Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
techy96z

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS IOM Interior
Clear Bra Question

For those of you that have already invested in a clear bra for the front of your Camaro's, how is it holding up?

Has anyone had to remove their clear bra after a period of time and if so, what was the condition of the paint under the bra?

I just trying to determine the level of protection that the system actually offers as my thinking is if a rock hit the front of a car with the clear bra installed, the under lying paint still gets "damaged" but is held together or in place by the bra. Once the bra is removed, for whatever reason, Im thinking that paint will still "chip away" as it was loosened by the original impact.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
THE BEST THING THAT I EVER BOUGHT FOR MY RIDE!!!! I put that in caps for a reason!!! Not 1 single chip or nick on the front end and my car is 9 months old. I didn't realize when I had it done that it would work that good.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
The dealer wanted to throw one in for me... and I passed it up. He wanted to sell it to me for $250 then went down to their cost of $150. I figured I could get it somewhere cheaper if I really wanted it. Maybe I should look into it.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
b20

Drives: 2013 1LE RS 1SS
i did the 3m kit
it is trashed
took a shoot by a fling piece of metal
not bad 3 small marks in the paint bra took the hit awsome

love it ordered a new one
b20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
The dealer wanted to throw one in for me... and I passed it up. He wanted to sell it to me for $250 then went down to their cost of $150. I figured I could get it somewhere cheaper if I really wanted it. Maybe I should look into it.
$150? Installed? Man, you should have jumped all over that. I think most people are paying around $700. I found a place that will do it for under $600. One guy even quoted me a "sale" at $1200.
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerDrache View Post
$150? Installed? Man, you should have jumped all over that. I think most people are paying around $700. I found a place that will do it for under $600. One guy even quoted me a "sale" at $1200.
Well it was $150... but he never said anything about the installed price. I imagine it would have cost more. I was going to price shop and see if there's anything better. If need be I can always go back and see what they'll charge me now.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Yes, 600 to 800 minimum I would say, but again there are some installs that are better than others.

I have one, and will be removing at least part of it next Tuesday. I am not happy with the product used, because it has trememdous swirls in it. However, someone else in our club has one that I believe is 3M and his looks much better than mine. Mine was Venture Shield, but I don't know which product if they have more than one. It just didn't hold clear and shiny.

I had one on my Infiniti that I traded in and it looked much better after 4 years than my current one of 1 year. So do your research.

I have never seen a car where it has been removed, but I might next week. I did have one "tear" where a rock hit, and if the clear bra hadn't been there, would have had to have "work done"...

Good luck on yours!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
I had one installed on an Acura TL back in 04. I just sold the car and removed a few spot that were bashed (rear bumper above the trunk) and the paint was SPOTLESS!! I paid over a grand back then and when the Camaro arrives, back for another!!!

Only go with 3M.
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I paid $750 for the clear bra on my Camaro. It's on the front, 12" up the hood, down the rocker pannel, on the A Pillars, 4" from the top of the windshield back, and on the gills, and on the mirrors. It's by far the best money I've spent on this car.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Have it on the front bumper, hood, front quarter panels, and mirrors. It works, even saved the paint from a side swipe from another car. They scratch really easily, but will leave your paint pristine.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmate View Post
Yes, 600 to 800 minimum I would say, but again there are some installs that are better than others.

I have one, and will be removing at least part of it next Tuesday. I am not happy with the product used, because it has trememdous swirls in it. However, someone else in our club has one that I believe is 3M and his looks much better than mine. Mine was Venture Shield, but I don't know which product if they have more than one. It just didn't hold clear and shiny.

I had one on my Infiniti that I traded in and it looked much better after 4 years than my current one of 1 year. So do your research.

I have never seen a car where it has been removed, but I might next week. I did have one "tear" where a rock hit, and if the clear bra hadn't been there, would have had to have "work done"...

Good luck on yours!!!
hmm..sounds like a bad install. Venture Shield has a lifetime warranty. Take it to another detailer.
my venture shield ultra looks perfect, can't even see it.
Front bumper, 1/3 hood, mirrors and lower rockers.
first mod. no regrets!
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I think mine is 3M and I can see the line on the hood and front fender. Had wax buildup I was trying to remove with my thumbnail and I slipped off the edge and made scratches in the clear bra material. Rubbed it out with Meguiars Swirl-X and can't tell it was ever there. It has saved the hood and panel in front of the hood from 3 pretty big chips--big enough to have gouged the bra, but they didn't go through to the paint. I have bug guts marks on the bra now that I can't get out cuz the bugs sat for a few days while I was in a hotel. We'll see if the Porter Cable can take them out.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
H1Chester
Bowties forever

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport
I bought one off ebay and did it myself, huge pain in the @$$ to install and some areas didn't go on very well. I am going to leave it on for a little bit and just see how it goes. It has some bubbles and some little spots where it wants to come up. I went with the cheap one off ebay for $40 bucks, so if I take it off, no biggie. I'm usually a do it yourselfer but if I did this again I would have somone else do it.

$150 for the dealer to install is a steal!!!
5% tint, AC red interior overhead LED, footwell, grill and engine bay lighting, license plate LEDs, reverse LEDs, painted black badges, bowtie, and tail light bezels, Heritage grill, T3 ports with LEDs, T3 splitter with cooler, carbon fiber vinyl hashmarks, TSW Nurburgring wheels, Nitto Invo tires, Hurst shifter, RX 1LE catch can, Rotofab intake, American Racing headers, Flowmaster exhaust, CMS camshaft, 3.91 rear end, BMR suspension, StopTech rotors, steel brake lines 456RWHP 422Tq on Mustang Dynamometer. Built, tuned by Cunningham Motorsports. SD Region SCCA
H1Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
mcamisgroup

Drives: 2012 ZL1
The best mod I have made on the car to date. Had the 3M clear bra installed 2 months ago and there is not a chip anywhere on the car. The installer held up a piece of the 3M before installation and challenged me to try and run my key through it. I couldn't and almost knocked him over trying. Incredibly strong and you can't see it if you are not directly on it.
mcamisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote