Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Replacing Front Speakers?

Is there a simple, "plug and play" opportunity to swap out the front speakers? Taking door panels out this weekend, and will be dynamatting the door, and figured while I'm at it, let's upgrade the speakers.

So two questions...

1. Speakers you recommend?
2. Is there a plug and play way to do this? ********? Or can I simply remove and replace?
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGMHR634-20...8ebf04&vxp=mtr

here's the speaker adapter and wire adapter, I know it shows a truck but anything GM 2006 and up has the same mounting style for front door speakers and plugs. SO this is what I used. As far as speakers go i'd go with a good FUll range or if you want to be a bit cheaper go with a midrange set for the front.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGMHR634-20...8ebf04&vxp=mtr

here's the speaker adapter and wire adapter, I know it shows a truck but anything GM 2006 and up has the same mounting style for front door speakers and plugs. SO this is what I used. As far as speakers go i'd go with a good FUll range or if you want to be a bit cheaper go with a midrange set for the front.

Thanks so buy this and then wire the speakers up to this?

Will have to look for some 6.5"s now!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Bump - anyone?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
Bump - anyone?
Buying 6.5" speakers will not fit your car 100%.
You'll need speaker adapter.

If you shop at Crutchfield, they provide the adapters for free.
They would provide you installation card should you need professional help.

http://www.crutchfield.com/
VeeGeeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

Hmm I'll have to look there is that option for adapter at checkout or what?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
cmoney89

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS IOM
When you add it to the cart it usually asks you what car you have if you already haven't put it in when doing the search. I have the JL C5 component speakers and they are awesome, the best speakers I have ever owned. Something like JL, Focal, Hybrid Audio are good ones. Don't cheap out or you won't be happy. I've had alpine type s, Pioneer and kicker and was never really that impressesed. You'll also need an amp to fully take advantage of any speakers you buy. ******** sells the FARK which makes switching out the factory amp a breeze and he sells the door speaker adapters and hybrid audio speakers as well. Just depends on how much you wanna spend. Basically anything will be a bit better then stock
cmoney89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS

I already have the fark and a RF 750w amp powering two 12" subs. How does that effect this?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Quote:
I already have the fark and a RF 750w amp powering two 12" subs. How does that effect this?
The FARK is only a wiring kit for you to add subwoofer in your vehicle.
If you're changing out the factory front speakers, you'll need an adapter to mount it to your door.

Crutchfield will offer that adapter for free and automatically include it into your order for front speakers.

When you first visit the website, they will ask you which vehicle you own.
Put in the Make, Model, Year, and Trim.

If you have money to blow, Rockford speakers are the choice to be.
If you're more conservative with your money, you can buy the brand listed above or go for Kenwood/Pioneer.

For rear speakers, center speakers and Tweeter. You'll have to do some DIY fitting of your own. Rear speakers usually have adapter if you buy 6.5" instead of the 6x9 oval speakers.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGeeTea View Post
The FARK is only a wiring kit for you to add subwoofer in your vehicle.
If you're changing out the factory front speakers, you'll need an adapter to mount it to your door.
Not completely accurate. Our Fark (Factor Amp Replacment Kit) is an interface kit that allows you to change out the factory amp to aftermarket without cutting the wiring. It interfaces both the inputs and outputs at the amp as well as converts the bi-amp'd rear 6x9s to single channel separates if you will.

We do have a plug n play harness for just adding a sub (item 5g-x3rca and commonly referred to as the x3 harness or pnp harness). It is essentially the input harness that we use in our fark. In other words think of it as adding rca jacks so you can add a sub.

Now if you plan to change out the front speakers, a bit of warning. It is highly recommended to change out your amp first. If not, you are replacing 2ohm speakers with 4ohm speakers, which reduces the wattage and ultimately reduces the sound. By changing out the amp first, you can power 4ohm speakers without reduction of power. You also have a multitude of control over those speakers with an aftermarket amp versus leaving the factor amp. As you know, with the boston amp in place, the only settings really are base, treble, mid, balance and fader. Aftermarket amps allow you to set gain levels independent of the rear as well as crossover points, which is crucial for setting up a high quality sound stage.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

We all know your wiring kit can do the below.
As per his original question, he was seeking help with his front door speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Not completely accurate. Our Fark (Factor Amp Replacment Kit) is an interface kit that allows you to change out the factory amp to aftermarket without cutting the wiring. It interfaces both the inputs and outputs at the amp as well as converts the bi-amp'd rear 6x9s to single channel separates if you will.

We do have a plug n play harness for just adding a sub (item 5g-x3rca and commonly referred to as the x3 harness or pnp harness). It is essentially the input harness that we use in our fark. In other words think of it as adding rca jacks so you can add a sub.

Now if you plan to change out the front speakers, a bit of warning. It is highly recommended to change out your amp first. If not, you are replacing 2ohm speakers with 4ohm speakers, which reduces the wattage and ultimately reduces the sound. By changing out the amp first, you can power 4ohm speakers without reduction of power. You also have a multitude of control over those speakers with an aftermarket amp versus leaving the factor amp. As you know, with the boston amp in place, the only settings really are base, treble, mid, balance and fader. Aftermarket amps allow you to set gain levels independent of the rear as well as crossover points, which is crucial for setting up a high quality sound stage.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Then why did you mis-inform? I get emails everday of guys wanting to add a sub and they think they need a Fark. Just trying to clarify. And I did offer my advice on the question at hand.

My opinion is that I would not change the speakers unless I did the amp first. You are asking for trouble. You also need to be careful on the type of adapters that are out there. Some are cheap flat plates and don't work too well. You need a raised style that mimics the factory ones. The factory pods are about 2" tall above the face of the door. Installing a flat plate in combination with a deeper aftermarket speaker can be dangerous. Have never done this myself, but I have heard of guys busting their windows because it came down and hit the speaker magnet. I usally install with the window down in order to check clearances. Not sure what ones crutchfield sells but I imagine they are on the cheaper side if they give them away free. The ones I see on that ebay add are on the thinner side too so be cautious. We make our own raised style plates where you can select the exact cutout rather than using tabs and adapter shims. Some ppl have a hang-up with mdf, so we also offer the metra brand adapters. They have a taller pod which is similar to the factory style and seem to work really well.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #13
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

According to the to what he originally wrote @Steve
He wants to know if there is a simple way to replace his FRONT SPEAKERS.
He wanted to know the speakers to purchase.
He wanted to know if there are any harnesses for the FRONT SPEAKERS.
He wanted to know whether he would need to purchase an adapter for the FRONT SPEAKERS.

We're not denying that your FARK HARNESS allows people to easily connect aftermarket AMP and SUB. We're only indicating that this person wanted to change out his FRONT SPEAKERS while in the process of working with your products.

Quote:
Replacing Front Speakers?
Is there a simple, "plug and play" opportunity to swap out the front speakers? Taking door panels out this weekend, and will be dynamatting the door, and figured while I'm at it, let's upgrade the speakers.

So two questions...

1. Speakers you recommend?
2. Is there a plug and play way to do this? ********? Or can I simply remove and replace?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

It's a loaded question IMO and my answer is more complex than yes or no. Yes it's very easy to change the speakers. Cut and dry with some adapters and a pigtail. However, if you to do that you might end up worse off or with very little improvement. My recommendation is to do the amp first because the speakers aren't the biggest part of the problem. From my experience, guys see more improvement with getting rid of the boston amp than keeping it and just swapping speakers.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 10-29-2014 at 02:48 PM.