Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
567234ta

Drives: 1996 gmc ecsb 408 ci SC 4l80e
clean sweep vs mtx

i had been looking at different options to add aftermarket speakers and amps, the cleansweep looks like a good unit but the guy at the stereo shop says the mtx REQ-5 is the same thing. From what i could tell the MTX unit just cleans the bass signal up mainly. Anyone have any input on these units? my question is will the clean sweep retain my steering wheel controls? this is the mtx site with the specs for it- reqsound.com
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
very big gamble there, I wouldnt do any of them. I tried 2 different ones Alpine PXE-650 and RE-5, both were fail engine noise. I would get Metra Kit ($220 or so from Sonic) + headunit. Dont waste ur time with crap processors, like I said its a gamble unless you pay $800 for the "ripoff" JBL. Again just my opinion, ha ha
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
it really boils down to what you plan on doing...

the OEM integration units have flaws (IMO), there is no doubt about that, at least the ones I have seen (which is most everything but the JBL). Like forcing you to use an external volume control instead of the knob on your stereo - which would delete your volume control on the steering wheel.

Supposedly the JBL unit doesnt do that, but I cant speak to that one as I have never used or seen it in person.

however, for the same (roughly) 800.00 that the JBL costs, you can get a 230.00 Metra kit and a 500.00 or less (the last Kenwood I bought for under 300.00 had TA, BT and a built-in mic for phone) head unit that has time alignment built into it and get the best of everything.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
im thinking of purchasing the re-Q just for my aftermarket amp+Sub to restore any bass caused by bass roll-off (if there is any which was my question in this thread> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102533) and to serve as a LOC. If your looking for something to clean up ur full range I heard the Kicker ZX SUM8 was pretty good and for a decent price.

I think your right about the re-q5 mainly for bass restoration. Personally, if I was adding a good aftermarket sub setup, id probably crossover my speakers so that they wouldnt have to play much bass or maybe even use bass blockers, this way youll save your speakers and get alot crisper mids-highs. In that case the re-Q5 wouldnt be that useful. However some people may argue that you wont have to cut out the bass with aftermarkets, and im not sure if you planning on adding a sub.

Either way, id take a look at the sum8 as it seems more of what you would be looking for, its alot cheeper than the JL, and you would retain your steering wheel controls as it is wired just like the re-Q5.
danrc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
topdown nailed it
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc28 View Post
im thinking of purchasing the re-Q just for my aftermarket amp+Sub to restore any bass caused by bass roll-off (if there is any which was my question in this thread> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102533) and to serve as a LOC. If your looking for something to clean up ur full range I heard the Kicker ZX SUM8 was pretty good and for a decent price.

I think your right about the re-q5 mainly for bass restoration. Personally, if I was adding a good aftermarket sub setup, id probably crossover my speakers so that they wouldnt have to play much bass or maybe even use bass blockers, this way youll save your speakers and get alot crisper mids-highs. In that case the re-Q5 wouldnt be that useful. However some people may argue that you wont have to cut out the bass with aftermarkets, and im not sure if you planning on adding a sub.

Either way, id take a look at the sum8 as it seems more of what you would be looking for, its alot cheeper than the JL, and you would retain your steering wheel controls as it is wired just like the re-Q5.
if your looking for a bass restoration tool, I would look at either getting an LPL for your sub amp or I would look to AudioControl for the Epicenter. If you could find a new Phoenix Gold Bass Cube, that would be an excellent choice as well, they are specific to bass restoration and will do a MUCH better job than a cleansweep or an RE-Q.

IMO, either way, adding one of those (be it the RE-Q or an Epicenter) is just a band-aid to cover the problem, not fix it.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
danrc28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black on Black
This may be a dumb question, but i noticed that the inputs for the bass cube where RCA, while the inputs on the Re-q come straight from the factory HU, do you think you could simply hook up the Bass cube to the output RCAs leaving the re-Q? Ive already purchased a re-q and may be interested to throw in a bass cube to the setup, without having to get rid of my re-q.
danrc28 is offline   Reply With Quote