Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #281
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
I did the install. I didn't get a chance to finish it though. I didn't connect the X2 and I didn't hook up the Bair wire for the plug that has the green and white wire.ran out of time.the Bair wire broke in the connector that plugs in the radio. And the X2 was killing me. I hooked up the radio to see if everything works and from what I see . everything works other than the voice control. I'll try again later next week when I have time.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #282
rcktftbl72

Drives: formerly a 2012 2SS/RS CRT :-(
I have a question related to the install for anyone else who decided to move the backup camera feed on a 2012: Is the frameless mirror just a plug and play? All I got with my MyLink kit was the mirror in a separate box.
rcktftbl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #283
JAustin

Drives: (sold) 2011 2LT/RS auto, SW/tan top
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopo562 View Post
I talked to ofer this week on my issue with the mylink not powering on. I can hear static from radio and the flashers come on but no screen or faceplate lighting. The faceplate was bought new. oh and I tripled check all wires and have power coming off of white amp wire. So question, is my faceplate getting power by the hazards coming on or are the hazards powered on by another source? And any suggestions would be helpful in the mean time. Thanks
We're in (almost) the same boat. My radio, HVAC controls, emergency flashers and backlight all work ... but nothing coming up on the touchscreen. I'm also awaiting a solution from Ofer. He said there are four or five of us with the same (no touchscreen) issue. I'm tempted to put the car back together with the original equipment until this gets worked out ... too many pieces & parts scattered around the garage.
JAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #284
flopo562

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT, 1976 Pontiac Trans Am
Ya he told me to wait a couple of days for a solution. I say we return the radio for a newly programmed one. It seems most guys have working units so we "lucky" few just have a bad programmed one.
flopo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #285
JAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopo562 View Post
Ya he told me to wait a couple of days for a solution. I say we return the radio for a newly programmed one. It seems most guys have working units so we "lucky" few just have a bad programmed one.
I hope that an incorrectly programmed head unit is all that the problem is ... easily rectified in that case. Ofer has someone investigating what signal / voltage that tapped white wire is supposed to have, so it seems he's looking in another direction.

It's a little disconcerting to consider that some of the radios might have been programmed incorrectly. But with at least 24 combinations of attributes (3 model years x 2 body styles x 2 stereo configurations (BA / non-BA) x 2 navigation options (Nav / non-Nav)), it would be understandable how that could happen. And it might explain some of the early issues those who have successfully installed are experiencing.

I would just like to find out this week -- if at all possible -- whether it's going to be a short turnaround or a long wait for the fix, so I can decide whether to put my car back together or not. It's been disassembled for 8 days now.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #286
DWALEX

Drives: Currently 2016-2SS, Future ZL1/Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
I hope that an incorrectly programmed head unit is all that the problem is ... easily rectified in that case. Ofer has someone investigating what signal / voltage that tapped white wire is supposed to have, so it seems he's looking in another direction.

It's a little disconcerting to consider that some of the radios might have been programmed incorrectly. But with at least 24 combinations of attributes (3 model years x 2 body styles x 2 stereo configurations (BA / non-BA) x 2 navigation options (Nav / non-Nav)), it would be understandable how that could happen. And it might explain some of the early issues those who have successfully installed are experiencing.

I would just like to find out this week -- if at all possible -- whether it's going to be a short turnaround or a long wait for the fix, so I can decide whether to put my car back together or not. It's been disassembled for 8 days now.
I agree. every car has it's own proper way to be programmed
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #287
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Wow, After reading all through this thread you guys have Me wondering if its really worth it or not. I don't want any issues once the install is complete and I would like All the functions to work flawlessly.

Knowing what you know now if you all had to do it over would you?

Last edited by Rainbow1616; 06-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #288
IROC U

Drives: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z; 2012 Camaro ZL1
I had sort of a difficult install. But after viewing the finished product it is well worth the effort and time.
IROC U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #289
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Wow, After reading all through this thread you guys have Me wondering if its really worth it or not. I don't want any issues once the install is complete and I would like All the functions to work flawlessly.

I love the unit to be honest. So I would. I took a chance on mine too because I bought my unit without knowing if it could be programmed.

My part number was for 2014

Gen5DIY at the time only confirmed 2013 units.

Install/Uninstall only gets easier.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #290
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Thumbs up

I did my install in like 2-3 hrs. No issue with system. When you do custom install to cars sometimes you will have issues. I got to say if you do have issues just get in touch with Gen5 they will help you out.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #291
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Thank You for your Honest Answers
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #292
JAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
It's probably not fair for me to answer right now, since I'm frustrated with the problems and delays. (But I will, anyway.)

The install itself is fairly straightforward with the right tools and experience; I was humming along, taking my time, and -- although I wasted about an hour with the difficult install of the pins into the OnStar module connector -- I was only about 4 hours in when I attempted the first power up of the faceplate. When that failed, I wasted a couple more hours removing, rechecking and reinstalling without success, before giving up and calling it quits for the night.

The next day, I started the information exchange with Ofer, who has been great. I sent photos, provided information, etc., and I know he's diligently trying to identify the root cause and provide a solution.

But if I had to do it all over again, I might have decided to wait a few months until they got all the bugs worked out. The pre-release group buy was just too tempting, but there's a risk to living on the bleeding edge.

I'm very happy for everyone who's experienced a successful install, and grateful that this isn't my daily driver. But I'm very tempted to reinstall the original head unit / faceplate, so I can drive it again while waiting for a solution to the faceplate issue.

Last edited by JAustin; 06-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #293
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
It's probably not fair for me to answer right now, since I'm frustrated with the problems and delays. (But I will, anyway.)

The install itself is fairly straightforward with the right tools and experience; I was humming along, taking my time, and -- although I wasted about an hour with the difficult install of the pins into the OnStar module connector -- I was only about 4 hours in when I attempted the first power up of the faceplate. When that failed, I wasted a couple more hours removing, rechecking and reinstalling without success, before giving up and calling it quits for the night.

The next day, I started the information exchange with Ofer, who has been great. I sent photos, provided information, etc., and I know he's diligently trying to identify the root cause and provide a solution.

But if I had to do it all over again, I might have decided to wait a few months until they got all the bugs worked out. The pre-release group buy was just too tempting, but there's a risk to living on the bleeding edge.

I'm very happy for everyone who's experienced a successful install, and grateful that this isn't my daily driver. But I'm very tempted to reinstall the original head unit / faceplate, so I can drive it again while waiting for a solution to the faceplate issue.

This may have been brought up already and I apologize if it has.
It sure would be nice if you could test the faceplate with a different head unit. At least you'd know it's working properly. My bet is that the head unit is the problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #294
JAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
This may have been brought up already and I apologize if it has.
It sure would be nice if you could test the faceplate with a different head unit. At least you'd know it's working properly. My bet is that the head unit is the problem.
That's certainly a possibility. It would be great if Ofer would ship another head unit to me to test this, but I'm waiting for him to chase down his current line of inquiry.