruise thru there quite often. I had a look on a map and it doesn't look like gravel, but I said that about McLaren Road and the Gorge Sideroad and I've omitted them now. I'll know today for sure as I do the route. I'd be surprised if them MC's cruise on gravel sideroads.

We're going to have about 18 Vettes, my Durango, a Porsche and I think about 2 Camaro's so far (maybe 3???), if everyone that said they would show, actually show up. There's always some last minute issues that keep people from coming out unfortunately.

1 more sleep!

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 10-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Zeeman28a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #17
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
River road is not gravel and smoooth as heck with ups and downs and twisties.....i highly recomend it.

Ken
Old 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Ultimate_Bumblebee
On order 2LT Rally yellow

Drives: Acura TSX 2007, 2LT T-form edi
Only 2-3 Camaro's? I'll see if I can come. C'mon people now! Come out!!!
Ultimate_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
francone13

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
id love to come im not to far from there but iv got a horrible cold :(
francone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
tiggerss

Drives: orange 2ss/rs
Me and one of my boys will be there,see you at timmies,looking forward to meeting you guys!
tiggerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Zeeman28a

Well I went out today and did a dry run. I've had to cut River Road off the route. There are parts of that part of the route that are gravel.

First off, OMG the lines on a map make everything seem so close together. I was not expecting the distance I travelled for the trip.

2. You cannot tell the difference between some dirt/gravel roads and paved road on a map. I've had to cut a portion of the route due to some of the roads being gravel.

3. Forks of the Credit sucks. Period. Too many people walking about. Get stuck behind a vehicle travelling 20kph below the posted (40kph-50kph) speed limit. And the incredible amount of cops. The street itself is nice.

4. Some streets are not labelled the same on the map as they are on the street. ie: Hockley Road is plainly marked on Airport Road if you are driving south. But if you are driving north on Airport Road, you have to look for Durham Rd 7. (This is not the only example.)

5. I wasn't expecting to have to pop my ears. CR21 drops quite a few feet in a short distance.

6. I can't believe the amount of gravel/dirt roads that are so much fun to drive.

So see everyone tomorrow between 9 and 10. We will be stopping in Orangeville at Angels Diner and then again at Hockley Valley.

Stan.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
CanadianCamaro

Having grown up north of where we're driving I can say yes, there is more scenic, fun to drive gravel roads than paved in ontario. Try hitting some north of Gravenhurst! Mondo fun! But, you need a beater to do this.

Ear popping yes - lots of roads around for that

I'm curious what your milage was on the dry-run. I guestimated it at about 350.

FOTC does suck on weekends. Too many bicycles and 70 grandpas taking in the scenery. Even still, nice to drive. Can be avoided by going north (can't remember road) just as you exit Belfountain heading east. But you miss all the fun. I've gone up there a few times first thing (i.e. 5am in July). Lots of fun, no cops.

See you in a few

Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
Zeeman28a

I was expecting 13-15 cars and was surprised when 36 cars rolled out of the Tim Hortons. Must have been a sight to see for onlookers. Good looking convoy in my rear view mirrors.

30 Vettes (mostly C5 & C6, including 2 C3's and 1 C4), 4 2010 Camaros, 1 Cadillac CTS-V, 1 2008 Ford Mustang and a Dodge Durango

Thanks to everyone that came out and an extra thanks to those that stuck in for the full cruise to Hockley Valley. :thumbs:

Post up the everyone. If you don't want to post, email them to me and I will post. Click on under my avatar to get my email address.

FYI: Here's the link to the CorvetteForum thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...ober-18th.html

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 10-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #24
CanadianCamaro

Thanks again Stan for organizing the road rally.... eerrr... I mean cruise. Good to see all those cars.
Joe and I came back across FOTC on the way home. MISTAKE! I think every car in north america was on that road this afternoon. I've seen it bad before but never that bad. So we did good when we came across in the morning.

No pics here. Forgot my camera at home

Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #25
Kenny

Drives: 2010 SS RS IOM M6
Thanks Stan, it was a great day!

Here are a few pics my son Michael took

Old 10-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
tiggerss

Kenny, thanks for showing me the way home.It was a great day,this was the first cruise for my son and I.We met alot of great people,like Don and Kenny,his son Micheal,and Rob.We can't wait until the next one( hopefully we have more Camaro's),and a special thanks to Stan.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
Corvetteboy3
Corvette+Camaro= win :)

Drives: anything with wheels
Thanks to all of you, it was a blast:P

Pics later..
Corvetteboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #28
tiggerss

Oh,we just have to get the VETTE BOYS to quit braking on those hairpins( haha),next time!!!