Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Joemaro

Drives: 2SS/RS
PI0027 Exhaust Replacement, Get GMPP?

Took my Camaro in for a flat and finally decided to take care of the Exhaust issue. How reasonable would it be to ask the dealer to order something other than the stock exhaust and pay the difference?

I know some dealerships have allowed members to do this, should I just grab the GMPP or go for something different?

Any suggestions?

What's extent of the exhaust is replaced? The message the dealer left just said "Need to order a new exhaust under warranty". Haven't had the chance to call him back yet.
Joemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
if you can the deal you are talking about. get the off road one
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
topdragster

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss ls-3
Gmpp Exhaust

If your looking for a better sound most any cat back system will work and is not hard to install. This would be personal choice as there is allot of them to chose from. You could get it from one of the vendors on here and take to your favorite muffler shop and have it put on if you don't want to do it yourself. This would be cheaper than the dealership. I have the GMPP exhaust it's a little better than stock but not very aggressive sounding. And it's way over priced from GM. If you just want axle backs you can get them for half what GM wants for there's. I had them put on because they had a 1500.00 free deal when I purchased my car. A cat back should not have any effect on your warranty. There's a big sticky on exhaust sound just listen to a bunch and pick the one you like.
topdragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Joemaro

GM's only come in axle back?

Is the off road the Borla S type equivalent?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
If you can get the deal go for it. It doesn't seem likely though.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
chevyb

Drives: 2010 red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaro View Post
GM's only come in axle back?

Is the off road the Borla S type equivalent?
Yes I beleive it is. I have a pair if you are intested PM me.
chevyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
MIKENSC2SS

Drives: BLACK 2014 Camaro ZL1
Unless they are not charging you for it, do not go with GMPP.. Way over priced and not worth it.
MIKENSC2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Joemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKENSC2SS View Post
Unless they are not charging you for it, do not go with GMPP.. Way over priced and not worth it.
The reason I may go with GMPP is because I may be able to apply my warranty cost for the replacement exhaust to the GMPP and pay the difference. I think this is more realistic than asking a dealer to purchase a Borla S type.

I spoke with the dealer that is servicing my car, they are looking into it. Better than a flat out no, cross your fingers!

I'm trying to figure out if the off road is the S-type equiv, or the closest to it, as that is the note & volume I'm most fond of.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Yes the GMPP off road is the same as the Borla S type. The reg GMPP exhaust is the same as Borla's Touring. Go to Borla's web site to listen to a comparison of all their systems.
mrvenicess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I just replaced my buzzing stock mufflers with the GMPP street axle back. I already had the SOLO high flow cats so my exhaust warranty had been voided. The SOLOs and the GMPP Street (Borla Touring) is just enough. At 70 mpg there is just enough sound that on a long trip without the radio on could get annoying. I love the sound otherwise.

Look up the price on the GMPP versus the stock mufflers. Based on other cars the stock replacements could be more than the GMPP. It never hurts to ask the dealership, especially since you are looking at another GM product.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Joemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
I just replaced my buzzing stock mufflers with the GMPP street axle back. I already had the SOLO high flow cats so my exhaust warranty had been voided. The SOLOs and the GMPP Street (Borla Touring) is just enough. At 70 mpg there is just enough sound that on a long trip without the radio on could get annoying. I love the sound otherwise.

Look up the price on the GMPP versus the stock mufflers. Based on other cars the stock replacements could be more than the GMPP. It never hurts to ask the dealership, especially since you are looking at another GM product.

On a bone stock LS3 SS do you think the drone will be fine for the on road? Off road?

I love the Borla S, but I'm worried about drone, the Camaro is my DD. I'd settle for touring (on road) if the GMPP off road is going to drone.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaro View Post
On a bone stock LS3 SS do you think the drone will be fine for the on road? Off road?

I love the Borla S, but I'm worried about drone, the Camaro is my DD. I'd settle for touring (on road) if the GMPP off road is going to drone.
I would assume on a bone stock LS3 the Borla S (GMPP off-road) would probably be fine. The high flow cats make a big difference. I'm 100% the Borla S would not have been for me. Sound is very much a personal thing so I can only tell you about what my preference is.

I like my car to be faster than it sounds and not the other way around.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
MIKENSC2SS

Drives: BLACK 2014 Camaro ZL1
In that case I would go with the GMPP off road instead of the street. I have the GMPP street and I can't tell much of a difference from stock. But hopefully the Solo High Flows cats will wake it up.
MIKENSC2SS is offline   Reply With Quote