Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
fuffl

Drives: #3124!!!
I went through at tightened all connections on the motor. The codes it is throwing are "Loss of communication" codes. Sounds like a loose wire, but I haven't been able to locate any. It usually cuts out when i shift fairly hard. Any suggestions on how to investigate an electrical gremlin like this?
fuffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Ok, I am a tech in the heavy truck industry. Trucks also have data links and lots of electrical gremlins. The car is under warranty, so really it is someone else's problem, but you can poke around too. The first thing you need is a complete wire diagram, without one you are wasting all your time, you need to know where to look and which wire is which in any particular connector body. Not all communication wires run in all harnesses or connectors so it is real easy to run a wild goose chase. 90% of wiring gremlins are at an actually connector body, because this is where the weak link is with the connector itself, or the terminals. I am not sure about cars, but with trucks one common problem is simply too many zip-ties. They secure the harness down with too many zip tie and the harness is pulled and stressed too much to the point where it partially disconnecting a connector or pulling a wire out of the terminal. This can happen two ways. First, the harness is tied too tight an causing stress along the length of the harness, or second, the harness is wrapped too tight too close at the end of the harness at the connector body and the outer wires of the connector body are pulled too tight. Another hard problem to find is a weak terminal. The terminal in the connector body that mate to each other are male/female friction fit. There are numerous different types of terminals, but they all make electrical contact with their mate. Sometimes they aren't formed right, mostly the female ones, where they have no friction and are loose so that when the male pin is inserted into the female pin there is little to no electrical contact. To check this you need a trained eye or a test pin to check the fit. From the sound of your problem, it is likely that you have a stressed harness somewhere. With a stressed harness one the terminals, (pins) can get partially pulled out of the body or the wire itself can get pulled right out of the pin. The only way to locate this is to wait till the code is active all the time and isolate the harnesses, or with intermittent problems, you are stuck going connector by connector. It is very rare for a newer car to have a harness rubbed through, even rarer to have a broken wire mid harness.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
magzx12r

Drives: 2017 Dodge Viper
I got the Service Stabilitrak message today after I started my car. The car was running a little rough so I new something was wrong. I called OnStar and they said I had a "misfire" code and "computer lost communication" code. With the car running, I checked the temperature of the headers with a temperature gun and one header was ~ 120 deg F cooler than the other headers. I pulled the spark plug wire and looked at the plug with a mirror. It had (2) hairline cracks running the length of the ceramic section of the plug. I will replace the plug in the morning. Hopefully this solves the problem.

BTW, I have a 2SS M6.
magzx12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #18
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I get the exact same message when I have my dashhawk plugged in and monitoring my IAT and other parameters. Goes away as soon as I unplug it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
magzx12r

Replaced the spark plug this morning and the engine ligth went off and no more Service Stabilitrak message. Hopefully this is the end of it.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
magzx12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
If the engine detects a miss fire you will get a "Service Stabilitrak" warning. One of the things the car does to help you regain control is cut back engine power. If the ECM detects a miss then the engine can't be relied on for the Stabilitrak system to work and that is why you get the warning. It is common to knick or crack or plug when installing headers if you didn't remove them first. If you did remove the plugs then chances are you just have loose plug wire.
My car was tuned prior to this happening. Did the computer reset itself when the "miss" was detected. Do I need to retune?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
HeavyD

No, you will be fine. The miss is just a logged fault code that will now be inactive and ignored. All systems normal, hammer down driver!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
toast
Toast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
New Headers

Yesterday I replaced my entire exhaust system with a Texas Speed system and replaced the factory shifter with an MGW. Both fit well and went in very easily. It was simpler to change out the shifter with no pipes in the way. I had the car on jack stands about 2 feet in the air, laying on my back on a hard concrete garage floor was no fun, but everything went pretty well. After I finished and started the car I got a message to roll down the driver side window. I also got a service stabilitrack message and all the lights on the dash were on. From what I have read in this thread, it would seem that I didn't reconnect a plug wire completely or I damaged a spark plug. I did not remove the plugs to install the new headers. When I drove the car. I got a strange loud sound from the rear of the car. It sounded like some weird braking noise. A thunderous rattle. It happen at the end of the braking cycle, when the car was nearly stopped and when I let off the throttle in gear. I was able to avoid causing the sound until I drove the car a mile or two to where I keep it.

It sounds like the stabilitrack issued may be able to be resolved by fixing my spark plug issues. I also assume that the noise is a result of the stabilitrack freaking out ... but, what is up with the roll the window down and back up thing?

Peace,
Toast
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #23
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Thanks for all the pointers here will check all the spark plug wires and if necessary, spark plugs tomorrow.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
roadstar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I got the "Service Stabilitrak" message on the DIC for the first time 4 days ago. I have no mods and 7500 miles on the car. My message only comes on at startup and then goes away after about 2 or 3 seconds. Car seems to be running fine. No other lights or warnings. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #25
HeavyD

Seems to be a common phenomena. I happens more often when I "flick" the key to start position and don't hold it there until the engine fires. I think what happens is all the separate electronic systems are booting up and doing initial key-on sequences. For some reason the Stabilitrac/ABS system isn't communicating with the rest of car's systems for just a second or two which triggers the warning. Once all the systems are fully on-line the warning goes out. No fault is logged or code stored because it really isn't a problem. I wouldn't worry about it, I have seen my car do this before from time to time, only at start up. If I hold the key in the start position and keep it there until the engine is fully fired I hardly ever see that warning. If the warning comes on any other time and stays on, you should get it checked out. If there were problems your monthly Onstar email would alert you to that too!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
roadstar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Thanks for the info Heavy D. The dealer tells me that it is something in my steering column wiring. They had a heck of a time talking to my car. I guess it is a problem with the GM diagnostic program. They finally did communicate though and said they would take care of it today.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
Keiver

Drives: 2010 SS-L99 with KB supercharger
Thisw error happened to mealso after my exhaust guy installed the long tube headers. It seems my guy need to disconnect some steering function to get the pipes on. This causes the error lights and need for a re-calibration of the steering sensor ...
Keiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
vart

Drives: 2010 2SS
same, but more to it...

I had the service stabilitrack and service parking assist both go on last week. I made an appt with the dealer, but it went off before I got in. I still went and basically they said that the diagnostics didn't tell them much. Last night it happened again and now the dash won't show the gear i'm in. No "D" if in drive, and no gears when in M. It also seems to be stuck in 3rd gear. My paddles don't work either. One more weird anomaly is that the car started won't work either. I am guessing that is because the car doesn't sense what gear it is in (including park), so it won't allow a remote start.

I called the dealer again, but now they can't get me in until next Monday. I have highway driving to and from work which sucks because I can't go over 4000 rpms or 100 km/h. The car just shuts down at that point. From reading the other posts I am leaning towards a misfire issue.

I am heading out to the garage to check all wires and connections that I can. Hope I find something, because I don't want to keep getting passed on the highway by Kias and Saturns.

PS- I just joined today and am looking forward to future help from, and discussions with, all of you.

Vart
vart is offline   Reply With Quote