Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Wildcherry13

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS IOM 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_142 View Post
I don't get it..
I assume you're trying to get the emission tested in TX.

but why would you think the temp emission inspection done in another state would have any bearing on the inspection in TX. <should just pull the sticker off the car>

Suggest taking it to a local dealer in TX and asking them why your new car doesnt pass.

subscribed

I just assumed I needed to get the inspection done, since it has a temporary one. Just like the registration it has, it expires Nov 29 2013 so I need to get the registration tags by then.
Wildcherry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcherry13 View Post
I just assumed I needed to get the inspection done, since it has a temporary one. Just like the registration it has, it expires Nov 29 2013 so I need to get the registration tags by then.
I would still do as Mike suggested. Take it to the dealer just to make sure everything is OK.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Wildcherry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So you just need to take it to a dealer here and get the not ready indications fixed. Maybe just bad O2 sensors. Then just have them do the inspection as well.

As others have said on a new car it's just visual inspection for 2 years, but you will still want to get the not ready's fixed.

Also, doesn't matter where it's been titled or where it was bought, if you are registering in Texas where you live that's all that counts. That temp sticker doesn't mean anything. Just get a TX inspection and you are good to go.

I guess that's going to be my next option. I didn't know it only had to be a visual inspection for 2 years, but like you said, Id rather get it fixed anyways.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
Wildcherry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
You would think 500 miles would be plenty, but I think it also requires a series of starts that reach full operating temperature.

If nothing else, you may want to buy a reader and check it yourself before heading in for a test.

Where can I find/buy a reader? Can you recommend one? Any specific model//brand?
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Wildcherry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
I don't understand either.
[B][I]

I could find nothing about purchasing out of state. They should just give you a sticker for 2015. Strange.

I wish they would just give me a 2015 sticker!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I wish they would just give me a 2015 sticker!
But you have actually found something wrong with your car and that's the real issue here. A brand new car should be perfect with no problems passing. Time to hit up the dealer.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Wildcherry13

Quote:
But you have actually found something wrong with your car and that's the real issue here. A brand new car should be perfect with no problems passing. Time to hit up the dealer.

I contacted the vehicle emissions department (thanks to you guys) giving me the heads up, I dont need an emissions test only the safety test for the first 2 years! You guys are correct! However like you stated Mlee, Its a NEW car and should be perfect! I am going to dealer A.S.A.P, better safe than sorry! Nothing is actually "failing" just reading not "Ready" so that gives me some hope and peace of mind! Ill keep yall posted!
Thanks for all the feedback and help! You guys and C5 rock!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Where can I find/buy a reader? Can you recommend one? Any specific model//brand?
I shopped at jegs.com and learned about different models. Some read everything and can reset codes. Others read only. Price seems to range based on these features. I bought one for about 150. Only thing I don't like is it needs good lighting to see the LCD. Otherwise worth every penny to check codes and clear them at will. Note that when you clear codes the car has to cycle a few times until everything is ready again.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I contacted the vehicle emissions department (thanks to you guys) giving me the heads up, I dont need an emissions test only the safety test for the first 2 years! You guys are correct! However like you stated Mlee, Its a NEW car and should be perfect! I am going to dealer A.S.A.P, better safe than sorry! Nothing is actually "failing" just reading not "Ready" so that gives me some hope and peace of mind! Ill keep yall posted!
Thanks for all the feedback and help! You guys and C5 rock!
Not ready can simply be codes that are turned off, so yes nothing actually wrong with the car but they need to be operational unless you get Long Tube headers and then the O2 codes will be turned off in the tune. Maybe someone put headers on your car in the first 77 miles and then took them back off without fixing the tune. Probably not but it's possible.

If you need recommendations on dealers around Houston shoot me a PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #24
Wildcherry13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I shopped at jegs.com and learned about different models. Some read everything and can reset codes. Others read only. Price seems to range based on these features. I bought one for about 150. Only thing I don't like is it needs good lighting to see the LCD. Otherwise worth every penny to check codes and clear them at will. Note that when you clear codes the car has to cycle a few times until everything is ready again.

Ill look into it. Im not familiar with any of these readers but Id like to learn. Anything that will give me the advantage to learn about my Camaro the better! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
You may want to talk to the dealer. Typically evap sets in 24-48 hrs and O2 sensors normally set when they go into closed loop.... operating temp. Sounds like there may be a glitch in the GM programming. Have them reflash the ecm and see if that takes care of it.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #26
Wildcherry13

Quote:
Not ready can simply be codes that are turned off, so yes nothing actually wrong with the car but they need to be operational unless you get Long Tube headers and then the O2 codes will be turned off in the tune. Maybe someone put headers on your car in the first 77 miles and then took them back off without fixing the tune. Probably not but it's possible.

If you need recommendations on dealers around Houston shoot me a PM.

LOL, If they did install headers they could've left them in there, I wouldn't have minded.
Thank you for the help! Ill pm you soon! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Ill look into it. Im not familiar with any of these readers but Id like to learn. Anything that will give me the advantage to learn about my Camaro the better! Thanks!
Here's the gadget I bought.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381965582.740847.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  114.9 KB
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
glad i live in ky.don't have to worry about inspections.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote