Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #197
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
All the time yes. This example was just for the plain fact that it was a Dyno Tune Result that any LFX customer...regardless of modifications.....would be able to compare and see with their own eyes.

The ability see see the gains after the speed cutout was lifted and the gains under the curve with just a tune.
Gotcha.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #198
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Are there correction factors for altitude, or no? I know corrections are applied, but am not familiar with what they correct for.
Gearing not being 1:1? Temperature? Not sure.
All the Dynojets have a "weather station" stack that takes in Temperature, Humidity, Altitude and Barometric Pressure. Based on the conditions it "corrects" the uncorrected results by a factor.

Usually at our altitude and normal temp, it's around 1.18-1.20. What's really nice is that we can go back to any result, and change the Correction Factor (CF) to "UNCORRECTED" and it will show whatever the tru number is without any correction to it at all.

We can do this live or go back to any dyno .drf file at anytime when a car or truck has been on the rollers.

If that helps understand it more....hopefully.
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #199
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
All the Dynojets have a "weather station" stack that takes in Temperature, Humidity, Altitude and Barometric Pressure. Based on the conditions it "corrects" the uncorrected results by a factor.

Usually at our altitude and normal temp, it's around 1.18-1.20. What's really nice is that we can go back to any result, and change the Correction Factor (CF) to "UNCORRECTED" and it will show whatever the tru number is without any correction to it at all.

We can do this live or go back to any dyno .drf file at anytime when a car or truck has been on the rollers.

If that helps understand it more....hopefully.
Yes it does, thank you.

Looking at that graph some more, what's really impressive is the torque gains. Looks like you were averaging around 20 ft-lbs over baseline in the lower RPM range. Very nice.

EDIT: Did the math wrong...probably closer to 15 ft-lbs gain average, but still nice.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #200
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Yes it does, thank you.

Looking at that graph some more, what's really impressive is the torque gains. Looks like you were averaging around 20 ft-lbs over baseline in the lower RPM range. Very nice.
Dynos are one of those things that folks rarely talk about unfortunately. Same with tuning. I've experieced tuners that hold every secret close to their vests thinking that somebody is going to "steal" their thunder or something. LOL Really funny stuff.

While tuning a car can be quite complex, it doesn't have to.

At the beginning and end of the day, tuning a car is accomplished for one thing. To allow all the fine parts that are put into the engine and transmission to be able to relate to each other in their best capacity so that they can make harmonious ruckus together resulting in extreme gains in torque and horsepower.

That's really it. There is no rocket science to it unless you want to make it complicated. (But why?) Tuning and running a Dyno can be tedious at times yes....lots of moving parts, numbers, what ifs and all that stuff.

It's a shame that more folks don't openly talk about tuning, operating a dyno, etc.

We probably woulda started doing this 20 years ago had somebody come along and showed us a little bit of something.

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #201
Tannerl22
A/C Off

Drives: 2014 RS/LS3
These dynos seem really low. I thought an LFX was suppose to be getting like 323?
Tannerl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #202
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerl22 View Post
These dynos seem really low. I thought an LFX was suppose to be getting like 323?
Crank horsepower. That's straight off the output shaft of the engine. This is wheel horsepower, after all the losses of mechanical transfer and heat through the transmission, differential, varying wheels etc.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #203
Tannerl22
A/C Off

Drives: 2014 RS/LS3
So when a cold air intake says it will add 16 rwhp that's more 16 crank horsepower?
Tannerl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #204
DSX_Camaro

No, that's wheel horsepower, but on a stock vehicle and all else equal.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #205
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannerl22 View Post

That's to the crank.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #206
walter78

Drives: 2013 RS (2LT) CRT w/ Blk Rally Strp
Talking Just had my 2013 2LT RS dyno today

My only mod is CAI cold air! Done, hood down, Automatic in manual mode, all traction controls turned off, 4th gear. Topped at 155Mph.

Type and make of dyno: DC-1800sz-SE Trailer
ODO at the time of the dyno: 4,080
Temperature: 76*
Manual/auto: Auto 6-speed
Gear used(3rd or 4th): 4th
Modifications: Cold Air Inductions' cold air intake. Otherwise stock.
Correction used(STD or SAE): SAE J1349
Result: 245.8 hp / 249 tq

Last edited by walter78; 10-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.
walter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #207
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter78 View Post
My only mod is CAI cold air! Done, hood down, Automatic in manual mode, all traction controls turned off, 4th gear. Topped at 155Mph.

Wow you ran 155 in 4th gear? I figured you'd at least have to be in 5th.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #208
walter78

Drives: 2013 RS (2LT) CRT w/ Blk Rally Strp
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
Wow you ran 155 in 4th gear? I figured you'd at least have to be in 5th.
Nope, That is confimed by the speedometer and recored by the on board computer. (I have a tracking module plugged into the diag port).

I have ran it on the road up to 142, but had to back off because I ran out of straigt road.
walter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #209
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter78 View Post
Nope, That is confimed by the speedometer and recored by the on board computer. (I have a tracking module plugged into the diag port).

I have ran it on the road up to 142, but had to back off because I ran out of straigt road.
How did your car stay in 4th without being tuned? Thought the 2Ls wouldnt do that unless unless you had the Hp Tune. To put you in sportsmode.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #210
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA BEE View Post
How did your car stay in 4th without being tuned? Thought the 2Ls wouldnt do that unless unless you had the Hp Tune. To put you in sportsmode.
He has a 2LT with the RS package.

Interesting to note: The automatic V6s have a 1.16 4th gear as opposed to the manual's 1.19 4th gear. A manual V6 will top out before 155, while an automatic V6 in 4th will hit 160 at 7k rpm.