Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
I have ARH long tube headers all the way to the Borla ATAK axle back headers, deeper sound, for sure, louder? way louder, sounds great at idle, great under WOT, crusing down the highway? brutal, absolutely hate it. just me.
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Shouldn't cost more than an hours labor. I have an M6 and installed the S type cat back system. Cost me $100 bucks to install. By the way, I originally had only the axle back then added the cat back later because I wanted to change the H pipe to an X pipe. Didn't get rid of the 1800-2000 rpm drone but lowered the tone slightly so it wasn't as harsh.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
It is louder. Also Will be louder on a M6 then A6 because of the huge ass center resonator.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #18
tyler20c

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I have just the axel back and love the sound. Installed it myself in the driveway in about a half hour. Check out this video of mine you can hear the exhaust pretty well at WOT. Dont mind the motorcycle in the background.

tyler20c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
ya s type is going to be louder and much better tone... but if you are not adding headers i would go with atak
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #20
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
I have and love the Axle Back....(ls3)... I have been running Borla about 20 yrs.....and true to form this exhaust is top notch..... You will notice after a few spirited drives the tone will change and get louder and deeper....There can be a drone ...but that was easily remedied by Dymatt product in the trunk..... Install is a breeze..... and the money I saved will go towards other mods..... Maybe some long tubes?....
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #21
mojojojo7176

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS RS
Ok so I have a L99. So does that mean I'm doomed to keep the garbage cans or resonators as they're also known ?
mojojojo7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #22
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
I went with the GMMP axle back exhaust only because they where part of the $1500 worth of free accessories, They along with the CAI made a difference!
Before I could barely squall the tires in first .... now it will light them up and sounds good when on the gas .... you do however notice AFM kicking in now, I'm seriously thinking of having that turned off whenever I get a tune

Not too loud at all ... at idle it just sounds throatier, cruizing about the same as stock but sounds real good when on the gas

If you plan on alot of mods I would probably go with a whole system and LT headers. That will get you some more HP but you'll need a tune and be prepaired for highway drone. I just wanted a little more sportier sound and if I got an increase that would be a bonus

Oh, and this on the L99
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 AM   #23
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I bought the Diablosport Predator tuner for $300 and turned off the skipshift crap. Love the way the car shifts now and there is no crappy AFM sound anymore.
1Camaro2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I just did axle back....Yes, I did it because of the price. 599 on southerncarparts.com (C5 vender) and they are running a FREE shipping offer. I just threw 16k down on the car and had no money left. I worked some OT to get an immediate sound increase...I had too, I absolutely hated the stock sound. Made me feel like it wasn't a camaro in a sense...gotta have some girth lol. Now it has an amazing tone and beautiful hum to it when driving...

....the best, BEST friggin sound is start up. Holy s--- does start up sound awesome now. Even my girl who isn't big on vehicles that make 'too much noise' likes to have the windows down to hear it on start up or while driving...now that says a TON.

The S type axle back's tone is awesome and drone is very limited with the axle back. If you have the LS3 the cat back wouldn't be a bad buy for you...would NOT recommend it for the L99 until you tune out AFM.

I was like you...didn't want to wait to save an additional 500 for the mid pipes so I took the jump...don't regret it at all. If you are like me ...I personally wanted to save the extra 600 to put it towards Kooks headers. I am taking it very slowly, one step at a time...I wasn't sure if the S type would be too loud so I only did axle back. It is not too loud (so if you want something that just burns peoples ear drums you wont get it from this haha), so I am going to take the next step up to the headers but keep the H pipe to maintain my resonators in case it is really loud. I think I should be fine with that setup....

If you just want a tone increase with mild-moderate volume increase..axle back is a cost effective way of going and borlas tune IMO is just flat out sweet
I have the axle back as well. And am going to be getting some catted mid pipes shortly then adding headers, i can't wait to hear the sound of it. But the S Type has a nice growl to it, especially when you romp it. at idle it is pretty quiet no drone really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo7176 View Post
So what were the typical install costs that you guys had to pay ?
I was going to install them my self. but first i went by a local muffler shop to see how much it would cost to weld them on(b/c if i did it i would have been bolting them on) He said 50 bucks. so i did that. You just have to look around if you cant install them your self.

Good luck and you will not regret.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ok so I have a L99. So does that mean I'm doomed to keep the garbage cans or resonators as they're also known ?
I have the L99...you won't regret it trust me...it is NOT as loud as the M6 because of the resonators but trust me...you need the tone increase..

IF you do intend to buy a mid pipe OR headers down the road you better tune out the AFM. AFM does not bother me with the axle back, but it would have with the cat back...I don't think I was very clear on that. With the A6 I would not buy a cat back (that is not corsa) without tuning out AFM. Axle back is a safe bet and cost effective

I will be keeping my s type axle back and purchasing Kooks headers soon...once those are installed AFM will be tuned out...

If you can get the s type around 500-600 bucks (I had meinke install it for 70...I don't do well with 'do it yourself' stuff)..then I would say go for it and dont look back
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #26
mojojojo7176

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS RS
Hey brantley or whomever, how long did it take to install the axel back ? The exhaust should be arriving tomorrow and I wanted to see if I could have installed before work the next day....lol feels like Christmas.
mojojojo7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
ummm 45 minutes tops?...... Make sure you have a sharpie...... the proper sockets and a good chain pipe cutter
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
tyler20c

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Hey brantley or whomever, how long did it take to install the axel back ? The exhaust should be arriving tomorrow and I wanted to see if I could have installed before work the next day....lol feels like Christmas.
Took me 25 mins by myself in the driveway. Just make sure you have some WD-40 to get the stock mufflers out of the rubber hangers. And a good saw to cut the stock ones off.
tyler20c is offline   Reply With Quote