Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Scrap price question...

I need some advice, and not really sure if this belongs in the general or exhaust forums, but here goes...

I have to scrap two rough condition third generation f bodies. They are no longer acceptable lawn ornaments to the authorities.

I need to junk them, but it's been a bitch getting straight answers from the junk car services on Craigslist. One said "paying at least $300 for all junk cars!" But then he lowered it when I responded.

In the process, if I find somebody taking scrap metal- I also have, and may as well get rid of, my stock cats which have been replaced by Solos.

Any idea the fair value for these items? I am irritated enough to get rid of the cars that I don't want to get ripped off to boot.
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Don't know about MA, but out here on the left coast the value for scrap cars is fairly low, $300 or less I'd say, because there's not much steel in them. They don't want all the plastic and vinyl, cloth, etc junk, and it's a hassle to deal with. You could get $250/gross ton or more if you have real prep steel (6' pieces or smaller), so if you're dropping off a 3k# car of which only a percentage is actual steel you're not gonna see much cash from it. Good luck hope that helps.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Move to Kentucky. A junked 3rd gen in the yard is not just acceptable, it's required!
And 2 really elevates your status in the community! It's heaven!
If you don't believe me, I'll send you a picture of my 3rd gen yard ornament.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
There's a second gen too, but that one will someday rise, lol. You are allowed to keep one unregistered vehicle.
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote