Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #43
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RaceRed 5.0 View Post
The really fast vintage muscle cars were low production big block models (LS6, Hemi, 455 GSX). The vast majority were low/mid 14 sec cars, the rest falling into the 15's. Not taking anything away from them, but that's how it was.

Compare that to every SS or 5.0 today having the big hp engine, and the diff between yesteryear and today becomes apparent. Regarding tuned old muscle, well, that's a two way street.

Tuned SS's and 5.0's will go faster as well.
I've said it before...car guys now are spoiled...right off the showroom floor we can buy cars that will run in the 12s. Really soft cars to drive compared to the muscle cars of old. I think that's the attraction to the old cars....you felt everything the motor was doing....right through the car. I'm glad I did buy a modern muscle car ...but I have always liked the old ones. Maybe one day.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #44
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RaceRed 5.0 View Post
You got that right bro!

If someone buys a new muscle car today and they hear a "rattle", they get upset and bring it back to the dealer. With old muscle cars, rattling was the car's way of telling you that everything was just settling in.

I too would like to get back the '69 390 Mach I had. Anyone want to give me 40k? Anyone?

lol
Oh brother..im afraid once you sell them..they are so hard to replace...i could get a new camaro tomorrow...but try to find me a 71 javelin sst with a 390 in it..that car rattled everywhere. But when you stood on it, and went up the road sideways there was no traction contol to keep you out of the ditch. You drove those cars.....now we just steer them while the computer drives them.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #45
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
my step dad has a 428CJ mustang. I seen a vid of the same engine in a stock mercury doing something like a 12.6. they weren't all slow.

Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #46
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Brings back memories... A buddy of mine that I worked with and I both had 1969 Road Runners - every day after work we'd do burn-outs going out the gate. I'd look in my mirror as see the oil pan of another guy's motorcycle. Didn't take management long to outlaw that, but it was fun while it lasted. Back in the day, those were pretty mean machines!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #47
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Again what I think a lot of people are forgetting is how crappy factory tires were back then. I was just going over these with my dad, and the tires were the first thing he brought up. Hell most of these articles mention that these cars were only on 6 inch wide wheels. My dad just told me a story of when they took his best friends 66 Olds 442 to the track. Bone stock as it came of the showroom floor it was a mid to low 14 second car. they took it back with slicks on it and put it in the low 13s.

But yeah enthusiasts are spoiled today.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote