Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1513
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
I don't have one of those, lol. Guess I should invest in one then. Would the compressor in my trunk work? And my track doesn't offer free air that I know of. I'll ask next time I am there.

Also, I try to be careful with these tires since they are my DD tires.

Yea the weather is either cool here (70s-low 80s) with high humidity or low humidity and high temps during the summer. I go for fun though and don't mind what I run. Tomorrow night I am hoping for decent temps and humidity based on the weather this week so far. The last time I will be there is next month at the last Midnight Madness so hoping for cool temps again. I ran really good at the beginning of the season (14.2 and was pretty much stock as well as was my first time at the track).

Is there a way to correct the times? Just curious is all.

That is the one I use, works fine to bring my drag radial tire PSI back from 18 to 35 for the drive home. .....

Yes there is, check out this web site for the DA correction numbers. Plug in the numbers and see the corrections. Really only used for an equalizer to verify what happens in differant scenarios.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php
Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #1514
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
not so sure of that... Look at V6owner's stats... he trapped at 109 MPH but only ran a 13.1... and he's running good tires and says he hooks...
He said he was running out of gas near the end of that run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG SGH-1747 using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #1515
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Rev and hold at about 3,700 then dump the clutch (fully release it quickly) then slam on the brakes with your left foot while flooring it. Personally I say dumb it from first on street tires and 2nd for radials.
cool thanks. might have to try it one day

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #1516
iceman5730
Iceman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT SC/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Is this a manual or auto car?

You're going to need tires on a FI car. That 104 trap speed is good for low 13s.

Sorry for the delay Darkness It is an Auto and I was using sport mode The next time I will use the paddles the car response is much quicker
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #1517
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5730 View Post
Sorry for the delay Darkness It is an Auto and I was using sport mode The next time I will use the paddles the car response is much quicker
Good to see there will be a next time.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #1518
iceman5730
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryman View Post
Good to see there will be a next time.

Ha Merc how come you SS guys on the V6 thread are you planning on trading up
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #1519
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Paddle shifters are NOT quicker... if anything they will probably slow you down... but what the heck give it a try...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #1520
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Paddle shifters are NOT quicker... if anything they will probably slow you down... but what the heck give it a try...

As scrming said you can give it a try, however, the times I tried paddle shifting I was slower for sure. I was never faster than the computer doing the work for me.

Sprot mode all the way, everytime.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #1521
iceman5730
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
As scrming said you can give it a try, however, the times I tried paddle shifting I was slower for sure. I was never faster than the computer doing the work for me.

Sprot mode all the way, everytime.

Okay thanks I will delete paddles Let you know how I make out
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #1522
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
I see. You seem to have spent a lot of money on your car, I think you owe it to the car to get a proper rim/tire set up for drag racing. You need radials or slicks out back on a FI car. Street tires just arent going to cut it at that power level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
cool thanks. might have to try it one day
Make sure your tires are wet! Burnouts with dry tires is terrible for your driveline/clutch. It can be done, but only so many times.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #1523
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Any suggestions for a first timer? Will probably be taking part in an event in about 3 weeks and need some pointers lol. Car is a 2011 V6 automatic.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #1524
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyGamr2 View Post
Any suggestions for a first timer? Will probably be taking part in an event in about 3 weeks and need some pointers lol. Car is a 2011 V6 automatic.

My first time ever going down the track in a car was November 2010 when I met up with SCRMNG at our local track. I have been down a few tracks before but those were on frozen surfaces while on board my snowmobile. John helped educate me quickly.

So here is some education that I learned from others.

You will need a helmet and our track requires closed shoes and long pants. Check with your local track for rules.

1. Over inflate your front tires to around 42 - 45 lbs. This will reduce the rolling resistance on the fronts.

2. Set the rear tire pressure to around 30 lbs. This will help with traction.

3. be sure to run 93 octanes. Preferably for the week leading up to the track time. I arrived on my second track time with a 1/4 tank of gas. Remember (rule of thumb) for every 100 lb reduction is 0.1 of a second faster. Every 10 HP increase is worth a 0.1 of a second too.

4. Turn off all traction devices and do a burnout while holding your foot on the brake. (automatics) Try and get both tires spinning and heat the stock Pirellis up.

5. Stage your Camaro with all traction control devices back on. Wheel spin is an ET killer.

6. Hold the RPM's just off idle with your right foot and with your left foot hold the brake.

7. When you see the last yellow of the xmas tree light up let off the brake and put the hammer down.

Don't worry about your reaction time at first. This only comes into play in head to head running not during test and tune time.

Go straight and let off the gas after you go thru the traps at the end. Keep in mind there is a 2nd set of lights for trap speed just passed the finish line so make sure your past this point before lifting.

Slow down and know the local track rules on departing the track.

And by all means have fun. And enjoy the legal drag racing.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #1525
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
My first time ever going down the track in a car was November 2010 when I met up with SCRMNG at our local track. I have been down a few tracks before but those were on frozen surfaces while on board my snowmobile. John helped educate me quickly.

So here is some education that I learned from others.

You will need a helmet and our track requires closed shoes and long pants. Check with your local track for rules.

1. Over inflate your front tires to around 42 - 45 lbs. This will reduce the rolling resistance on the fronts.

2. Set the rear tire pressure to around 30 lbs. This will help with traction.

3. be sure to run 93 octanes. Preferably for the week leading up to the track time. I arrived on my second track time with a 1/4 tank of gas. Remember (rule of thumb) for every 100 lb reduction is 0.1 of a second faster. Every 10 HP increase is worth a 0.1 of a second too.

4. Turn off all traction devices and do a burnout while holding your foot on the brake. (automatics) Try and get both tires spinning and heat the stock Pirellis up.

5. Stage your Camaro with all traction control devices back on. Wheel spin is an ET killer.

6. Hold the RPM's just off idle with your right foot and with your left foot hold the brake.

7. When you see the last yellow of the xmas tree light up let off the brake and put the hammer down.

Don't worry about your reaction time at first. This only comes into play in head to head running not during test and tune time.

Go straight and let off the gas after you go thru the traps at the end. Keep in mind there is a 2nd set of lights for trap speed just passed the finish line so make sure your past this point before lifting.

Slow down and know the local track rules on departing the track.

And by all means have fun. And enjoy the legal drag racing.
Thanks! I'm gonna wear pants and my car isn't fast enough to require a helmet. I'll keep the rest in mind. So burnout without TC but race with it on?

From my Camaro covered iPhone.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #1526
CrzyGamr2
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Quote:
Correct
Thanks again.

Any feedback is appreciated.

From my Camaro covered iPhone.