Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
nmalik3000

Drives: 2008 C6 z51 mn6
Blower cam advice, who's running one?

I am running a tvs2300 on top of my ls3 hitting about 8.7psi at peak boost. I also have 1 and 7/8inch american racing headers with high flow cats and a callaway cold air intake. My car put down 578rwhp and 526rwtq with these mods. I am considering adding ECS's small blower cam.
Is anyone running this or any one of ecs's blower cam? How do you like it and how does the car drive? Any surging or bucking at low rpms?

Any idea on how much more power I would make with a good blower cam? I also hear that I would loose some boost with the cam swap? Would it make sense to pulley down a little bit to make some boost back?

Anyone regret doing a blower cam?

Thanks for the input guys!
nmalik3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalik3000 View Post
I am running a tvs2300 on top of my ls3 hitting about 8.7psi at peak boost. I also have 1 and 7/8inch american racing headers with high flow cats and a callaway cold air intake. My car put down 578rwhp and 526rwtq with these mods. I am considering adding ECS's small blower cam.
Is anyone running this or any one of ecs's blower cam? How do you like it and how does the car drive? Any surging or bucking at low rpms?

Any idea on how much more power I would make with a good blower cam? I also hear that I would loose some boost with the cam swap? Would it make sense to pulley down a little bit to make some boost back?

Anyone regret doing a blower cam?

Thanks for the input guys!
Many of us are running blower cams. No regrets. Yes, you will drop a little in boost so you could pulley down. Maybe to a 3.4 and make 10 psi. I'm sure Matt's cam is good but only he can speak about how much power. Have you called. He's a good guy, he'll take care of you. I have a Jannetty blower can. Very happy with it. Works awesome with a Maggie. Car drives like stock with ZERO bucking or surging.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
NoMercy

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Not runnin their cam, but do have Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam and dyno numbers are in my sig. Should give you some idea. Im around 9-10 lbs. of boost. No bucking or surging with this one, drives like stock. You didnt mention anything about your fuel setup. When you install the cam your gonna need a double pump setup or atleast a zl1 pump and bap with bigger injectors.
Magnuson TVS 2300, 16% OD rear pullies(stock 3.8 on front jackshaft), Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, patriot gold double springs, Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtube headers, gutted cats, F.A.S.T. 90lb. injectors, Lonnie's double pumper fuel pump, ZR1 Plugs, Airade cai, HP tuned by East Texas Musclecars. 660 rwhp / 611 rwtq
NoMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
nmalik3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy View Post
Not runnin their cam, but do have Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam and dyno numbers are in my sig. Should give you some idea. Im around 9-10 lbs. of boost. No bucking or surging with this one, drives like stock. You didnt mention anything about your fuel setup. When you install the cam your gonna need a double pump setup or atleast a zl1 pump and bap with bigger injectors.
Thanks for the reply
I have an 08 vette with an ls3 and am running ECS's stage 1 fuel system. I believe they say its good for about 800rwhp...

Is there any additional maintenance that should be done with a blower cam?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Call Total Performance Engineering and talk to them about there blower cam. I have a stock LS3 with these mods. Maggie, 1 7/8 headers, RotoFab, Livernois fuel pump, ATI damper, Total Performance Engineering blower cam 114LSA with 600lift, Maggie has rear OD Cog with a 3.8 front pulley and runs about 9 or just over 9psi at upper RPM limit. Car puts down 665 RWHP and 600 torque. No driving issues but does require a little more RPM at take off and at slow speed driving (parking lot or driveway). My car was tuned by Eric at IPS and my numbers are off a Dynojet. Great cam, hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by tkrupinski; 05-02-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: pic
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
nmalik3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
Call Total Performance Engineering and talk to them about there blower cam. I have a stock LS3 with these mods. Maggie, 1 7/8 headers, RotoFab, Livernois fuel pump, ATI damper, Total Performance Engineering blower cam 114LSA with 600lift, Maggie has rear OD Cog with a 3.8 front pulley and runs about 9 or just over 9psi at upper RPM limit. Car puts down 665 RWHP and 600 torque. No driving issues but does require a little more RPM at take off and at slow speed driving (parking lot or driveway). My car was tuned by Eric at IPS and my numbers are off a Dynojet. Great cam, hope this helps.
Very helpful post, thank you
Awesome power! Those numbers look great!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
NoMercy

Quote:
Our numbers are almost identical!!

tkrupinski- No other maintenance is required. The cam kit should come with all the springs,retainers,and hardened push rods that you will need. Im sure you do anyways, but run a good synthetic oil and it should live a good long life. That vette should fly with 650+ rwhp!!
Magnuson TVS 2300, 16% OD rear pullies(stock 3.8 on front jackshaft), Vector Motorsports 2.5 cam, hardened push rods, titanium retainers, patriot gold double springs, Dynatech 1 7/8 Longtube headers, gutted cats, F.A.S.T. 90lb. injectors, Lonnie's double pumper fuel pump, ZR1 Plugs, Airade cai, HP tuned by East Texas Musclecars. 660 rwhp / 611 rwtq
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Raj, to spin your blower as fast as tkrup and nomercy, you'll need to reverse your rear pulleys and get the same 3.8" front pulley they are running. I'm running a 3.3 front with 1:1 rears. They are running 3.5" pulleys on the back of the counter shaft and 3" on the blower. I'd need to run a 3.25 front to equal them for blower speed. I wish I'd thought of reversing my rear pulleys instead of going with 1:1 rear drive. Bigger front pulley is much less likely to slip. So far, no slip though. 650ish rwhp which is pretty consistant with their numbers.

And yes....those power numbers in a 3200# vette is a whole lot of fun. Hope you're about to find that out
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
You can't go wrong with ECS, great bunch of guys, extremely knowledgeable, and all their kits, cams, etc make serious power. They just finished up another car 806whp with their blower/cam. Crazy power.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy View Post
Our numbers are almost identical!!

tkrupinski- No other maintenance is required. The cam kit should come with all the springs,retainers,and hardened push rods that you will need. Im sure you do anyways, but run a good synthetic oil and it should live a good long life. That vette should fly with 650+ rwhp!!
Nice! You able to hook yours on the street?
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
We off a very nice street style supercharger camshaft. Idle is almost like stock however gives excellant throttle response and great top end power. We have made 600rwhp and 615rwtq with this camshaft. The street manners are as your car is stock.

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
NoMercy

Quote:
Nice! You able to hook yours on the street?
Eh, alot of it depends on the road surface Im on. Seems to hook better on the new concrete roadway's they have here, especially when its warm outside. The Nitto 555R's helped alot! The stock pirellis were useless for anything other than getting sideways from a 60 roll or a good smoke show. How about you?