Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #85
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I never have anybody tailgate me in my camaro thankfully. However, in my Acura, people tend to be douchebags (I drive the speed limit and don't drive slow) and get right on my ass. Probably because it's a Honda If someone wants to tailgate me then I will brake check them(with the exception of being in my camaro) always works.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #86
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
I must admit, I am a recovering tailgater! I started my therapy after finding a bunch of rock chips on my cake icing like painted bumper. Rarely does anyone ever catch up to me on the highway there is that one ass who decides to do it even when I'm speeding in the city traffic. I'll brake check their ass if they don't seem to let off. If that doesn't work I will pull to the side of the road a little and throw rocks on them, not intentionally of course. And yes I agree the best thing to do is just let them pass by you, but they best believe they will get showered with loose gravel on the shoulder.

\uc0\u8236 }

Now that gives a free pass to tailgate, seriously. "Shit or get off the pot!!" Lol
Man, on the loop 101 in Arizona, they're doing a ton of construction. Which means rock chips are at an all time high. People on the freeway aren't bad, so I won't tailgate. But i'll still get rock chips from out of nowhere. And the old people on the city streets drive me crazy. Honestly I think the poor front end of my car is just screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
In my Dad's silverado I feel like I go the same speed limit and people tailgate / cut me off way more often driving the truck than my car at the same speed. Often when people tail gate me I either slow down or step on the brake ;]

But man, the snowbirds right now in Gilbert all think it's polite to drive 35-40 in a 50 zone... LIkE SERIOUSLY!
lol are you sure you're going the same speed in your truck? Being higher up makes you feel like your going faster But dude, trust me, I know that feel. The snowbirds are horrible drivers. i'm hoping that once barrett jackson ends they'll all go home til superbowl.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #87
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
I just keep driving the speed limit and pretend they are not there. Eventually they pass me and sooner or later we meetup at a red light. lol

TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #88
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertwheal View Post
I pull to the next lane and let them pass. No sense in inciting road rage or risking damage to myself or my car.
I agree..
HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #89
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I think some people throw their cigarette out the window as if it were a bomb. Doesn't really work. But at night it looks cool as it lights up and burns out. Kind of weird how I have found cigarette buts in my air intake compartment. Lot's of cigarette buts bouncing down the road.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #90
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Can't believe I read all four pages. Nearly all my driving is done on two lane roads and people are laid back and courteous. Traffic is light to nonexistent, on the interstate most drivers still tend to be courteous, but some of them have bought stock/bonds for purchasing shares on inside lane ownership. I usually find a way to get past these plugs, while frustrating, doesn't mean I make a jerk out of myself.

What does bother me, for safety reasons, are those who tend to drive puddle jumpers up very close to the Camaro's rear bumper. This typically happens downhill on two lane, very twisty mountain roads. The Salt River Canyon road between Globe and Show Low et al comes to mind.

I do the speed limit, but sometimes the Camaro picks a little speed, partly because it's nimble and road worthy. If anything should happen, like wildlife or fallen rocks in the highway, the tailgating vehicle will be unable to stop quickly enough, therefore causing a rearend accident.

One of the ways I've seen work is to drive deep into a curve, paddle shifting down in a switch back turn and throttle up to the speed limit coming out of the turn. This usually results in a ~100 ft space between the vehicles.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #91
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
How do you treat Tailgaters?
I give them a blast of my Corsa / ARH LT combo at WOT. If and when they finally catch up I notice they no longer tailgate.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #92
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
In my younger days, I brake check'em and if that doesnt fix it. I get out at the next light and ask them whats the problem. Now that Im older I dont have a damn thing to prove and dont want my Camaro in a wreck so I usually get out of the way if possible.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #93
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
James Bond knew what to do.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #94
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
James Bond knew what to do.

You know thats right!!
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #95
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think its fun to sit back and watch a tailgater in town on a 4 lane jumping behind whichever lane he thinks is going to be faster. Many times either he will get trapped and end up farther back in traffic than he started out or he will get into a turn lane and all those cars he struggled to get in front of just zooms by.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #96
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertwheal View Post
I pull to the next lane and let them pass. No sense in inciting road rage or risking damage to myself or my car.
This is the correct approach. First, maybe there is a legit reason that they need to get passed me (emergency of some sort). I simply get out of the way as soon as I can. As far as anyone who brake checks people, I so hope you run into someone as stupid as you and he simply slams the back of your car causing you to crash. You are a big f'n moron if you brake check.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #97
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
One of the ways I've seen work is to drive deep into a curve, paddle shifting down in a switch back turn and throttle up to the speed limit coming out of the turn. This usually results in a ~100 ft space between the vehicles.
That has to be the most satisfying way of treating tailgaters I've come across yet.

I've also done the "my windshield's dirty" thing, dropped a couple of wheels off into the slush or water puddle, refused to maintain a steady cruising speed, and short-shifted into 2nd coming off a traffic light.

That's on the street, because I can't trust the skill set of any random person there to be any better than lowest-common-denominator.

On the track at an HPDE where you know that everybody's skills are higher (and generally similar within each run group) I have no problem being crowded inside two car lengths by a faster car or a better driver until it's safe for me to point him by. Even if this involves running at 100 mph through a "no passing zone" bend. Too bad this sort of [track day required] courtesy isn't ever seen on the streets.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #98
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
I never brake check, but I usually give them a chance to back off while I'm going a reasonable speed, if they don't then I slow down to lower than the speed limit. I love having power at my disposal so I can mess with these morons. I've found that having a loud exhaust with pronounced decel pop usually causes them to back off a bit also.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote