Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Thanks for all of the input. As I said, I have the cross-drilled premium rotors from R1concepts on my Magnum together with the SS lines and ceramic Posi-quiet pads and I've never been so impressed with the stopping power of this combination. It took that car from trying to stop a loaded dump truck to stopping our stock Camaros. They put off next to no dust and have been on the car for some 40k + miles with very little wear on the rotor. Last I looked the pads were in good shape still too.

I only had a couple min to check in on this then I've got to run to work but I'll keep doing some reading on this.

Thanks again for all the info.

Karl
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwalterhouse View Post
Had the same problem with OEM pads, replaced them with Hawks from Apex and eliminated the dust problem. Cheap is not always the solution and Hawks are not cheap.
Same with me. While I like the Hawk pads on my SS I do get a squeal out of them every now and then. I ran Watkins Glen track back in June and they started to sound like sirens. I was told by a good mechanic that I needed to be liberal with the grease that comes with the pads to keep the squeal away. When I installed them they came with a tube for the back and one for the front. I only used one tube for all four. I will fix this in the spring. But for the dust, it cut it down tremendously! I have Factory Reproductions chrome stock wheels and you don"t even see the dust anymore, washing once every 2-3 weeks. Hawks from Apex are the way to go.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Performance brakes and pads = dust. Just part of living with a performance car.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
SEMA is days away, wait and see what might be new for our car
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
SEMA is days away, wait and see what might be new for our car
They always bring great looking and performing Camaros for us to see. I can't wait to see what they have this year. After all SEMA is where our beloved 1LE made its concept debut.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20141le View Post
What do you all use to clean your rims? Takes forever wish just soap and water.
I know this isn't a cleaning thread BUT since we are talking about dust ...

I use a multi step process:

TOOLS
1. Adams Boulder Blonde Boars Hair Wheel Brush - 20 inch
2. Adams Fender Brush - 20 inch
3. Adams Turbo Stick (connected to wireless drill)
4. Adams Trim and Lugnut Brush
5. Five gallon bucket of water
6. Microfiber cloth
7. Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Gem Wheel Cleaner
8. Chemical Guys All Clean All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser
9. Electric Leaf Blower

WASH (do one wheel at a time and keep cleaned wheels wet until your car is completely washed)
1. Spray wheel, inside barrel and wheel well thoroughly with water - highest pressure your hose has. Watch the brake dust roll down your driveway.

2. Spray wheel well with All Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser

3. Spray wheel liberally with Diablo. Start with lugs. Shoot into barrel (up, down, left, right). Spray outer edge. Spray in circle around the legs of the wheel. I use a lot.

4. Dip Blonde Boars Hari Wheel Brush in bucket. Stand to side of wheel. Make clockwise circles spiraling out from lugs. Make counter clockwise circles spiraling in toward lugs. Spiral it around some more until it's nice and soapy. Put brush back into bucket.

5. Dip lug nut brush into water bucket. Insert brush over lugs, one by one. Spin brush right and left. Then get your valve cover. Then your brake pads. Rinse brush in water and let sit on something (mine has a wooden handle so I don't leave it in the water) between wheels.

6. Dip turbo stick into water. Insert into barrel portion of wheel. Turn on drill. Move it left to right between the wheel arms. Then diagonally side to side. I rock it toward the outer edge of the wheel to get the groove that goes around the rim. Do these steps in all positions. Rinse the turbo stick. Put the drill away from water spray.

7. Take microfiber towel. Rinse in same water bucket. Then wipe down the wheel's arms one by one. Especially get behind each arm and around the groove that goes around the rim. Now doctor up the brake pads. Smile.

8. Take the fender brush and rinse it. Clean the fenders wells as best you can. It's tight in there on the frontiers. Don't bang up your fenders. Put the brush into the bucket.

9. Rinse, Repeat for each other wheel

It take me about 30-45 minutes to wash my wheels. They come out amazing.

10. Wash your car (I won't get into this here)

11. Sheet Dry / Pool Dry your car. Yes, dry your wet car with water.

12. Take the leaf blower and dry the wheels, wheel wells, gas cap, side markers, door handles, mirrors, grill/front and spoiler/rear end.

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 11-04-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Forgot Steps 10-12.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #21
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
my 2014 has no dust yet - maybe still not broke in enough or changed up pads little
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post

TOOLS
6. Microfiber cloth
9. Electric Leaf Blower

WASH (do one wheel at a time and keep cleaned wheels wet until your car is completely washed)
1. Spray wheel, inside barrel and wheel well thoroughly with water - highest pressure your hose has. Watch the brake dust roll down your driveway.

3. Spray wheel liberally with Diablo. Start with lugs. Shoot into barrel (up, down, left, right). Spray outer edge. Spray in circle around the legs of the wheel. I use a lot.

4. Dip Blonde Boars Hari Wheel Brush in bucket. Stand to side of wheel. Make clockwise circles spiraling out from lugs. Make counter clockwise circles spiraling in toward lugs. Spiral it around some more until it's nice and soapy. Put brush back into bucket.

5. Dip lug nut brush into water bucket. Insert brush over lugs, one by one. Spin brush right and left. Then get your valve cover. Then your brake pads. Rinse brush in water and let sit on something (mine has a wooden handle so I don't leave it in the water) between wheels.

6. Dip turbo stick into water. Insert into barrel portion of wheel. Turn on drill. Move it left to right between the wheel arms. Then diagonally side to side. I rock it toward the outer edge of the wheel to get the groove that goes around the rim. Do these steps in all positions. Rinse the turbo stick. Put the drill away from water spray.

7. Take microfiber towel. Rinse in same water bucket. Then wipe down the wheel's arms one by one. Especially get behind each arm and around the groove that goes around the rim. Now doctor up the brake pads. Smile.

8. Take the fender brush and rinse it. Clean the fenders wells as best you can. It's tight in there on the frontiers. Don't bang up your fenders. Put the brush into the bucket.

12. Take the leaf blower and dry the wheels, wheel wells, gas cap, side markers, door handles, mirrors, grill/front and spoiler/rear end.
Holy cats man! The only thing you might have left out were pictures of each step. LOL You and my older brother would get along great. They used to call him Mr. Spock for the length and in-depth answers he gave. LOL

Seriously though, nice writeup on that. Seems like a ton of work. Almost would be easier to take each wheel off to clean it. I took mine off when I waxed them with Sweet Wheel Wax. Much faster and easier that way. I took the time to wax the calipers too while I was at it.

Waxing seems to help with the dust removal. I just picked up some wheel and tire cleaner last night. I was going to try it out this morning but it's raining! I'm going to check out those Hog's Hair brushes you were talking about. Sounds like those might make it a bit easier.

I'm saving my pennies for the R1 rotors and pads. The ones I have on the other car have served me so well I've got to give them a chance on this car too.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #23
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post

TOOLS
6. Microfiber cloth
9. Electric Leaf Blower

Takes me about 10 minutes per wheel as well. I use the wheel woolie to clean the barrel and have found that a dedicated mf mit that I can put my hand in works best for spoke and surface cleaning. I wash my car a lot so rarely do I have to use anything but soap and water. I do have D140 wheel brightener that I dilute the hell out of and use on occasion.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Yep, I spend about the same amount of time on mine......Think maybe I'm just getting tired/lazy in my old age. Maybe hubcaps...LOL NOT!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
My routine for cleaning my ZL1 wheels has been cleaning them when I wash the car, cleaning them again when I pull in the garage to remove the rust from rotors, and then cleaning them a third time when I get to a show. By the end of the summer, I couldn't take this routine anymore. So I bought a set of Hawk high performance low dust ceramic pads thinking they would significantly reduce the dust and put an end to my three cleaning routine.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the results. I was expecting a 75% or better reduction in dust but In reality I'd say it's closer to a 10-15% reduction. And even then it may not be a reduction at all because as others have pointed out the ceramics give off a white dust instead of black.

In hind sight I wish I would have kept the OEM pads on and used the money I spent on the Hawks for some more "clamorous" mods.

Last edited by hawk02; 11-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My routine for cleaning my ZL1 wheels has been cleaning them when I wash the car, cleaning them again when I pull in the garage to remove the rust from rotors, and then cleaning them a third time when I get to a show. By the end of the summer, I couldn't take this routine anymore. So I bought a set of Hawk high performance low dust ceramic pads thinking they would significantly reduce the dust and put an end to my three cleaning routine.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the results. I was expecting a 75% or better reduction in dust but In reality I'd say it's closer to a 10-15% reduction. And even then it may not be a reduction at all because as others have pointed out the ceramics give off a white dust instead of black.

In hind sight I wish I would have kept the OEM pads on and used the money I spent on the Hawks for some more "clamorous" mods.

Well at least you mind is made up on car color.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #27
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Well at least you mind is made up on car color.
Sure looks that way doesn't it.

It's more a case of circumstances than color preference. I did go looking for red with the first one, but when I went to trade on the next two, the cars I wanted just happened to be the same color. I would have accepted AGM, IOM, or CRT in addition to VR.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #28
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

It's funny you mentioned the rusting rotors after washing the car. I've found with the R1's on the Maggie they don't rust up like the normal rotors. I've asked about this and was told it's because of the increased about of Zinc and some other metal they use more of in there Premium Rotor.

Nice ZL1 by the way.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL OF MY MARINE BROTHERS AND SISTERS - SEMPER FI!