Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
So...the L76...

I want to discuss this motor a little more...and perhaps our favorite Powertrain guy can chime in.

I've read just today that the L76 is an Australian-only engine. G8 = built in Australia, so it makes sense. Meaning it won't be going into the Camaro. Instead we'd do better to look for an "updated" version of the LS3 (i.e. AFM, slightly lower hp, etc).

Does anybody know anything further, or more concrete about this? (cough)3whiterag(cough)
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
I don't know about that. isn't the G8 production supposed to move to the US after a year or 2?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If we can get into this game with 400+ horsepower, I think that is really respectable. Assuming the weight of the car remains close to what's been speculated on here, I'd think it would have a really good chance at at least keeping up with the SRT8-model Mopars, and be a good amount in front of the Mustang GTs. Aren't the L92 and L76 heads pretty close to the same thing? I understand the intake for the L92 is for the truck and L76 the equivalent for a passenger car but it seems like the differences between the LS3 and L76 are mostly PCM tuning and camshafts. This is just from what I've been able to remember reading about from magazines and what-not.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
So...that makes complete sense to me. If the L76 is right now only being built in the land down under, then that does make sense....that we would get the LS3. I won't be dissapointed w/ the L76 at all...seeing the potential in it to make a lot more ponies. But, this makes it sound like we could in fact see the LS3 for production. Good catch, Dragon!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ya' know, for some reason I've been thinking that this motor was something altogether different, but after getting my facts straight, this motor is a really good thing. Those heads are sweet and intake pretty good.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Actually, the L76 is made in: Silao, Mexico. Check out this chart with all GM engines!

The GM Engine Guide http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Engine_Guide
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I wouldn't be surprised by anything. The L76 is a great engine. One thing that I thought of regarding 3Whiterag. Unless he keeps tabs on everything going on with other GM engine plants, he wouldn't be have a whole lot to say regarding the L76. Then again, he wouldn't be able to say much about the engines that go into the Camaro anyway.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I don't know about that. isn't the G8 production supposed to move to the US after a year or 2?
No, I think that was denied a short while back. Since the only things separating the G8 from its sister cars for other markets are a few body panels, badging, and region specific stuff (RHD/LHD, taillights, etc) it is probably easiest to build them all in the same factory and ship them out.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:
They were going to expand it to Oshawa, but that was before 2020 CAFE.

Now Oshawa isn't as happy because GM has been forced to curtail expanded rear wheel drive production for the moment.

Thank goodness the Camaro made it through.

And, things can all change back too. Maybe we should pressure Congress to back off on CAFE 2020.

Also GM says with the exchange rate the way it is they are going to limit how many vehicles (incl. G8) are imported, to preserve profitability.

Then again, if they have people beating their doors down for Zeta cars including the new Camaro (The G8 is exceeding all of GM's expections), things could change.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
That doesn't seem to make much financial sense. With the Oz dollar much stronger than ours it seems like GM would take it in the shorts importing it instead of making it here.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Slave One

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Only downside I see so far to the L76 is that the addition of AFM means no Manual tranny option...
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
That doesn't seem to make much financial sense. With the Oz dollar much stronger than ours it seems like GM would take it in the shorts importing it instead of making it here.
Thier dollar isn't that much stronger than ours, is it? I think that's why they chose to import it...as of right now, the costs are similar. So I read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave One View Post
Only downside I see so far to the L76 is that the addition of AFM means no Manual tranny option...
Does it? GM's response to all the manny-tranny beggers out there is that it would have cost too much to validate the manual transmission AND the auto, when the vast majority of buyers would probably opt for auto. I don't remember then saying anything about AFM.

The Camaro's supposed to be AFM, and the option of manual or automatic...and somehow, I don't think they'll offer an AFM delete for the manual.

ps, I could be completely wrong, but that's why we like our Powertrain guys here.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
But the cost of setting up a duplicate factory won't be cheap. The best alternative is Oshawa, but you would still need to import it from Canada anyway. Also, the plans were made well before your dollar took its hit.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Slave One

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
"No L76 manual trans as in current trucks and G8 GT. AFM can be felt changing modes without a torque converter to asborb the slight shock. That's why all manual trans for trucks were canceled as soon as AFM arrived. "

Quoted from Camaro5 from another thread in this group... "2010 Camaro Engine Line-Up Guess"
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote