Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Cool Do our headlights come on with our wipers?

So I have a SS/RS and I know how the headlights and DRL's work but I was driving in the rain yesterday and it was fairly bright out. The headlights were on but I thought well, maybe it's just dark enough to trigger them (overcast). As I pulled into my drive I shut off the wipers. No big deal.
But when I started into the garage I noticed my headlights came back on.
I know what you're thinking, this is where my confusion came into play also. I thought my headlights were already on, why would they come BACK on?

So I backed out of the garage and they promptly shut back off.
I turned on the wipers and they turned back on. Cool.

In some states it is law that you have to have your headlights on if you have your wipers on so if GM thought this through for us and it's automatic, thanks!

Can anyone confirm?
Also, why are there so many undocumented features on these cars... ?
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
So I have a SS/RS and I know how the headlights and DRL's work but I was driving in the rain yesterday and it was fairly bright out. The headlights were on but I thought well, maybe it's just dark enough to trigger them (overcast). As I pulled into my drive I shut off the wipers. No big deal.
But when I started into the garage I noticed my headlights came back on.
I know what you're thinking, this is where my confusion came into play also. I thought my headlights were already on, why would they come BACK on?

So I backed out of the garage and they promptly shut back off.
I turned on the wipers and they turned back on. Cool.

In some states it is law that you have to have your headlights on if you have your wipers on so if GM thought this through for us and it's automatic, thanks!

Can anyone confirm?
Also, why are there so many undocumented features on these cars... ?
I don't think the lights come on automatically with the wipers. When I pull into my garage in the late afternoon its just dark enough for the light sensor to recognize the change and turn on the Auto Light function.

Easy to figure out - on a bright day just turn on the wipers and see if the Headlights come on - if so you found an Easter Egg - if not then it needs to be dark enough at the same time the wipers are turned on to have the Auto light sensor trip as well... IMO.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
My headlights will stay on if its raining hard enough (thus dark enough to trigger the light sensor), kinda like these last few days here... but my guess would be that maybe just before you entered the garage your car figured it was light enough not to need the headlights on anymore And of course the darkness in the garage would have brought them right back on.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
I don't think the lights come on automatically with the wipers. When I pull into my garage in the late afternoon its just dark enough for the light sensor to recognize the change and turn on the Auto Light function.

Easy to figure out - on a bright day just turn on the wipers and see if the Headlights come on - if so you found an Easter Egg - if not then it needs to be dark enough at the same time the wipers are turned on to have the Auto light sensor trip as well... IMO.
It could have been coincidence but I did it a couple times... I drive into the garage, lights come on (not new). I pull out, they go off. If I turned on the wipers, the lights came on. Though it could have been just timing on my part, turning on the wipers as a particularly thick cloud rolled over or something. Turned off the wipers and the lights went off... drove back into the garage and lights came on...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Your headlights come on if your wipers are on for a bit. It's for safety. Many (most?) states have it as a law.
CamaroFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Your headlights come on if your wipers are on for a bit. It's for safety. Many (most?) states have it as a law.
Thanks CamaroFemme, and I love you lol
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I concur. I first had my doubts because I tried it and they did not come on, but Camaro5 users informed me it should work, so I tried again and figured out that you need to leave the wipers on for about 15 seconds and the lights then light up.

Cool feature!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Schuby
Vroooom!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I can confirm this as well, great feature!

California is one of the states that you must have headlights on if your wipers are on (within reason, not just 'washing' your windows, actual rain).
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Greenspock

Drives: 2SS/RS Black/black
Nice. I was wondering this myself.
Greenspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
Thanks CamaroFemme, and I love you lol