Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
High LTFT with Vararam

I've noticed my gas mileage going down by a few mpg's recently. I've had the Vararam on the car for about 6 months now, and this started within the last month or so. I ran a live scan with my Innova, and my long term fuel trims are running 5% high. I know the V-8 Vararam had a "tune" or "no tune" design. Does the v-6 as well?
So far I'm throwing no codes, and the only driving difference I notice is it likes to buck before it warms up...even though it's 97 degrees up here. Do I need a tune?

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Kid

Can a mod move this to the LLT section, please

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Ok, This was a problem when I got my Vararam. It seams that the Breather that come with the Vararam has a hole to big in it.
To fix it I got a Breather from Tracy at Rx.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Kid

So the tube that originally ran to the Vararam breather, now runs to your catch can?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

no, I pluged that one off. What I remember is the Vararam Chrome breather lets to much air thru (it's not metered) the Rx Breather is A metered Breather, so as to let a certian amount of air into the crankcase. Then the Intake pulls air from the PCV (crankcase vapors), if it is pulling to much air thru the system it upsets your LTFT

I hope this makes sense, It's been awhile
But in another way it's a vacumn leak is why your LTFT are going crazy.
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
spyderbuddy

Frist pic all the way to the left, you can see the Plug.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Kid

Makes sense. I felt I was losing power, so leaning out should give it a little punch back. I think I'll order the whole breather/ catch can combo.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Makes sense. I felt I was losing power, so leaning out should give it a little punch back. I think I'll order the whole breather/ catch can combo.
Expect a long wait on the can not sure about the breather. Rx is on about a 8-10 week backorder on the cans.

And to anyone that reads this PLEASE PLEASE do not take this as a bashing/hating post. I simply want to let the OP know about the wait time.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Kid

Thanks for the heads up. They don't stick around too long in the classified section.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
spyderbuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Expect a long wait on the can not sure about the breather. Rx is on about a 8-10 week backorder on the cans.

And to anyone that reads this PLEASE PLEASE do not take this as a bashing/hating post. I simply want to let the OP know about the wait time.

No problem glad you did, I really did not know how to tell him.
Personally I would get the Elite Can A lot of people seem to be happy with it.
But at the same time I don't know where else he can get the breather.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
No problem glad you did, I really did not know how to tell him.
Personally I would get the Elite Can A lot of people seem to be happy with it.
But at the same time I don't know where else he can get the breather.
Honestly speaking I have had both the Rx and the Elite. I had a few issues with the Rx can that Tracy was not able to really figure out the root cause of even though he did attempt a few times. I switched to the Elite and have preferred it since. In my opinion the exterior Build quality of the elite surpases the Rx can but I can not say how the Elite can works since I have only put under 100 miles on it. The biggest selling point to me on the Elite was its drain method.

Edit: But you are right. Rx is the only company to sell the breather. You could order both the Breather and the Elite can through Apex. I got my elite can there and it was a great experience.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Kid

Just ordered the breather from Apex. I'll keep trying to score a used can until they can orgo with an Elite. They seem to pop up on eBay from time to time. Thanks for all of the help. I originally posted a screen shot showing the trims from my scanner. It was deleted for some reason. I'll try posting a before and after once I get the new breather in.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Anything that let's more air into your engine whether it be a better intake, or a vacuum leak will increase your fuel trims if it's not tuned for it. It's just the computer doing its job.

FWIW, I bought a used RX can in the classified section a while back. When I was installing it I broke one of the fittings. I called Tracy and asked to buy a new fitting for my can that I bought second hand from a forum member. He sent me the fitting for FREE, in 3 days. Not sure what he did to piss everyone off, but that was above and beyond in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Kid

I like to ignore all of the bashing. A good product is a good product, and vice versa. Everyone will have a horror story from SOMETHING they bought. It's just that here it gets aired out for all to see.