Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Racerman

Drives: German rides
Interior issues: GM, are you listening?????

On Sunday I spent 30 minutes inside a 2SS "evaluating" the interior. Why? Because I truly like the exterior to the point where, for the first time, I have considered buying a Camaro. (Previously, I owned a 1995 Mustang GT which I highly modified and enjoyed tremendously until it reached the point in the EPA cycle where it would no longer meet emissions. It was sold.)

I have also looked at purchasing a 2007/8 Corvette, but was put-off by the poorly designed & executed interior. Loved the rest of the car.... (As a side note, GM has routinely been hounded for the interior in the Vette, yet has done very little to fix it. Indeed, the steering wheel can be found in their lowly sedans & SUVs. Wow...)

So, wanting to like this interior lead me to these impressions of this 2SS in the hopes that they would be addressed by GM:
1.) I felt as if I was sitting in a cave, with sightlines being very poor on all sides & corners.
2.) The interior was filled with an overabundance of cheap, hard plastic.
3.) The dashboard was truly cartoonish and, IMHO, could use a complete redesign. The only exception was the 4-gauge cluster on the center console.
4.) The steering wheel is an ergonomic disaster. Period.
5.) There was no provision for the passenger seat to be elevated.
6.) The sunroof, necessary to alleviate the dark-cave syndrome, took-up way too much headroom. I'm 5'-10" and could not put the seat in its uppermost position in order to gain thigh support w/o my head touching the headliner.
7.) The shiny plastic strip on the dash, along with the same material in panel-form on the doors has potential. It needs texture and perhaps a CF look.
8.) The seatback release mechanism, located just below the headrest on the back of the seat is awkward to activate.

Please know that I'm NOT trying to bash the Camaro. It is a vehicle that I would very much like to purchase; and by posting this, it is my fervent hope that perhaps GM's people monitor this site and will take note of the issues that we see, as potential customers.
Racerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
PbFoot

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro
The OP's points are valid, and constructive criticism should always be welcomed.. I didn't sense any hostility from his post.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Alot of thought and planning went into this car. Well over 100,000 made this year with most being sold. GM won't be redesigning the interior to satify some people (no hostility intended). Yes there maybe some dislikes with the interior, but all in all I think they did a good job. Afterall, it's a sporty muscle car not a luxury vehicle. Sounds like the Camaro is not the car for you if you really dislike the interior that much. Welcome to the site!! Hang around, the interior might just grow on you, there are also some aftermarket mods that you might find appealing.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Post your concerns here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67037

They might have a better chance of being heard.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Leolee

Drives: camaro
other than not having a nav screen, i love the interior, it was one of my favorites, especially the iom interior that i got, i get lots of complements on the interior
Leolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Enator

Drives: 2011 SHELBY GT500 & Volvo S80
Interior issues make me to look closer to Mustang 2011 too
Enator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
Alot of thought and planning went into this car. Well over 100,000 made this year with most being sold. GM won't be redesigning the interior to satify some people (no hostility intended). Yes there maybe some dislikes with the interior, but all in all I think they did a good job. Afterall, it's a sporty muscle car not a luxury vehicle. Sounds like the Camaro is not the car for you if you really dislike the interior that much. Welcome to the site!! Hang around, the interior might just grow on you, there are also some aftermarket mods that you might find appealing.
+1
xBlackout_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
#5 is really the only thing I agree with; or at least the only one that GM really should consider fixing in the very near future (perhaps even a retroactive fix...)

I also love the steering wheel.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties

Last edited by kdbolt70; 04-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman View Post
So, wanting to like this interior lead me to these impressions of this 2SS in the hopes that they would be addressed by GM:
1.) I felt as if I was sitting in a cave, with sightlines being very poor on all sides & corners.

I agree on this. However, after a short period of time you get used to it and it isn't a problem. Coming from a 135i, it was similar to that so no big change for me.

Totally agree here ..... GM needs to step it up here IMO.
3.) The dashboard was truly cartoonish and, IMHO, could use a complete redesign. The only exception was the 4-gauge cluster on the center console.

I actaully like the dashboard layout in the Camaro .. for me no changes needed.

I love the steering wheel .. I like it almost as much as my 135i steering wheel! .. It was leaps and bounds better than my 04 cobra.

Agree with this ...

6.) The sunroof, necessary to alleviate the dark-cave syndrome, took-up way too much headroom. I'm 5'-10" and could not put the seat in its uppermost position in order to gain thigh support w/o my head touching the headliner.

Unfortuntely this is the same for pretty much any car as far as I know ... Again no sunroof needed .. you will get used to the "CAVE" feeling as you call it .. it is a non issue.
7.) The shiny plastic strip on the dash, along with the same material in panel-form on the doors has potential. It needs texture and perhaps a CF look.

I'm good with this piece .. however I would have liked to see the Ambient Lighting extend to across the dash.
8.) The seatback release mechanism, located just below the headrest on the back of the seat is awkward to activate.

Weird location agreed and takes time to get used to ..
Please know that I'm NOT trying to bash the Camaro. It is a vehicle that I would very much like to purchase; and by posting this, it is my fervent hope that perhaps GM's people monitor this site and will take note of the issues that we see, as potential customers.

Crowley
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Agreed, and I like it...except for rear visibility.
Its cheap because its hard? I dont get it?
What does that mean? I think its the best dash of the big three. You know what car your in even if it doesnt say Camaro.
It grows on you. I hated it at first.
Does there need to be?
Dark cave syndrome? LOL. Anyways yeah Ive heard bad things about head room with the sunroof.
It has potential? LOL its a piece of trim. It either looks good or it doesnt look good.
8.) The seatback release mechanism, located just below the headrest on the back of the seat is awkward to activate
You pull the lever up. Nothing awkward about that. Maybe your from Australia?

Usually mosts peoples first posts are not nit pick fests.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
A lot of that has been addressed here. The seat belt strap also doesn't stay fastened.

That being said, remember that this isn't a $60,000 car. The materials are cheap because more attention has been paid to the mechanics of this car. It isn't as finely finished as a BMW, but this car isn't about the interior to be honest. The leather is decent, and you get used to the sightlines. I'm 5'11, and my head does brush the top of the cabin, but I recline the seat back a little to avoid that. Short passengers will have an issue with not being able to raise the seat.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Raisable passenger seat I agree with. I sold the mustang for a camaro.
In my opinion the camaro is more solid.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Other than the hard plastic I really like the interior of the car. You have to know that its all a matter of preference. For example I actually don't like the weird cheap feeling rubbery materials all the "Luxury" brands use on their dash. It feels like the underside of the work benches I used to use at the labs at school. and I especially like the "Look" of the dash. All criticisms aside this is really one of the most unique dash designs on the market today.
When I first sat in the cat My primary concerns were the sight lines, But honestly after 1 month of ownership I can see all I need out of the car and IM a super short guy (5'5").

I have looked a the 2010 Mustangs and I agree the interiors "feel" more soft but who cares, The mustang interior could be transplanted onto a damn F-150 and no one would know.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
+2
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote