Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
What's the price range on IPF/twin turbos?

I called a local dealership who I know does alot of supercharger installs on v8 engines and asked them about IPF. They hadn't heard of it and the shop guy told me after looking at the IPF website it would run at about $10k for everything.

Apart from the novelty of owning a 400hp v6 I just couldn't see spending that much on it. IF I could budget another 10k I would have bought a SS.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Any performance shop should be able to do the IPF SC kit install in less than 2 working days. I was quoted $500 for install and a before and after dyno. This is a straight forward install I did with the performance shop and I know others who have done it themselves.
This is for the SC kit, I saw you mentioned twin turbos, didn't know the even offered that ?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Your dealer is an idiot
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Shop around. That's a lot of shop time to install a kit you could do at home over a weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
Yeh there stupid it's like a 500 dollar install. I did mine im 10 hours one day an 3 hour the next I'm 20 years old with almost no experience in Superchargers. The kit is amazingly mature and solid. I bought my kit used for 3700. 450 for the tune. Twin turbos will run 7900 or so installed
IBM camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM camaro View Post
Yeh there stupid it's like a 500 dollar install. I did mine im 10 hours one day an 3 hour the next I'm 20 years old with almost no experience in Superchargers. The kit is amazingly mature and solid. I bought my kit used for 3700. 450 for the tune. Twin turbos will run 7900 or so installed
Didn't realize you were in Texas. Where exactly?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We do twin turbos installed, tuned, with pillar pod boost guage and wideband A/F turn key for less than you would think for the V6.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Your dealer is out of their mind. Even a speed shop won't charge that much to do the install.
You best bet is either do it your self or get a certified installer by IpF. If you go the second route I believe you can get a warranty !
Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
For just the kit and install, shouldn't cost more than 6,500 to 7,000 would be my guess. Maybe less!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
KMPrenger is correct. Unless you live in AZ, where the kit is distributed, there's no sales tax. Just about anybody who can hold the necessary tools can install the kit, as long as you can read and follow directions. There's no real "heavy lifting" or anything. The IPF kit uses the stock pulleys on the engine, adding theirs and using a longer belt to drive it all. Another type of kit uses a separate drive pulley section to drive a second belt directly to the s/c, however, this means you have to remove/reinstall the crank pulley bolt, which would be the highest toque fastener in the whole assembly, also not that hard if you have air tools.

The directions are broken down into a particular task. Read them ALL before beginning. Look under the hood and identify everything you see in the pictures, make sure you can lay hands on them and get a feel for what you're trying to do with that step. Make sure you have the right tools before you start. It's a bummer if you get all psyched to do this, then find out you need two different Torx bits between removing the fender liner (step 1) and removing/installing the power steering return line fitting. I read the directions completely at least twice before I even started anything. Contrast that to me saying I could probably do a second one in half the time, it's really about knowing what's going to come up, and that eats time the first go-round.

Plus, we're here to help. Go for it.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
KMPrenger is correct. Unless you live in AZ, where the kit is distributed, there's no sales tax. Just about anybody who can hold the necessary tools can install the kit, as long as you can read and follow directions. There's no real "heavy lifting" or anything. The IPF kit uses the stock pulleys on the engine, adding theirs and using a longer belt to drive it all. Another type of kit uses a separate drive pulley section to drive a second belt directly to the s/c, however, this means you have to remove/reinstall the crank pulley bolt, which would be the highest toque fastener in the whole assembly, also not that hard if you have air tools.

The directions are broken down into a particular task. Read them ALL before beginning. Look under the hood and identify everything you see in the pictures, make sure you can lay hands on them and get a feel for what you're trying to do with that step. Make sure you have the right tools before you start. It's a bummer if you get all psyched to do this, then find out you need two different Torx bits between removing the fender liner (step 1) and removing/installing the power steering return line fitting. I read the directions completely at least twice before I even started anything. Contrast that to me saying I could probably do a second one in half the time, it's really about knowing what's going to come up, and that eats time the first go-round.

Plus, we're here to help. Go for it.

John B.

What he said!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
IPF-Tuning

Drives: Camaro, CTS-V, Escalade, GMC Sierra
IPF SC Kit

I agree with Gretch, that's a lot of shop time for a Kit that takes shade tree mechanics 1-1.5 days to install themselves and like John B by himself in a driveway. The kit only retails for $5,895.00 so that's over $4,000 in labor. Most of the IPF installers out there will install the IPF SC Kit for under $1,000.

PM me for more details and I will help you out!

Thanks,

Jesse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
I called a local dealership who I know does alot of supercharger installs on v8 engines and asked them about IPF. They hadn't heard of it and the shop guy told me after looking at the IPF website it would run at about $10k for everything.

Apart from the novelty of owning a 400hp v6 I just couldn't see spending that much on it. IF I could budget another 10k I would have bought a SS.
IPF-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote