Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
...........As for you folks who say it doesn't matter because they will never get rid of it; never say never. I am willing and able to part with any possession I have if it means a choice between putting a roof over my family's head or food on the table. If it were to ever come to that choice, I would certainly be looking to make as much as I could on the re-sale, so that aspect most certainly matters.
Respect your statement 100%. Family always first over worldly possessions.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I feel for this whole discussion.... too bad we're getting this awesome car during a damn recession... My trade would be worth another 6k if the market didnt suck so bad.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
All cars depreciate. That's just the way it is. A car that was $40K two years ago is worth half that today, so it's best to get the best deal you can when buying a new vehicle to lessen the loss over time.
Optimally, it has always been best to buy a two year old vehicle. At that point you're beyond the initial accelerated depreciation and just as important, still in warranty. Mind you I have never done that but it is the way to do it and take the least "hit" and risk possible.

Two years from now (or from when we actually get our Camaros) you can easily buy a used 36k MSRP Camaro for 25-26k. IMO, generally speaking, year 1 costs you 20-25% (on your normally discounted price, not MSRP), year 2-> 12-15%, year 3-5-> 8-10% per year... and even less after that. The value never goes to zero. The only difference here is most of us are going to take a slightly larger hit because we decided to agree to pay MSRP. Normally on a 36k MSRP I would fully expect to pay no more than 34k in the beginning of a model year and/or roughly 32k at the end (a leftover). So yes, in the case of this car, absolutely it has to be held onto for at least 5 years to not take a bath in the end. Won't be a problem for me. I held my last Camaro for 8 years.
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #18
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
The other thing is, after someone rides/drives the new Camaro, how would they even think of selling it? lol
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Most people rolling in GT500's don't need to worry about stuff like that. (as in it being a collector car), however I still think its ridiculous the markups dealers put on it.
I agree, which is why I refused to pay the markup. The will be dealers marking up their Camaro's, too.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #20
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
I agree, which is why I refused to pay the markup. The will be dealers marking up their Camaro's, too.
There will be dealers marking them up just like the Dodge boys did with the Challenger. Difference being, this car will be mass produced. By the end of summer, around August, any ADM will be long gone IMO. MSRP may still be in effect at most dealerships but even that will disappear during winter. IMO, by March 2010 anyone will be able to go in and get what would be a "normal" deal on a Camaro- say 2000-2500 off MSRP. As long as you can wait until a year from now... Just my .02
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #21
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I don't care about depreciation, I look at getting a CAMARO. And just look how much bang for the buck we are getting for MSRP. So many other performance car brands are way higher than what I'm paying...
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
Amen brother, I could care less on the depreciation, I'm driving it until the engine falls out or I die.
I'm in this crowd. As a matter of fact, my GF in Orlando, when we went to see it at Epcot said, "that's the last car you will ever buy". I thought that was real perceptive of her.

As for depreciation... I have a Nissan Frontier 4x4 the I'm trading in. It will get me 5k lowest book value. I paid 18k new in 2004. I don't have 30k miles on it. I owe 6k on it now and the book is 9-11k fair market value. 12-13k if Excellent Market value.

Until the big 3 get the little things down pat (paint for one), steep depreciation will be the norm. At least GM is trying. V6 that outperforms the Ford V8 in HP and gas milage...ugh...how embarrassing.
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #23
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Sorry to say this, but all you guys saying you're not looking at depreciation at all aren't the best financial advisors. Kinda goes with the territory when buying a vehicle no matter what it is.

There is something to be said for the enjoyment of the vehicle. I call this "fun tax" but I'm not so blind to think this is the end all be all of cars to come in the future. That's quite short sighted.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #24
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Sorry to say this, but all you guys saying you're not looking at depreciation at all aren't the best financial advisors. Kinda goes with the territory when buying a vehicle no matter what it is.

There is something to be said for the enjoyment of the vehicle. I call this "fun tax" but I'm not so blind to think this is the end all be all of cars to come in the future. That's quite short sighted.
So.? Who cares. A car is not a financial investment. It should be something that helps you wake up and feel good about going to work because you are driving it there.
Why would a financial advisor even mention a "car" as an investment. The Camaro is an instant classic. This is the best Camaro since 69, so duh. Wake up. Its not about the money. It's about the Camaro. The new one that ROCKS. Who cares if it's not your "is the end all be all of cars to come in the future". That's not the point and you don't get it...so take a nap and get your BMW.
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Im looking forward to the depreciation. I like the idea of being able to afford one a year from now and having even more time to save up for one. Let the "me firsts" pay the markup and i will buy off of the soul who paid it.

I was looking on a G8 forum the other day, and I was amazed to see a G8 GT being for sale at 24K. So I hope to see a 1SS available in one year at a price close to that.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #26
zzz28zzz

Drives: 2010 Chev Camaro 2SS/RS VR -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
So.? Who cares. A car is not a financial investment. It should be something that helps you wake up and feel good about going to work because you are driving it there.
Why would a financial advisor even mention a "car" as an investment. The Camaro is an instant classic. This is the best Camaro since 69, so duh. Wake up. Its not about the money. It's about the Camaro. The new one that ROCKS. Who cares if it's not your "is the end all be all of cars to come in the future". That's not the point and you don't get it...so take a nap and get your BMW.
Tell that to the guys at the B/J Auction last week
zzz28zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #27
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz28zzz View Post
Tell that to the guys at the B/J Auction last week
Unfortunately that's all they are in it for... shame shame.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Bought my wives IS350 September 2007. Just made the 16th payment of $1500.00 and I'm just now finally getting out in front really good. I know all about depreciation and it's worth it to me. You could certainly wait and be the second owner and get a really good deal and not have basicaly 'rented' a car until you owe less than it's worth but each to his own. If it's worth it to me then it's worth it. Some people spend money on things that baffle me and I spend money on things that may baffle some. It's not like I don't still have a plan for the future. So no it's not irresponsible to ignore the lack of apreciation monetarily.