Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #85
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
ok... here is a pic taken today... judge for yourself but i still need REAL ideas.
so i dont like this one thing about my car and it CAN be changed... at least im not griping about something REALLY USEFUL like ABL! gimme a break.
BTW - ABL is ultra cool.

just for everyone who keeps saying lower the seat and raise the mirror:
the seat is LOWERED and laid back some, the mirror is RAISED (including removing the plastic wire cover, which buy you maybe 1/8").
believe it or not this picture is NOT doctored in any way. I took it while SITTING still with my iphone up against my face with my head on the headrest.
(my line of sight is about an inch below the tint line)

tada: (no need to criticize my photography, i know i stink)
Attached Images

that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #86
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Hey, I'm in your neck of the woods.

Please PM me if you want, and we can meet for a bit so I can look over how you have things adjusted. Maybe I can then understand the problem you are having better, and offer some insight, and/or better detailed feedback for the forum.

It's an old saying, but sometimes a second set of eyes can see something the first one didn't!

I will help in any way I can, if you'd like. Otherwise, I am sorry, I do not understand the issue that you have described.

I am glad you avoided the accident!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #87
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
"That darn Prius just popped out from behind that mirror like the Starship Enterprise coming out of warp…"

MIRROR = BLIND SPOT
Have you looked behind the mirror? It is all black, the glass is covered in it behind the mirror. So basically you need a new mirror and a custom made windshield.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #88
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
First and foremost, the Camaro is a sports car. It is a remarkable machine. It's function is more along the lines of performance than luxury, making it someone difficult in certain categories. To get that sleek appearance, GM sacrificed a lot of visibility. Like many sports cars, there is room for customization. If you have a problem with a component, GM won't help you. They've already built your car. Seek help in the aftermarket. Find a custom shop and buy a replacement mirror. It really isn't that hard. Have your OnStar button wired to a separate button panel that you can install anywhere in the car. It's really not that hard. It isn't even that expensive. If you can afford a 2010 Camaro, gas, insurance, and all the mods we've been discussing on these boards, then you can afford to replace your mirror and rewire your OnStar button. It isn't that hard. Show us pictures when you're done, and maybe document the process using an instructional, or "how-to," thread to do it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #89
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
Wow, that is pretty bad. This is even worse than the Chrysler 300 I currently have (trading it in on the Camaro if it ever arrives :o) and the absolute worst scenario for me is turning right on a highway on ramp that is slightly inclined...you have to lean forward and look around the mirror. My wife really complained and didn't like driving it for this very reason. It just seems that the mirror needs to be a bit smaller.

Kevin
kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #90
cshaw2049

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT / RS M6 ABM
It's kind of funny. I have the same problem .... in you guessed it, my Prius. Just had to learn to move head left and right at a four way stop to make sure I looked behind the blind spot caused by the mirror. It is a pain though but you learn to adapt.
cshaw2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #91
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Well, maybe I am channeling "The 'Father!" -- but I do remember someone saying something about how they had to compromise the dimensions and spacing in the interior to accomodate the nearly "exact" styling of the exterior, in regards to the concept car.

You have to give a little to get a little. I think they did the best they could.

HOWEVER, this is an open forum, and we have to provide our feedback to help improve the car, and future models!!!

Please keep giving constructive feedback - it IS important!!!

(we all know many people "in the know" read this and other forums...our constructive feedback is one of the primary ways they can make things "better." Right?)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #92
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Nice thing here is that this is not degenerating into a flame war.
The picture does illustrate the point pretty well - that could be a heck of a blind spot
I have had similar issues with mounting GPS systems - they can cause same issue - but at least I get to choose where I stick those - so I can find optimal location - which you cant do here.
The Onstar area certainly adds a lot to the bottom of the mirror and this is good feedback for GM
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #93
m0ore4ustin391

Drives: 2009 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
ok... here is a pic taken today... judge for yourself but i still need REAL ideas.
so i dont like this one thing about my car and it CAN be changed... at least im not griping about something REALLY USEFUL like ABL! gimme a break.
BTW - ABL is ultra cool.

just for everyone who keeps saying lower the seat and raise the mirror:
the seat is LOWERED and laid back some, the mirror is RAISED (including removing the plastic wire cover, which buy you maybe 1/8").
believe it or not this picture is NOT doctored in any way. I took it while SITTING still with my iphone up against my face with my head on the headrest.
(my line of sight is about an inch below the tint line)

tada: (no need to criticize my photography, i know i stink)
Yo man, if this is really at your eye level then i hate to say it... your just to tall for this car man. If the seat is as low as it can go and this is how it still looks when your driving... there really isn't much GM or anyone els can do except removing the mirror completely. The way i see it, you got 3 options...

1.) Deal with it (risk the blind spot and hitting other cars) or learn to look under or around the mirror when crossing intersections or stop signs whatever.
2.) Take the mirror off.
3.) Return or sell the car

See most of these features and flaws your supposed to get out of the way on the first test drive. I can understand you being very excited and forgetting to look at all the flaws of the car because you just cant wait to own one. Trust me i have been there. But it is what it is, this is a compact sports car and is not going to be very "practical" or "comfortable", specially for you taller guys (im only 5'10"). Some cars just aren't meant for some people.

But good luck to you sir!

EDIT: I can see GM defiantly redesigning the mirror to be smaller and taking away all that useless black film behind the mirror but i dont see GM doing this because they already released production models and i don't see them doing any re-designing any time soon.

I just realized this, but where in DFW are you located?

Last edited by m0ore4ustin391; 05-29-2009 at 12:01 AM.
m0ore4ustin391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #94
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Wow, that does look bad. That mirror needs to be higher and thinner top to bottom. It's taking up way too much visibility out the front. I'm 6'2" so I'm concerned about this.

Prediction: We'll see a new, smaller mirror in the 2011 Camaro.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #95
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
My suggestion would be to park the car and take the bus. I read what you posted and agree with none of it.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #96
MustangSlayer10

Drives: Richland Chevy
I had the blind spot problem when I test drove it. I agree the mirror is a bit too big. It should be able to be solved or fixed with a smaller mirror. Wouldn't be surprised if chevy does this the next model year or have an aftermarket replacement.

Last edited by MustangSlayer10; 05-29-2009 at 05:37 AM.
MustangSlayer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #97
orange_5thgen

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS BadAss 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
Here is a great post by NukemGreg. How to properly align mirrors. It could help with some on this thread. I adjusted mine like this a few days ago, and it is a night and day difference. What I have been missing all my life. WOW!

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

Thanks for the info. Been driving for a long time and probably never had my mirrors adjusted properly.

I'm gonna keep this in mind IF i ever get my Camaro.
orange_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #98
clove503

Drives: 2010 Black SS/RS
Im 6'3 and dont have any problems with any of the mirrors.

...But Im not sitting like you are in that picture. Lean back?
clove503 is offline   Reply With Quote