Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #29
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Nice win! add that to your kill list... i'm sure there will be plenty more. i will race on the streets as well, just have common sense about it.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #30
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Welp street racing is street racing. Sure, I think most may or may not have done it once, but there is a limit. I have gone to the "spots" and people have ask to race me..I simply decline. I tell them I'll be at the track on Friday.

I decline street racing because there is more to a car than making it go fast. There are things called brakes, and tranny's and other parts that some people ignore, and sure the car go fast, but heh, it cannot stop, veer, or turn well at those speeds. Sooooo many crashed I have witness over the years.....The kids killed ? In the one story on this post ? Probably at the finish line of a STREET race...wrong place to stand...I mean really wrong place.

So you will always have street racers. Sure you get the urge to hit the gas. But as for me, I try to avoid them...I do not want my car totaled....and most of the times its not you, but the other driver(s) who will cause the pile up...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #31
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
One of the problems is everyone puts every high speed run or challenge into the same category "street racing."

I'm not saying street racing is something I incourage or support, but every situation is different.

I've gone xxx speeds on open roads where no one is around (no side streets, no driveways, no intersections, no on ramps or off ramps, no people period. Just a long straight section of empty highway.

That's a lot different than racing someone down a street while there's bunch of people standing around watching. Of if your flying down a busy street with intersections and side streets. That's just stupid.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #32
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
i agree with the fact that its dangerous and unneccesary, i'm also guilty of it.... don't tell me you have the willpower to sit behind 426hp with some guy reving his 315hp mustang next to you, and not mash the pedal to the floor.
You really don't have that self control?? Is it peer pressure??
Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #33
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
its real easy for me to hold back when i have the faster car; why waste my time?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #34
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
its real easy for me to hold back when i have the faster car; why waste my time?
just laugh and drive away.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I race on the track and I race on the street sometimes. I've lost friends and family due to racing on the street and the track. Oh Yeah I am a Federal L.E.O.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #36
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
There seems to be two sides on these stories. Those that appreciate a good story and those who preach about the dangers on the roads. Is it against the law...of course. But I have had mine now for almost a month and every single time I have had him out on the road, I too have come across the challange. It takes a wise and safe driver to evaluate the situation for safety. And there is no shame in simply giving it a little front lift and quck burst with a shrug at the traffic and a hearty thumbs up as well. But on the other hand if conditions and traffic are condusive then there is nothing wrong with a little stretch knowing that your insurance and license is at stake if caught. Its part of the thrill I suppose. I cant believe it has to be taken to 135 on the street before it was proven that you were the winner or loser. That is the crazy part. When on highway it is easy enough to roll down yes down is speed on a very open stretch then let them go but the race is over by the time you are to 85 to 90. Then you can simply roll down again and let them have another go at you. From a stop on a highway the race can be over by the same speed. The roads are really no place for the 135 mph speeds with another car. That is asking for revocation of a license. There is a track close to everyone that can be had for next to nothing to really let him rip. You dont have to puss out on the roads but you dont have to be a statisic either. See I am on both sides....
That's very well put, 2010 SS! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've had nothing but muscle cars over the past 30+ years, but somehow have managed to resist the temptation to road race since 1978 or so. And there have been plenty of other drivers trying to get me to take the bait too, but it just always has seemed too risky with traffic or the possibility of getting caught. Until about a month ago.

I was stopped at a red light in the left lane of a 4-lane, 50 mph speed limit access road, getting ready to take the Interstate highway left exit a half mile up the road. From the line of cars behind me, a new-ish Mercedes pulled out about 6 cars behind, and pulled up next to me on the right. I think it was a C350, but not totally sure. I know it couldn't have been an AMG model because of what happened next...

I figured he pulled out from the line thinking he'd get the jump on me and get to the exit first. And when someone does this, I always wonder why the other driver thinks he has the right to just cut in front of other drivers? I mean, no one (excluding a-holes) would cut in front of a line at a bank or grocery store would they, so why should driving in traffic be different? Anyway, because I think like this, I usually won't let people pass me on the right like I was thinking this guy was planning on doing. So, when the light turned green, I was ready and got the jump on him easily with only 1/4 throttle or so. In fact, I shifted into second, at about 25 mph thinking it was over, and then I realized he was full throttle!

He caught me by surprise there, and at that point, because of adrenaline, stupidity, or macho pride (I'm not sure which), I made a split-second decision to go for it and not let the guy pass if I could help it. He had slightly gone past me with his rear fender even with my front fender when I floored the throttle. I wasn't in the ideal rpm range, but I was well beyond the point of downshifting into first, so I just rode out second gear until it started pulling hard, and shifted into 3rd near the red-line about 65 mph. We were still side-by-side with him slightly ahead, but by now I was pulling him. Still, he wasn't backing off at all, so I stayed WOT all the way through 3rd gear until shifting into 4th near the red-line. Now, I'm not even looking at the speedo anymore, because it's full focus on driving at this speed, AND the road had a gentle sweeping bend to the right, making it not quite as simple as a drag race. Seconds after shifting to 4th gear I had pulled slightly ahead, and I could see his front bumper through my passenger window. I'm going to say we were near 120 mph here, because my 3rd gear red-line is just about 100 mph. And we were also closing in on the left exit now, so something or someone had to give. And he gave in first, backing off and pulling behind me in the left lane to take the exit.

My heart was beating pretty good then, and I was also quite pleased with myself for holding him off, and getting to the exit in one piece, apparently without getting caught... That was definitely it for me, no matter what the other guy wanted to do after getting on the Interstate, so I slowed down and took the exit at normal speed and eased onto the highway probably a bit slower than usual, looking around just to make sure there were no flashing lights anywhere in sight. He stayed behind for a minute or two, and then pulled out to pass me properly on the left - and I planned to give the guy a thumbs-up or friendly wave for the excitement when he passed by, but believe it or not, he totally ignored me as if nothing had happened! That was really strange - I expected either a friendly acknowledgement, or possibly a flip of the finger if he was ticked off, but I didn't expect him to not even look over. Oh well, maybe he was embarrassed and/or angry that his car couldn't beat a car that likely cost 1/3 of the price of his?

In any case, I fully realize that what I did was dumb, immature, reckless, and could easily have resulted in the loss of my license and insurance, or worse. And since it is out of my system now, I think it is likely that I never, ever do it again. After all, I have started taking my car to the track once a year for a couple years now for road course HPDE events, where it is LEGAL and relatively SAFE to drive near the limit. But, I have to admit that the spontaneous race with the Mercedes was pretty thrilling, and had me pumped up for a few hours afterward.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #37
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
just laugh and drive away.
I assure you earlier this evening this Camaro SS owner wasn't laughing. From a roll in second gear, I gave him the jump and I was granny shifting at 5800 rpm. Heh, heh. My first encounter with a 2010 Camaro SS.
Here's the video ....http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...Camaro0001.flv
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #38
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
thanks for the post to help me go to sleep! I was havng a hard time of it until this post started!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #39
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
I assure you earlier this evening this Camaro SS owner wasn't laughing. From a roll in second gear, I gave him the jump and I was granny shifting at 5800 rpm. Heh, heh. My first encounter with a 2010 Camaro SS.
Here's the video ....http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...Camaro0001.flv
jeeze, nice hair. Are you sure you shouldnt be driving a camaro?
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #40
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
jeeze, nice hair. Are you sure you shouldnt be driving a camaro?
Hey at 46 years old I'm just grateful to still have hair.LOL
Don't worry I don't have a mullet. Although I see how it could be misconstrued in the video.I have long hair and I had my bangs behind my ears so my hair wouldn't get in my eyes.
I have a feeling I'm going to be taking a worse beating than that Camaro. Ouch!!!

Last edited by porcupinekiller; 06-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #41
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
LOL, it does not have 420 feat of torque for nothing

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #42
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
What can I say I think its truly a gene some people are born with at a young age the risk is very high because you don't usually use too much caution but I believe as you get older you can find situations to responsibly street race to a certain extent... Like from a complete stop late at night and only until about 3rd gear and 90 mph tops anything beyond that is walking the fine line.

Closed Thread