Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
red&white

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
tune it or not?

I have an SS with exhaust and intake.... How much horesepower should I expect to gain from a tune? I want to know if it is worth spending 500 on a tune. Also does anyone have an idea what the total RWHP would be? Thanks guys
red&white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
06MonteSS_2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
Send a message via AIM to 06MonteSS_2 Send a message via MSN to 06MonteSS_2 Send a message via Yahoo to 06MonteSS_2
$500 ??? no... that's high...

Last edited by 06MonteSS_2; 07-30-2010 at 07:22 AM.
06MonteSS_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
red&white

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
ya thats the going rate up here in nor cal.
red&white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
If you have the A6, then its definitely worth for the transmission portion of the tune.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&white View Post
I have an SS with exhaust and intake.... How much horesepower should I expect to gain from a tune? I want to know if it is worth spending 500 on a tune. Also does anyone have an idea what the total RWHP would be? Thanks guys

Any mods? L99 or LS3?
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&white View Post
It depends on Which intake you have, Some Require NO tuning and Some Need Tuning.

The Exhaust does not play a role in Tuning or Horsepower.

There is typically around 5-10 HP in the Tune but with the torque management it feels like a lot more especially in the lower RPM ranges where you drive most of the time.

A Tune Really Wakes up any combination.

You don't have to spend 500 on a tune, I Provide the tune for free when you buy the hand held tuner from me.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

There is typically around 5-10 HP in the Tune but with the torque management it feels like a lot more especially in the lower RPM ranges where you drive most of the time.

Ted.
Ted, I have a daily driver SS with A6. I am debating with myself about how much torque management to take out when I get a tune and I need a second opinion. I want the firm shifts and as much power available to me as possible without significantly reducing the A6's useful life. I plan to keep this great machine a long time.

So, how much torque management do you set your tunes at, 0.75, 0.5, 0.25, 0.00? Since 1.00 is stock.

What are the trade offs as torque management is reduced?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Ted, I have a daily driver SS with A6. I am debating with myself about how much torque management to take out when I get a tune and I need a second opinion. I want the firm shifts and as much power available to me as possible without significantly reducing the A6's useful life. I plan to keep this great machine a long time.

So, how much torque management do you set your tunes at, 0.75, 0.5, 0.25, 0.00? Since 1.00 is stock.

What are the trade offs as torque management is reduced?
Torque management is either on or off but there are many switches for different reasons and jobs.

Torque management does not make the transmission shift any harder, what it does is Suck the Ignition timing out during shifts to reduce torque the engine produces.

If your in to performance you don't want any timing pulled during shifts or any other events.

Ted.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Torque management is either on or off but there are many switches for different reasons and jobs.

Ted.
Are you refering to the SCT tuner that torque management is only on or off? I know that at least HP Tuners and VMS can set it anywhere between 0% to 100% torque management.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Are you refering to the SCT tuner that torque management is only on or off? I know that at least HP Tuners and VMS can set it anywhere between 0% to 100% torque management.
I would like to see how you came to that conclusion.

It is not like a Sliding rule, where you can move the cursor and select the percentage of torque management.

There are maximum allow torque tables that we can raise or lower for each gear, and that is only once it is in gear not during a transition from one gear to another.

For example 1st through 4th gear is limited to 900 Nm from 500 to 3000 RPM, but 5th and 6th gear are limited to 705 Nm.

This still does not affect how much timing is pulled out during a shift.

We can either allow Trans torque management or not from what I can see.

Ted.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
I want a tune but I don't fully understand it. If I buy a handheld tuner from janetty, do I just give some info about my car and they send me the handheld with a preset tune based off my mods and just plug it into some computer harness in my car? I found an sct tuner that saves your stock tune, can this be used to change back to stock tune and dealers will never know you ever tuned it? I'm partly worried about fully voiding my warranty :\
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
I want a tune but I don't fully understand it. If I buy a handheld tuner from janetty, do I just give some info about my car and they send me the handheld with a preset tune based off my mods and just plug it into some computer harness in my car? I found an sct tuner that saves your stock tune, can this be used to change back to stock tune and dealers will never know you ever tuned it? I'm partly worried about fully voiding my warranty :\
You Purchase an SCT X3 Powerflash, it comes to you BLANK, you connect it to your car and UPLOAD STOCK, which is just a copy of the stock file in the car,You connect the X3 to your computer using the software supplied and GET STOCK FILE, save it to your desktop, then email me the VinNumber.SUL file along with your full name, Address, Phone numbers, Car Year make Model engine transmission and list of mods.

I write your tune and email it back to you, Save your Tunefile.CEF to your desktop, then You connect your X3 to your Computer once again, LOAD CUSTOM TUNE FILE, when finished, Connect to your car and Program with JRE tune, and go have some fun.

The Tuner Saves a copy of your Stock File automatically and you can RETURN TO STOCK anytime you like.

Ted.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
ohhhhhhh Ted you are camaro5's favorite.
ducq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
ohhhhhhh Ted you are camaro5's favorite.
Tang u betti much