Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #211
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
+1

+1 again ...

It must be awesome to be a mighty "Senior Member"...I have a senior member, but I don't brag about it...

"Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien"

Wiki:
FTW

**** the World
(slang) Forever Two Wheels Biker slang.
For the while
For The World
Fun to Watch
(Internet slang) for the win
Free The Whales [[1]](#6, 4)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For The Win.

and you know you are a senior citizen member right? lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #212
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
You are not even junior: not even a Camaro owner -- ya drive a Subaru... FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For The Win.
Ok...don't see how that relates... Am I missing something? Liberty is using his junior member "For the Win"?

Quote:
and you know you are a senior citizen member right? lol
Yeah...but I said I didn't want to brag about it...

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #213
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Ok...don't see how that relates... Am I missing something? Liberty is using his junior member "For the Win"?

yeah, im not sure... either way he fails for being a member as long as he has and is just now bitching about the mail slot.

Quote:
Yeah...but I said I didn't want to brag about it...

I thought you were talking about having a "different" member
lol
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #214
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
threads merged
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #215
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
threads merged
thank you kind innkeeper

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #216
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
threads merged
Merged into what? Is there a Senior Citizen Member thread?

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #217
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Another troll trying to question the Faith!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #218
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Merged into what? Is there a Senior Citizen Member thread?
he merged the NEW mail-slot thread into the original one.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #219
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Another troll trying to question the Faith!
Yeah ... I almost got banned for calling out a troll ... be careful.

Quote:
he merged the NEW mail-slot thread into the original one.
Ahh...got it...

Quote:
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #220
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Ok here is a little history lesson for you. Back around 1968 the GM/Chevy engineers were working on a way to get some air induction in to the engine. What they discovered was that due to something called the "skin effect" the air near the surface of the car is somewhat static. In order for it to have any effect it must stick up several inches above the surface of the car. That is why you see the pro-stock cars with the snorkel type hoods sticking way up into the air flow. They also discovered that due to the air diverting up the windshield it created a low (EDIT: should be high) pressure area at the base of the windshield. By placing a backward air intake there (ala "cowl induction") they were able to create an air induction system that actually worked/did something. So in 1969 the ZL2 "cowl induction" hood became available on the Camaro. Why, because it worked. Of course you have to have a seal between the hood opening and the air intake into the engine for it to work. The reason that all of those neat little scoops and stuff weren't opened was because they really wouldn't do anything/function much other that letting a bunch of rain and crap in the engine compartment.

Secondly, lets remember those functional air OUTLETS in the backs of the front fenders of the 2nd gen Trans Ams. Why were they there? Because packing a bunch of air under the hood creates lift. At high speeds it can actually create enough lift on the front end to become unstable and dangerous. Those vents were to allow any built up air OUT of the engine compartment and alleviate any high pressure front end lift. Believe it or not GM actually has wind tunnels and knows a bit about aerodynamics.

Now that mailslot being towards the front of the car MAY be less susceptible to the "skin effect" and I suppose it is possible that some air could get in there, but where is it going to go once it's there? If it has no way to get out other than out of the engine compartment and under the car you've got that front end lift thing going. But if you just can't stand the fact that that mailslot isn't open then got for it. Might be better off trying to open the BACK of the hood bulge up somehow and create a cowl induction type of intake, but with the engine air intake being at the front of the motor could be problematic.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 03-01-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 AM   #221
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
and Skyman, the mods have been working overtime on a lot of stuff behind the scenes trying to clear some of this stuff up. just takes time.
I was just joking, but if you can do that maybe it would help...

I know all the old time members are tired of the same topics that keep popping up all the time, but with my experience from the Sky forum and the launch I know it will keep happening even 2 years or more after the car hits the streets.. there just isn't alot that can be done about new people starting threads on old subjects.... They have a right to their opinion too.... I guess
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #222
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Ok here is a little history lesson for you. Back around 1968 the GM/Chevy engineers were working on a way to get some air induction in to the engine. What they discovered was that due to something called the "skin effect" the air near the surface of the car is somewhat static. In order for it to have any effect it must stick up several inches above the surface of the car. That is why you see the pro-stock cars with the snorkel type hoods sticking way up into the air flow. They also discovered that due to the air diverting up the windshield it created a low pressure area at the base of the windshield. By placing a backward air intake there (ala "cowl induction") they were able to create an air induction system that actually worked/did something. So in 1969 the ZL2 "cowl induction" hood became available on the Camaro. Why, because it worked. Of course you have to have a seal between the hood opening and the air intake into the engine for it to work. The reason that all of those neat little scoops and stuff weren't opened was because they really wouldn't do anything/function much other that letting a bunch of rain and crap in the engine compartment.

Secondly, lets remember those functional air OUTLETS in the backs of the front fenders of the 2nd gen Trans Ams. Why were they there? Because packing a bunch of air under the hood creates lift. At high speeds it can actually create enough lift on the front end to become unstable and dangerous. Those vents were to allow any built up air OUT of the engine compartment and alleviate any high pressure front end lift. Believe it or not GM actually has wind tunnels and knows a bit about aerodynamics.

Now that mailslot being towards the front of the car MAY be less susceptible to the "skin effect" and I suppose it is possible that some air could get in there, but where is it going to go once it's there? If it has no way to get out other than out of the engine compartment and under the car you've got that front end lift thing going. But if you just can't stand the fact that that mailslot isn't open then got for it. Might be better off trying to open the BACK of the hood bulge up somehow and create a cowl induction type of intake, but with the engine air intake being at the front of the motor could be problematic.
Just a small correction. GM Knew about the high pressure area at the base of the windshiled for a long time before 1968.. in fact I have seen pictures of NASCAR stockcars from 1963 with a Cowl induction setup. Since they went at a much higher speed than street cars they didn't need to have the hood buldge to get the air pressure effect. they took it in at the cowl vent at the base of the windshield.

Todays cars have much less of that pressure available because of the angle of the windshield. the less upright the windshield is the less pressure is developed, it would take much higher speeds today to get the same effect as they got from the 69 Cowl induction setup. sure it would pull cooler air in, but it would not have the same ram effect..
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #223
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Thanks Skyman! Yes in fact you could get a similar set-up for the '67 Z-28's that had a duct back to the slotted vents on the cowl.
I'm sure they have worked hard on airflow managment and aerodymanics and would think arbitrarily cutting open holes in things would most likely do more harm than good IMO. And sorry my post above was soooo long!

I'll correct myself! Should be HIGH pressure area at the base of the windshield also.

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 03-01-2009 at 07:29 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
2010, intake, mail slot, scoop