Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #43
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
As a GM tech that does the re-ring for excessive oil consumption, most all are caused by breaking it in too easy. Rings never seat, glaze forms on cylinder walls, then the rings can no longer finish seating properly. They must be able to penetrate the lubrication barrier in those fist few hundred miles, and that rarely happens (some do fine though) if babied.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #44
BUNNY15

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS 6M ~~ LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Engine break in procedure is an often debated topic. Below is a copy of the recommended procedure recommends for GM Performance crate engines.
1. What about the break-in procedure after a new cam install, same procedures?

2. How about using Royal Purple Break-In Oil, any advice?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #45
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNY15 View Post
1. What about the break-in procedure after a new cam install, same procedures?

2. How about using Royal Purple Break-In Oil, any advice?
I would do whatever the cam manufacturer recommends.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #46
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Old flat tappet cams needed to be run at 2500 RPM at first start up for 20 minutes to break in, but today's rollers don't have much in the way of break-in. Just make sure to use camshaft assy lube when installing and follow manufacturer's instructions.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #47
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I would do whatever the cam manufacturer recommends.
They tend to be pretty close to what is recommended at the beginning of the thread but that is absolutely right. Follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #48
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Isn't "manufacturers recommendations" what we are debating? Chevy says it one way in manual, GM Performance says it another way!
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #49
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
Isn't "manufacturers recommendations" what we are debating? Chevy says it one way in manual, GM Performance says it another way!
We were discussing break in after a new CAM. I was saying to do it however the CAM manufacturer recommends but that they usually recommend something pretty close to what the GM Performance guidelines call for.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #50
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
Apples and oranges.

When buying a new car, the engine was run at the engine plant. Then run again at the vehicle assembly plant through the DVT roller test. Then driven around at the plant lot. Driven around by various truck and train shippers. Driven around by the dealer on their lot parking the car.... It's had many run cycles by the time you get that vehicle.

Buy a GMPP engine. It's green brand new fresh engine. A green engine requires a different break in. Needs a few start and light load warms ups...heat cycles. Then start putting more power to it as it breaks in.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #51
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Check out this recent article. Glad I changed my oil at 500 miles.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-98918.html
Old 10-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #52
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Check out this recent article. Glad I changed my oil at 500 miles.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-98918.html
It is a very good idea. Obviously there are going to be high levels of crap in the oil during break in and you don't want it floating around for 3000 miles or more.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #53
Joe Roe

Drives: 2015 LT automatic
I did the 4k rpm break-in today. I left it in second gear and ran it up to 4k then let off and then back up to 4k...about 10 times. I took it home, pulled it in the garage, popped the hood and she smelled like all the paint was burning off inside the engine compartment. I changed the oil and poured the used oil through a white 1 micron bag filter. After seeing what was left in the bag, I was glad I was changing the oil at 500 miles and not waiting until 3000 miles.
Joe Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #54
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Roe View Post
I did the 4k rpm break-in today. I left it in second gear and ran it up to 4k then let off and then back up to 4k...about 10 times. I took it home, pulled it in the garage, popped the hood and she smelled like all the paint was burning off inside the engine compartment. I changed the oil and poured the used oil through a white 1 micron bag filter. After seeing what was left in the bag, I was glad I was changing the oil at 500 miles and not waiting until 3000 miles.
I wish you would have taken a picture. That would have been interesting.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #55
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
So, what is the best way to prime the LS3? My cars in hibernation right now and I'm already thinking towards spring when I'll start it up and hear that sweet cam again.

I want to prime the oil system as per the break-in sheet and would definitely appreciate advice on how best to do this. Previous years, I've done the fuel pump fuse pull, but the car will still run a bit on the gas in the lines. Now that I've got a hot cam in, I'd really like to do a true oil priming without fuel & ignition.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM

Last edited by Avalnch; 12-08-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #56
Apex Motorsports

Pulling the fuel lines/plugs/coil packs and turn the key for 5 seconds a few times is a common method. You could also invest in a pre-oiler.

Tags
break in, engine break in