Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Camaro SS to R8 Headlight Conversion

This is sort of a custom project that I'd like to pursue for my Camaro. I love how the RS headlights look, they're bad-ass, but I've been looking at the Audi R8 lately and I'd love to put it's LED headlights on my SS. They are 12 little l.e.d.s that run across the inside of the headlights, they're very bright and I think they wouldn't look bad on the new Camaro. But I've never seen them on one, so I'm not too sure. I've seen the same concept done to a Charger, and I like the look.

Anyone know who should I go about contacting for some possible kits to make this conversion happen? AAC Lighting?

Here are the lights.......

Here are some photos of other cars trying to duplicate the R8's headlights design. It doesn't look too far off either.......

Now if AAC could only do that with the Camaro's headlights somehow.

Any takers?
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Not feeling it... I think the Camaro's light housing is too circular for that. Plus, I'm sure you can shape your own LED strip in your lamp housing. =p Looks like a simple enough project... you just have to know what you want it to look like exactly.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Not feeling it... I think the Camaro's light housing is too circular for that. Plus, I'm sure you can shape your own LED strip in your lamp housing. =p Looks like a simple enough project... you just have to know what you want it to look like exactly.
Well yes, I have considered that fact but I think a simple way to compensate for the circular or "box" shape of the Camaro's headlight housing is to instead of having "12 l.e.d.s" which would run across the headlight like in the R8, just cut the number of leds down to like maybe 7 or 8 which travels across the headlight. The R8's headlight housing is much wider and angular than the Camaro's therefore it can actually fit 12 leds across them, but in the Camaro I imagine you'd have to have less than 12 and you'd be able to pull off the same look.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 07-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Im not felling it, but i honestly believe that you should try it. buy a strip and see how it looks, it might be a hit. who knows
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
rhd
dirtbag

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
i had a friend just stick a strip under his headlights (on a bmw) not in it and it looked good, you might want to try that out and if you like the look then break into the headlights
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
AAC has some LED light bars in different lengths. I've got some as my signal lights on the front after my BMW light conversion. You could see if they've got a flexible white one or something and stick it on there
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I'm assuming this is wanted for a non-RS equipped car?

I think R8 style LED strips would clash with the RS-style Halo's...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT & Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I'm assuming this is wanted for a non-RS equipped car?

I think R8 style LED strips would clash with the RS-style Halo's...
I agree

Its do-able though, I would custom make this, but I have an RS
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 1282010 Camaro 2 SS/RS - BLACKOUT & 2017 Camaro 2 SS - 50th Anniversary #894 WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
it would be an interesting look if someone could pull it off..
jcamere94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Are you wanting just a curvy strip and not a halo??

I imagine if you get with AAc they'd be glad to put something together for you. Not real sure how it would look.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Just looking at Shuffler's signature, I don't think there's enough room in the front fascia opening to add a LED strip and make it look right. The headlights are recessed too far into the fascia to get any sort of similar effect.

Originally I thought having a half-circle on the bottom half of the headlight housing that turns into a straight horizontal line across the turn signal might look decent, but now that I look at the signature, it just wouldn't make sense. You'd practically need an entirely new custom-made headlight assembly...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Just looking at Shuffler's signature, I don't think there's enough room in the front fascia opening to add a LED strip and make it look right. The headlights are recessed too far into the fascia to get any sort of similar effect.

Originally I thought having a half-circle on the bottom half of the headlight housing that turns into a straight horizontal line across the turn signal might look decent, but now that I look at the signature, it just wouldn't make sense. You'd practically need an entirely new custom-made headlight assembly...
I've thought about this,....it would take some work to pull off. The headlight housing does look a bit smaller in width to have the led strip run across the housing.

If I can't pull it off id try to do dual halos. But not like any Ive seen yet. One regular Aac halo where the rs lights would
be then another smaller halo behind that to go in front the actual bulb. I'd have to experiment with it and actually draw up a model for it.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune