Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
ExCrystal

Drives: 2017 2SS NGM
Question Oxidation?

So basically for the past few weeks, I've been hearing this really loud and annoying squeak coming from (what I'm assuming) my wheels whenever I would lightly brake. My first thought was it's the brake pads - my car has about 24K miles and is going to need new tires in the near future.

I brought my baby into the dealer and he said the brakes were fine, but there was oxidation on the wheels, which quote on quote "would cause a squeaking noise after you start her up in the morning and go away after a bit." Problem is, that it continues long after I "first start her up" and the whole time while driving regardless of the time of day.

Should I bring her back to the dealer and have him check again? Cause it's getting really annoying and making me self-conscious whenever I brake as my car emits a dying-raccoon type of noise; she's only just over a year old, too.

On a side note, I was rear-ended by a texting-while-driving driver back in June which pinned my exhaust system against my rear wheel ($5,500 in damage - thank you insurance!). This started a week or two after getting my car back from the shop - could the way my car was repaired, or even the accident, knocked something out of place that was missed/be causing this?

Any thoughts on this and how I should re-approach my dealer would be helpful. Thanks!
ExCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Oxidation on the wheels? That doesn't make any sense.

Do you mean oxidation on the brake rotors? They will rust or oxidize, but that will happen from day 1. You would have noticed that right away.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
He probably means the brake rotors, not the wheels. And even if that were true, the oxidation would be gone after the first application of the brakes. If it's only happening when the brakes are applied....then it is obviously something wrong within the brake system. New pads would be my first guess. And yes, your previous accident definitely could have had some affect on your brake system. Make sure it's "squeeling" real good....and then take it back in. Tell them to jump in the car with you right away so that you can prove to them there is a problem.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi ExCrystal,

I'm sorry to hear this! If you need assistance in scheduling an appointment at your dealership, I would be happy to do so. I am sure that this noise is getting quite annoying!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCrystal View Post
So basically for the past few weeks, I've been hearing this really loud and annoying squeak coming from (what I'm assuming) my wheels whenever I would lightly brake. My first thought was it's the brake pads - my car has about 24K miles and is going to need new tires in the near future.

I brought my baby into the dealer and he said the brakes were fine, but there was oxidation on the wheels, which quote on quote "would cause a squeaking noise after you start her up in the morning and go away after a bit." Problem is, that it continues long after I "first start her up" and the whole time while driving regardless of the time of day.

Should I bring her back to the dealer and have him check again? Cause it's getting really annoying and making me self-conscious whenever I brake as my car emits a dying-raccoon type of noise; she's only just over a year old, too.

On a side note, I was rear-ended by a texting-while-driving driver back in June which pinned my exhaust system against my rear wheel ($5,500 in damage - thank you insurance!). This started a week or two after getting my car back from the shop - could the way my car was repaired, or even the accident, knocked something out of place that was missed/be causing this?

Any thoughts on this and how I should re-approach my dealer would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Does yours have the brembo's? If so I've read a bunch of posts basically saying that it is normal because the brakes are too big for every day driving :-/ they recommend doing some high speed hard braking to de glaze the pads which I've noticed works but then about 2 miles later it starts again lol I've tried everything from resurfacing to putting the goo on the back of the pads and they still do it, pretty much the only thing about the car I dislike so far :-( good luck and let us know if you figure it out!
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree135 View Post
Does yours have the brembo's? If so I've read a bunch of posts basically saying that it is normal because the brakes are too big for every day driving :-/ they recommend doing some high speed hard braking to de glaze the pads which I've noticed works but then about 2 miles later it starts again lol I've tried everything from resurfacing to putting the goo on the back of the pads and they still do it, pretty much the only thing about the car I dislike so far :-( good luck and let us know if you figure it out!
Why are they too big for everyday driving? That does not make sense to me, but I am curious.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Judging by the pic, it's a V6 so no Brembos. It could be related to the rear hit you mentioned if the noise is that obnoxious. Standard brake squeal usually isn't that bad. I have the base (non Brembo) brakes and I haven't had any noise yet. If you go back to the dealer definitley go for a drive with them, but you might want to try a different dealer. This one sounds clueless.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Apparently the brembo's are overpowered for daily driving in town, at least that's what I gathered from the threads I found. There's half a dozen threads on brembo's brake squeal if you wanted to look it up
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
ExCrystal

Drives: 2017 2SS NGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
He probably means the brake rotors, not the wheels. And even if that were true, the oxidation would be gone after the first application of the brakes. If it's only happening when the brakes are applied....then it is obviously something wrong within the brake system. New pads would be my first guess. And yes, your previous accident definitely could have had some affect on your brake system. Make sure it's "squeeling" real good....and then take it back in. Tell them to jump in the car with you right away so that you can prove to them there is a problem.
To make it clear, it was my right rear wheel my exhaust was pinned against. I had a friend sit and listen in my car last night and he said it was coming from the right side in the back. Today, I had a coworker tell me it was definitely coming from the back of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi ExCrystal,

I'm sorry to hear this! If you need assistance in scheduling an appointment at your dealership, I would be happy to do so. I am sure that this noise is getting quite annoying!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
I think I'm good for now, but I will contact you if otherwise - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Judging by the pic, it's a V6 so no Brembos. It could be related to the rear hit you mentioned if the noise is that obnoxious. Standard brake squeal usually isn't that bad. I have the base (non Brembo) brakes and I haven't had any noise yet. If you go back to the dealer definitley go for a drive with them, but you might want to try a different dealer. This one sounds clueless.
Yes, it is quite obnoxious haha. The dealer even said my pads were fine, so it leaves me to believe it's a leftover from the accident. I called the dealer again and asked, but he just waved it off again. When I have off from work next, I'll definitely bring it in, make the dealer sit in the car, take him for a drive, and make him listen. I could be doing 5-10 mph, and have the squeal occur even if I brake lightly. It's constant.

I'll keep everyone updated, but this is all I have for now :/
ExCrystal is offline   Reply With Quote